1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Water Cooling Question(Small form-factor PC)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by blTb, Apr 6, 2009.

1. blTb

blTb New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok. In a few days i'm geting some parts for my new rig.
    I'm trying to build Core i7 machine in a small PC case.
    My new config looks pretty much like this:
    - Antec Mini P180
    - 950W modular PSU
    - Asus Rampage II GENE(uATX)
    - Core i7 920 ++
    - 3x2GB DDR3 1600
    - 2x500GB SATA-II HDD's in RAID-0
    - NVidia GTX280
    - BD-Writer

The question is:
    Is there any good air-cooler, that will fit this case? If not - what is the cheapest way to build a basic water cooling system, that can handle Core i7 CPU with a little OC?

2. Assassin48 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It depends some i7 get really hot because they need some voltage it all depends on the chip you get i would just wait till its built then see how much volts you need

how much space do you have for a cpu cooler?

3. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
  4. Assassin48 New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    blTb says thanks.
  6. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Naw that black ice would handle the load, and then some.

7. Waterlogged

Waterlogged New Member

Thanks Received:
    The pump is not bad and I'd swap the acrylic top for a brass top on the TDX, but everything else...well, I wouldn't touch it. It's best if you don't mix aluminum and copper because of galvanic corrosion. You can slow the development of GC with special fluids(read: expensive) and frequent coolant changes (every 3-4 months) but in the end, your still taking an unneeded risk. You can get the same fillport in brass or Delrin. As for the acrylic T, many of those "special fluids" I mentioned have alcohol in them which doesn't play nice with acrylic at all, i dries it out and causes it to crack. I've also seen some just split putting the fittings in them. You can also get the T in Delrin as well.

I'm not a big fan of HWL (even though I still recommend their BIP and BIX series), they really let me down when they released the GTS line. :nutkick: The GTX does have less pressure drop and fewer FPI than the GTS line but there are better rads out there that do the same job or better for far less noise. Take the XSPC RX series for example, they match the performance of the Thermochill PA series and cost less. They also don't require the stronger fans that the GTX do as they only have 8 FPI compared to 20 for the GTX.

8. Waterlogged

Waterlogged New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hate to double post but I had to leave in a rush for work and forgot to mention some things.

I don't have an i7 but from everything I've seen over @ XS, there haven't been to many i7's that have run "cool". They've all been pretty "warm" (very loose usage of the word;)), I doubt that a single 120 rad would give acceptable temps. It would probably be best to at least consider a 2 x 120 rad as a "minimum requirement". If your really strapped for room, Swiftech has stackable MCR120's on their site that should give a little less cooling power than a standard 2x 120. Another thing to consider is that smaller cases already have worse air flow than the bigger "closet cases" (as I call them) so this also has to be factored into rad selection for acceptable temps.

9. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Yea aluminum and copper don't mix well at all. Even tho I have done that, and ran it for at least 7 months with no issues....I have had very good luck with Black Ice, but I do run my fans at a high speed. With the 240 I have ran two 180 Tecs on them and it cooled the water just fine. I do have a new 120 Black Ice I have yet to use, but it has been painted. I plan on using it on my next build on a CPU with the 240 on the video cards. Reviews state that it can rip out as much as 900watts(the 240 black ice)

10. Waterlogged

Waterlogged New Member

Thanks Received:
    DaMulta, got any links for those reviews? Google seems to be failing me ATM.

11. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Google seems to be failing me tonight also..(long ago did I read that)..I guess we could always email them.

12. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
  13. Waterlogged

Waterlogged New Member

Thanks Received: