1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Water Cooling Guide

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TheMailMan78, Dec 23, 2008.

1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    We currently have a great PSU guide on the forum but what about a good water cooling guide? Iv been thinking about getting in to this kind of cooling system but I have yet to find a good reliable, comparable guide. Do you guys have any idea where or if we have one or could find one to post here?

2. kyle2020 Guest

3. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
  4. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    a quick search will get you two guide's and countless thread's on here.....

:toast:

5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Well of course but nothing is as comprehensive as the PSU guide on here. Sure there are a million threads on here about the stuff but nothing like the PSU guide.

6. Jarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    what do u want to know??

most convenient good pump is a laing d4/d5/ddc with ddc 18w being my fav

most ott pumps are made by iwaki and are mostly 24v

best radiators are made by feser and thermochill

best cpu block to use (imo) is a Dtek fuzion v2.

best FC gpu blocks (imo) are made by EK.

Best low cost gear thats good quality with all the fittings/fixings you could ever want is made by swiftech.

all this stuff is imo though :D

oh yer. reservoirs should be placed above pumps and radiators should be mounted at the bottom of cases (with the barbs pointing upwards) where possible

7. Jarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    ahh more stuff!

1/2" tube sucks, 3/8" is much more convenient to use and is just as good.

best tube ive used is danger den clearflex, better than tygon to use and 1/2 the price.

A tube of silicone grease should be bought to grease o-rings

about 5% by volume of a decent quality antifreeze should be added to deionized water if using a 100% copper loop (with a brass tube rad).

about 10% by volume of a decent quality antifreeze should be added to deionized water if using a copper/alu mixed loop (with a brass tube rad).

Dont use UV dyes and UV lights, can mess up ur water nicely.

TheMailMan78 says thanks.
  8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks man. This is a great start. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I make the plunge. I would like however to have a self contained unit inside the case like ThermalTake Big Water 760i Liquid Cooling System Kit. I'm a noob to water cooling and this one "seems" to be pretty simple. Or something similar.

9. kyle2020 Guest

You sound like me 5 months or so ago.

Please promise me you wont buy a kit like that? please?

Thermaltake kits are no better than decent air coolers - I had a thermaltake bigwater kit, it was worse than my AC Freezer Pro.

The only decent "noob" friendly kit i can recommend is the swiftech H20-120 compact. 2 units - radiator + waterblock. Job done :)

10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Well it didnt get that bad of a review but I did find this one. CoolIT. Its pricey but I get stuff at cost.

11. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have to agree here. However, noob or not a good custom kit is only a bit more complicated than the Swiftech kit. Check out my project log from a couple of months ago. I should note that I've already changed several things since that project. The Rad is mounted on the bottom of the case, and I've moved to 1/2" barbs/tubing. I've found the temps are better than 3/8".

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=73434&page=6

12. Jarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    people will probably shoot me...but the best noob kit ive used is a koolance EXOS.

Aluminium rad, yes, but the unit does a great job. Its currently cooling one of my old machines with a overclocked Q6600 @ 3.6GHz and an 8800GTX with FC EK block. I have put a 10w DDC pump in series though as the stock pumps suck. Other than that the system works like a charm. Its quiet, easy to bleed, and very low maintenance. Also looks good and is INCREDIBLY easy to install.

13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks man. But I need to take baby steps. If I screw something up I cant work from home. I can only do drastic things when I have a backup system. Its the only reason I'm upgrading now.

14. kyle2020 Guest

Dont waste money on a cheap kit then. do what im doing - I purchased a D-Tek FuZion and 2 fans a few days ago, ordered a radiator last night, and ill be ordering my pump and final bits next week. If you space it out, itll be more affordable and you can research each part more.

15. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    I can tell you that you will not be happy with the Thermaltake kits or any of the Coolit TEC products (except maybe the expensive Elite). None of them do any better than good air. The Swiftech kit IS the starting point. In my experience, anything lower than that is a waste of time and money.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  16. kyle2020 Guest

I really wouldnt recommend watercooling to anyone who has less than 100% certainty in their building confidence / ability.

Its easy once you get into it, honestly. Remember how shit scared you were when you built your 1st PC? I do. look how far we've all come since those days - its the same with watercooling. You have to start somewhere, and a good starting point is that swiftech kit.

17. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    To be honest I'm pretty comfortable building most anything. Just accidents can happen and I live off of my computer. I cant afford to be down for to long. From what everyone is saying I guess when its time Ill be going with a swiftech.

From a scale from 1 to 10 what would you rate its difficulty? 1 being a ram installation and 10 installing a motherboard.

18. Jarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    about 30 :)

lots of little things to remember

19. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    lol just the way I like it. I doubt its 30. 30 would be installing a supercharger on a 4.6 Liter Mustang. I mean Iv read the directions on the swiftech and it seems pretty damn straightforward.

20. Jarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh, right, on one of those enclosed systems its probably not that bad :)

custom WC is quite a bit more in depth.

Like FC gpu blocks are a pain in the ass to install, bleeding systems is annoying, checking for leaks etc takes a while.

21. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    On your scale, it's an 11. Certainly more work than installing a motherboard. The swiftech is basically a custom kit that just combines a pump with the block all in the same box. That's the only difference b/t the Swiftech kit and the beginners kits offered by DD and Petras. You just skip a step with a combined pump/block. You still have to mount everything, cut tubing, leak test etc. Leak testing is the scariest part of the whole process, especially once you put it in the rig. Be aware that that block/pump vibrates like crazy. I had the 120 version of this kit.