• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

water cooling or not?

System Name Current rig
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Z390 Aorus Xtreme
Cooling Corsair h150i Pro
Memory 32GB Ripjaws V 3200
Video Card(s) Asus 2090 ti Strix
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 1tb
Display(s) Alienware aw3418dw
Case Thermaltake View 91
Power Supply seasonic 1kw
ehh I just think the half inch is overdoing it

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
Processor 3700X
Motherboard Aorus X570 Elite Wifi
Cooling Thermalright Spirit 140
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Z Neo
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX2070
Storage 970evo
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W Gold
Software W10Pro
agree

I dont see the use of h20 if you have decent temps as it is. I have no reason to oc my vid card, it runs everygame on best setting no prob. However when the time comes to oc I would want water. Water is not always better, because it can be expensive, does not cool around processor, you will still need some fans like the ones on the radiators. My system is pretty quiet the loudest fan is the stock Vid, but I plan on replacing with something quiet. There are plenty of aftermarket quiet fans out there.

For me the only reasons to go to water is if: 1. your temps are high and you oc. 2.Like to make things customized (enthusiast). 3.Or you have the money and really want to brag about your cool temps. I have number 2 but I will need all three to switch.

System Name money pit..
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
yes compared to an intel chip AMDs really do run cool.. even massively overclocked AMD chips.. now there is a chip that could benifit from expensive water cooling an intel one.. just a shame intel would never dare admit it thow.. he he he

just for a laff imagine intel scrapping there stock (very good cos they have to be) air coolers.. selling all their cpus in a big box complete with decent water cooling kit.. they could ramp up all their stock speeds by at least a couple of hundred mhz.. claim a big breakthru in both noise and heat problems.. hmm.. as i say they really do have chip that has heat problems.. kind of amusing thinking what folks would say it they actually did that thow.. he he

the only reason i commented in this thread at all was to try and put down the commonly held belief that water cooling just cos its water cooling has to be better than air cooling.. it can be.. but most of the less expensive water cooling kits out there just dont cut the mustard and for the money they cost and the other problems they cause really aint worth buying.. and the ones that are worth buying come expensive.. if u really need super cooling spend the money.. if not put it to better use.. like another gig of memory if u only have one.. he he.. mind u 2 gigs of memory dont quite carry the same bragging rights as a water cooled overclocked rig does it..

as for putting a simple water block on my overclocked grfx card gpu.. i recon the card would die on me instantly cos the memory and power control transistors would probably fry with bugger all airflow to cool them..

hotrippr has it about right.. i think

trog

Last edited:
System Name Woot
Processor AMD FX-9590
Motherboard ASUSTeK m5a99fxpro r2.0
Cooling Corsair H100i gtx
Memory 24GB G.SKILL PC3-12800
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970GTX
Storage 2X 256GB SANDISK SSD 3X1TB MIXED HD
Display(s) 2x 32" Sony LCD
Case CoolerMaster Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) 5.1 Surround Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Mouse Junk
Keyboard Junk
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Anti-Gigabyte rig!
ok, can i get some ideas on what should i do? should i go watercooling or not? i am getting decent temperatures, but i wanna do some overclocking. also my graphics card runs pretty hot sometimes. and the noise.... i hate the sound of 4 fans... its sooooooooooooooooo damn loud. it sounds like im runnning 4 computers at once.... someone please reccomend something good. im looking to spend no more than $120. or around there. any recomendations would be great! thanks

Processor 3700X
Motherboard Aorus X570 Elite Wifi
Cooling Thermalright Spirit 140
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Z Neo
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX2070
Storage 970evo
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W Gold
Software W10Pro
If you absolutely must go h20, there are some starter kits out there. Kingwin makes one that has both cpu and gpu blocks for around 89 usd at newegg. Also the Thermaltake Bigwater SE is a little more but the tubes are a little skinny and does not have a gpu block, but still does the job. If people say these suck, they are wrong, they are priced decent and will give u better temps, if you want to spend more then of course they suck, but u dont want to spend more. These have good reviews all over the place, of course they arent perfect, they arent priced to be. Google the reviews. I am waiting for a better all in one solution, and saving for it, I am in no rush to oc...until a game bogs my sys down that is.

Oh yeah, Arctic-cooling has a solution for the noisy graphics card and will give you cooler temps, if you dont decide on water. I have seven fans and can barely here em.

System Name Woot
Processor AMD FX-9590
Motherboard ASUSTeK m5a99fxpro r2.0
Cooling Corsair H100i gtx
Memory 24GB G.SKILL PC3-12800
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970GTX
Storage 2X 256GB SANDISK SSD 3X1TB MIXED HD
Display(s) 2x 32" Sony LCD
Case CoolerMaster Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) 5.1 Surround Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Mouse Junk
Keyboard Junk
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Anti-Gigabyte rig!
hotrippr said:
If you absolutely must go h20, there are some starter kits out there. Kingwin makes one that has both cpu and gpu blocks for around 89 usd at newegg. Also the Thermaltake Bigwater SE is a little more but the tubes are a little skinny and does not have a gpu block, but still does the job. If people say these suck, they are wrong, they are priced decent and will give u better temps, if you want to spend more then of course they suck, but u dont want to spend more. These have good reviews all over the place, of course they arent perfect, they arent priced to be. Google the reviews. I am waiting for a better all in one solution, and saving for it, I am in no rush to oc...until a game bogs my sys down that is.

Oh yeah, Arctic-cooling has a solution for the noisy graphics card and will give you cooler temps, if you dont decide on water. I have seven fans and can barely here em.

how can i volt em down?

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
"how can i volt em down?"

u mean volt down your case fans.. if u want less noise thats the way to go..

u can put some kind of variable resistor in the fan line... if your motherboard or grfx card permits u can software volt them down.. u need to get them all down to about 1900 rpm..

below about 2000 rpm none of these fans make much noise..

first thing is u probably dont need seven bloody case fans.. he he..

a whole bunch of case fans working against each other just makes noise.. it does bugger all else..

how i got my case quiet..

i have a mobo with a passive chipset heat sink.. no fan.. but the mobo still has the fan connector fitted.. i have two rear 90mm case fans blowing in.. i wired these two together into the same plug and plugged them into the spare chipset fan socket.. these two fans are now software controled (system fan) down to about 1900 rpm..

i have one fan blowing into the case side panel.. i bought a little 90mm led fan that comes with its own variable resistor fitted.. however this on its own didnt slow the fan down enough so i used a zalman fanmate in line with it as well.. this fan is slowed down to about 1600rpm.. just enough to keep it moving and looking pretty..

my top case fan i remove and just left the grill in place..

my 600 watt power supply has nice big slow fan fitted.. this exhaust air out of thr top of the case.. and dosnt make any noise..

my zalman 9500 led flower runs silent anyways but is still software temp controled and never run full out..

my grfx card is fitted with the common artic vga cooler.. this runs near silent and cools the entire card included memory very well.. it also exhausts card heat out of the back of the case..

with this configuration my case runs about 1.5c over room ambient.. and is not silent but very quiet.. u can here it going but only just..

having said that its all temp controled and will automatically speed up the fans if things ever get too warm.. in the hot summer time the system might just have to make some more noise but at a room ambient of less than 30c it wont.. i dont have aircon in my house.. he he..

trog

Last edited: