1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Water cooling noise

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Paulieg, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been up and running my WC loop for about a moth or so. It's giving great cooling so far. Only issue I have is the noise. There is a constant whine and vibration from the pump even though it is advertised as a silent pump. Other than the noise, the pump seems to work great. Any suggestions that may help to quiet it down would be greatly appreciated. Here is my pump:

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/danger-den-dd-cpx-pro-12v-3-pin-powered-pump.html

2. Breathless New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey buddy,

I had the same problem with my pump in my Boreas MTEC Chassis. It is advertised as a 15db pump, which is pretty silent if you ask me. It however was not silent. There was a constant hum or buzz that wouldn't go away.

THE ONLY CURE for the buzz that it was emitting (which was audible from across the room if the room was quiet) was to lift the pump off of the chassis. By default my pump was secured to the chassis with screws and nuts. I tried lifting it off and putting vibration dampeners between it and the chassis and securing it back down.... still buzzed. As soon as I lift it off and hold it in my hand... virtually silent. What I did was simply place it on a square of sound proof foam and let it sit there. Although not "nailed down", it is secure enough that it will never move. Good luck.

Paulieg says thanks.
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Whine = bad bearing in the pump. I would return it for replacement.

Paulieg says thanks.
  4. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure that "whine" is the right word. A mix of a "buzz" and a sound almost like a washing machine makes in spin cycle.

I may try to find some sound proof foam tonight. It's making me nuts.

5. Breathless New Member

Thanks Received:
    It of course does not have to be sound proof foam, it just looks nicer : )

6. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    LOL. I actually just found some soundproof foam at work that was going to be thrown away. I just snagged it.

7. Breathless New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice :)

8. aspire

Thanks Received:
    You need to make sure the pump is isolated for vibration.

I used it's smaller brother in a build and basically used the soft foam packing material it came in and wrapped the pump in it to prevent it from buzzing.

9. kyle2020 Guest

Im sure there are like wedges of anti vibration gel that can be purchased somewhere, but i cant for the life of me find them.

so what type of foam is the best? Ill be setting my loop up very soon, and im hoping it will be as silent as possible!

10. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The Noeprene rubber from old mouse mats works really well for anti-vibration!

11. kyle2020 Guest

honestly? I just got a new steelseries mouse mat, got my old fragmat i can chop up!

12. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah as long as its backed with neoprene yes, I used an old Clocth covered mat for killing vibration in my sound tests for coolers! Worked great!