1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Water-Cooling Advice

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by themellowtiger, Jun 30, 2013.

1. themellowtiger New Member

Thanks Received:
    As a water cooling noob; I was researching around for an easy installation kit; but with little results I found a thread in this forum recommending to a fellow noob to give his budget and parts to the forum and use the advice of the experienced enthusiast. Thanks for all the help in advance. Im looking for a CPU and Dual GPU water cooling system

Parts:
    Corsair 900d
    Intel Core i7-3820
    Dual GTX EVGA 770s
    ASUS Sabertooth X79
    800W Corsair GS
    128GB Samsung 840 Pro Series
    16GB Corsair Dominator

OR: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/themellowtiger/saved/#savedbuild_434033

Budget is ~3,000 (including parts)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  2. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  3. Knight091

Knight091

Thanks Received:
    I also have a 900D and building a water loop. I am building my water loop and doing custom things to the case etc. You may want to look on my topic. I have two GTX 960 and going to be cooling my CPU and mosfets all one one loop.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185271&page=4

4. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    themellowtiger and Knight091 say thanks.
  5. themellowtiger New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks to all who posted link on this thread; but i found Rcoon's a little more suited (and less complicated) for my needs.

ive decided to go with the RayStorm Twin D5 AX240 WaterCooling Kit

will i need anything extra to do two cards with?

the specs do include tubing; but as i too am quite vain, some blue tubing would be nice.
    Any suggestions on hose sizing (and where to purchase hosing)?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

6. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Where are you buying from? The UK?
    OCUK and Watercool PC are decent.
    Tubing can be obtained from anywhere, I recommend using the same size tubing that comes with the kit so you dont have to fiddle with getting different sized fittings :)

7. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:

The twin d5 is pretty overkill for what you are planning to do but I don't discourage it because you'd be looking at pump redundancy paired with slow pump settings because you have two in there.

Reliability and maximum silence, I like it.

To watercool the two cards you'll need more fittings and probably more inches of tube and blocks for the graphics.

You can choose between fullcover waterblocks or universal waterblock + heatsinks.

Also for two cards + CPU I'd recommend atleast a 360 radiator.

themellowtiger says thanks.
  8. themellowtiger New Member

Thanks Received:
    at the moment i am ordering from the us.

i know the raystorm kit is a bit of overkill; but usually cant stand plastic in computer components unless completely neccessary; and i dont mind spending a little extra for it.
    Would the Twin D5 AX360 work better for dual gpu + cpu setup?

xspc just put out 770 blocks today; http://www.xs-pc.com/waterblocks-gpu/razor-gtx-770

9. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    You'd be looking at either lower temps or quieter fan profile with a bigger radiator.

I mean that Raystorm kit is a bit overkill, not the Raystorm kits in general :)

But as I said dual pump has its perks and if you can afford it then I recommend it for the aforementioned reasons.

Also remember, in watercooling nothing is overkill if you spend more for more features, it makes your building experience funnier and pleasant.

After all we oughta have fun ;)

Oh almost forgot, I'm pretty sure those 770s XSPC blocks are very solid, like almost every product they produce.

10. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Having more than one pump or loads of rads is never an issue. You're going for enthusiast cooling for enthusiast temps!
    As a bare minimum, just imagine you need 120mm worth of rad space for each individual component.
    Obviously with more components and a greater length of tubing you could do with the extra pumping power. For single CPU and single GPU in my system one 750 pump is fine.
    Its best to get yourself about 3-4m of tubing, in case you make mistakes. I have 4m of tubing and still have 1 meter left over after throwing away half a meter for replacement purposes after reorganising.

EDIT: One thing we all learnt, make sure the airflow in your case is good, because MoBo VRM temps will become a problem if there isnt any inner case airflow.