1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Water cooling sprung a leak, need help!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ChizzY, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    I seriously think he shouldn't put ANY water or alcohol or even try to dry the parts. He's highly likely to do more damage.
    @ChizzY did you do the swap-and-revert bit with the CMOS_clr jumper after taking out the battery? And check the front panel headers? If that didn't work, then you should really get someone more experienced to do the cleaning and drying bit, before contacting Asus for repair.

2. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    After reading this thread I think chizzy is trolling ya all hmm?
    Would make a good April fools joke for sure ;)
    But if....... Nah :lovetpu:

d1nky and ThE_MaD_ShOt say thanks.
  3. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    It's almost May. So I don't think he's kidding. He may be a real kid imho.

4. 9700 Pro

9700 Pro

Thanks Received:
    I'd also think that custom watercooling isn't what I would recommend to a beginner.

I've built PC's over 10 years and I still haven't built a custom loop, and if I would build one, I would read some really good instructions and other kind of stuff.

5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    he needs to bench run the system, possibly dip them in rice then blow off all dust

6. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    lol i meant tap water in the loop, i would use some kind of alchohol to wash the mobo.

but thats as a last resort!

fullinfusion says thanks.
  7. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Ok I'll give him the benefit of of doubt and suggest a proven way to have a possible fix. Go buy a few gallons of distilled water and fill the kitchen sink with it. Soak the board and gently agitate the board to loosen any crusty shit hiding in the slots then remove. Wave the board around to rid all the water you can and get a big ass box of rice, yes I said rice and dump it in a big bag then place the mono inside the bag and tie it up and let it sit for 2-3 days and I garrentee the board will be not only clean but totally dry, inside and out.

Also works magic on cell phones when your sitting on the shitter checking out you face book and the second thing going ploOp into the water is your phone ;)

Solaris17 says thanks.
  8. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    He could use sensor cleaner. I used some 3 days ago on a 2011 board that came in with thermal paste all inside the socket. Iv used that trick for a few years to get harder stuff contact cleaner or sensor cleaner like for car MAF sensors is super easy and cheap to get at any auto parts store its safe on plastics it dries almost immediately and it doesn't leave residue. Not top mention it melts away all our little sins. like the coolant that is currently corroding his pci-e pins.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...-sensor-cleaner/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=36011

^ veteran to water cooling leaks (dont put alcohol in acrylic loops)

this too. I actually have pictures of me washing a macbook pro mobo that had coffee spilled on it. I used dawn dish soap hot water (from a coffee maker) and a tub (I also for good sport put a rubber duck in it) used a tooth brush and cleaned it. done that with 3 or so boards all worked.

fullinfusion says thanks.
  9. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I would completely stay away from Alcohol. There are too many things on a motherboard that could possibly be dissolved by such a strong solvent, I've ruined one or two things using it (non computer related items). Water is gentle and what the Feser 1 uses as a base (AFAIK).

10. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Contact cleaner id say. I wonder if the compounds of map/maf sensor and contact cleaner are the same...

11. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    Not sure I literally used MAF cleaner a few days ago and iv used it before it will work fine contact the cleaner can be harder to find

12. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    Not at all, any electronics ware store. Or farnell/mauser/digikey etc

http://uk.farnell.com/cleaners

13. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've never had an issue using alcohol on a computer. Yes, Feser 1 uses water as a base, but that's all supposed to stay inside the tubing.

I use electronics cleaner at work and the main ingredient in all of them is alcohol.

14. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    in latvia? Im not sure id really wait to ship a can across the ocean.