1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Water Cooling question

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by nolifeking, Oct 16, 2007.

1. nolifeking New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, im new to this stuff but i have a question

I bought a Thermaltake Tribe cooler, i hooked it upp, and it works fine, i love it.
    The only problem (i don't know if its a peroblem or normal) the coolent from the reservoir keeps sinking, and i have to refill it, but there is no leeking at the tube or the connector or at the heatsink, so i dont know where the coolent disepeers.

Pls help me:)
  2. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    if you just set it up it could be "bleeding" the air out. how often do you have to top it up? how low does it go?
  3. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    how long has it been set up....Some of the level drop in the resi could be due to tiny bubbles in the coolant that have now worked their way out. If this system has been running for over a week and the level is still dropping I would look harder for leaks.

This advise is givin blindly mind you. I dont know for sure if your system is a closed loop, I'm just assuming it is. If the loop is open then evaporation is the culprit!
  4. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    Please verify you are not leaking and a small amount and it is evporating... This would have me very concerned... good luck
  5. nolifeking New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have it set up since 2-3 months
    and i had to refill about 300ml since than
    i think its pretty closed so no air can get in
    i chacked it, and all the fittings are dry in and out of pc too, i have the stock uv reaktive coolent in it, and i chacked it under uv light, and see no leeking in the outer enclousure.
    i also put some duct tape on the reservoir cap, but will try fully taping the top.
  6. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    seems really odd for a closed system to be running for 2-3 months and still dropping its level in the resi. I would look into this further ....Quick question tho....Is the 300ml all you have added ever since the system was built, and had you made any attempt to make sure there was not "gaps" in lines or the radiator?
  7. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just fill it to the top and leave it for 1 month. If the level drops considerably then you most likely have poor quality vinyl tubing and that is allowing the water to evaporate.
  8. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Guess I never really even thought the H2O could escape right through the tubing.....man am I glad I bought my TYGON now!!!!!:D
  9. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Any soft tubing is slightly water permiable. Tygon being some of the best but no flexible tubing is completly resistant to evaporation. A couple of militers of water a year is a usual figure.

The general prevention of evaporation is simply thicker lines.
  10. nolifeking New Member

Thanks Received:
    since this is an in-the-box water cooler and was allready assembled im using all stock thermaltake stuff, so id like to ask anyone who has experience with termaltake watercooler or tubbing did they experience the same "tubbing" problems?

i will seal the reservoir fully airtigthgt tomarrow and than leave it at that untill i run out of coolant, than i'll try changeing the tubbing, but my possibilities, and funds are limited.:) (i live in hungary)

btw.:is there a way to make sure if the tubbing is evaporating the coolent?
    the reservoir is 400ml+the tubbing+300ml refilled--- thats all in the "macine" since 2 moths
    of worktime.
    ps:could that be a problem that i didn't bother cutting the tubbing for size, and using the full lenght of it? (didnt know at first where to put the external unit):)
  11. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just check again for leaks, and keep a record of how far the water level drops after x amount of time.