1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Water cooling or Air Cooling

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by mrsemi, Oct 7, 2007.

1. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    The last water that made it into my case was in the form of beer :banghead: and lets just say I'd rather not replace my motherboard, psu or high end video card again. :toast:

Even still I'm considering water cooling but I'd probably feel safer with just a good air cooler.

In your opinion is water cooling worth it?

Anyone got a suggestion for an lga cooler that attaches like the stock intel ones for the 775 chipset that works great and isn't ridiculously priced? I like the pop in ones because I have had hideous luck any time I take my motherboard out.

I really just wanna get my clock up to 3.5 or higher on the cpu, running at 3.1 on stock now. Thanks for any input

2. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I just jumped to water cooling for the first time, after building 20+ systems over the last 3 years. I can say that it was worth it for me. My particular WC kit (see system specs) is an easy install, and with a coolant like "PC ICE", you don't have to worry so much about drowning your components. This moderately priced kit lowered my load temps on my Q6600 by almost 10c! Not only that, but it's much quieter than my Enzotech Ultra-X or AC Freezer 7 pro. Oh, but if you do want to stay with air, the
    AC Freezer 7 pro is a good choice, and you don't need to remove the motherboard to install it. I have a well lapped AC Freezer 7 pro, if you are interested

mrsemi says thanks.
  3. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
  4. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    tooo cool YOUR gpu and cpu you will need atleast a 240mm radiator I think.. if you want to cool both gpu and cpu get a custom built package.. people say water cooling is not that hard to set up you just have to leak test.

water coling makes a good difference in temps and if your into having a quite pc its the way to go.. I just took the plunge and now have one 240mm rad 1x 120mm rad and 2 of the same pumps lol now I just have to wait for my stuff to ship and than play with it :) have a new case coming too... I just added the extra rad/pump for safe measure I bought the other stuff here on tpu.

Edit: oh and with that kit you still need to buy coolent you could get low/non conductive stuff like PC Ice or fluid xp.

mrsemi says thanks.
  5. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I can get my e6300 up to 3.5 from 1.86 (see sys specs) on air with <50C load temps using AC Freezer Pro 7 and AS5, but I also have good case airflow, I removed the section grille (area with holes in front of fan area) on the exhaust a while back, this greatly improved my 120mm's exhaust flow, pointed the AC pro right at it, and bam! Gtg! Of course this chip hits 3.36 at stock volts (480fsb). I do hear 6600's can take more voltage to get there, so water may be the route for you. If you do go water, you picked the right forum for help! We have some of the best here for sure!

I'm an Air Cooling fan myself, I'm not interested in water cooling. That could change someday, but it won't be today! But if you want one of the more effective methods, a properly set up Water Cooling system is the way to go! :toast:

mrsemi says thanks.
  6. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, well if I can get a steady clock at 3.5 via fsb on a freezer 7 they're only $20 on newegg. I'm not an experienced overclocker I've never changed voltage and I'm kinda pushing my system on the psu I'm on I'd like to get there at the same voltage if possible.

Thanks for the input. By the way does lapping a heatsink really help much on the temperatures, logically it seems as though you're still bound by the material between the metals I just don't understand how it helps dissipate heat.

7. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    It gives you better contact for a HSF is not always perfect.. lapping it makes it have smaller gaps for the tim (paste) to fill in. As for reaching the same clock as him with the same voltage every chip is different my e6300 dont overclock well @ all for a e6300.. There are guides to overclocking c2d's in the article section of the forum that will really help you learn to overclock.. its eazy, just read trough or print out the guild.