1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Water Cooling Recomendations and thoughts

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by AsphyxiA, May 17, 2013.

1. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, have not been active on the forums recently but decided to pick everyone's brains since I have a new build in the works. I am building a media PC from parts that I have been given for free. I am looking into water cooling the CPU mostly for the quiet factor and the fact that my HTPC case is rather limited on space. I was looking at some of the AIO units but I am not really finding anything too appealing. Anybody have any recommendations for this setup? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg as I am not looking to achieve crazy clocks but am willing to buy good parts if the price is right. I am really only about $160 into the build since I splurged on a case and would like to keep the price reasonable.

Build specs:
    Phenom x4 955 black stock cooler
    4GB of RAM @ 1600mhz CL9 from G.Skill
    WD Black 1TB HDD SATA3
    nVidia GTX 460
    Asus Mobo (870 Chipset)
    Corsair 550w PS non-modular (in the process making modular)
    Noctua Fans 3x120mm 2x80mm
    Fractal Design Node 605 case

2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Swiftech H220?

3. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    cm saidon 120XL

4. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    ^ I would usually recommend this, but as it's not a hardcore rig and just for "media":

a) why are you going watercooling if it's just going to download and stream movies?
    b) just get a cheaper quieter cooling unit, whether it's AIO or tower cooler; like Hyper 212 or a H55(they're the quiet AIO model I believe)

5. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    hm if it will be media pc (missed that before) there wont be any crazy loads on cpu so even stock cooler will be able to handle it. you can just replace fan if you think it's noisy.

RCoon says thanks.
  6. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    a) because it is also going to be a gaming console and every little bit helps. I will be overclocking some but not a whole lot.
    b) I would love to but if you look at the node 650, there really is not a ton of real estate for a good air cooler. Don't let the 4 120mm openings fool you, the case is packed! In fact, this is the reason that I am doing a modular retro fit to the PSU.
    c) Because water cooling is sweet! I have been out of the loop for years and haven't built a sweet system. However, now that I have a wife, I have to budget with builds like this since I also have other expensive hobbies like my 300whp Audi TT. It makes it hard to justify expensive watercooling parts.

Edit: I know how to build cooling systems, but usually those don't mean budget. I guess I am also expecting too much from the AIO too... The H220 actually looks pretty decent and should run pretty nicely with the Noctua fans I have.

RCoon says thanks.
  7. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    In that case, the H55 is a quiet-fan-equipped and slim(I believe) water cooler. It's all low profile.

8. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looked at a review of the H55, it's not as good as the H220 but pretty decent for a single rad when comparing to other AIO's I have seen.

9. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    The H220 is 240mm Rad, so of course the H55 will be worse, it's half the size! Depends if you can fit the thing in your case, that's why I recommended the H55.

10. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you planning to over clock the CPU?

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    "I will be overclocking some but not a whole lot."

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  12. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Missed that sorry:(

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    My bad, should have put in italics not bold :D hope i didnt look like a bastard :toast:

14. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    absolutely, for a single rad AIO unit, it's definitely a good choice. I really want to go with that H220 though. Right now, I now it won't fit in the case, and really it is because of some pieces in the way. here is a diagram of how the setup would go when dremeling this metal lip down. Do you guys think that the system would be fine with just one intake like this? I think After I finish modding the PSU, I may mount the HDD on the bottom of the case. The caddy really impedes air flow as it is...

Attached Files:

15. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
  16. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I quite like the Antec 920. Too bad i got the first edition and not v4, though it still kicks ass. Had the longest tubes which was what i needed :) Cools my Core i7 920 at 4GHz perfectly fine so i'm happy with it in my tiny case.