1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Water Cooling Tubes

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Garb3, May 7, 2008.

1. Garb3

Garb3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi guys,

last summer i bought a basic water cooling set for my cpu but took it out 1 day cause i thought it was leaking due to a strange smell ^^. anyway its getting to that time of year again where i'm gonna need to use it and i was wondering, after leaving the tubes inactive for 6 months:
    1) will they be ok to use again?

2) they have a pink colour on the inside of the tubes due to the colour of the coolant i used last time i used them will they need to be cleaned with something or can i just assemble and go?

thx for reading

2. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    they should be ok, but soak them in some watered down vinegar for a day or so just to be sure (fully submerged)

3. jbruneau

jbruneau New Member

Thanks Received:
    What do you guys suggest for a water cooling setup, long time computer user, long time overclocker, but limited by air cooling (ThermalRight products have been used so far).

I would be looking for the CPU, GPU, and possibly NB. Do you guys recommend cooling the NB? I would also prefer it to be versatile, move it from my Opteron 170 to a Quad-Core some time...

I hear good things about DangerDen, Swiftech, and Koolance. How about the Corsair kit?

4. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:

the tubing is stained and will more than likely remain that way, but you can try to scrub the inside of the tubes with soapy water to try and clean them as much as possible then flush them really well with hot distilled water

:toast:

edit : IF you are going to use vinegar for anything at all make shure it is dilluted with distilled water

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  5. Garb3

Garb3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thx for the suggestions guys i'm rather new to water cooling hence me asking for advice but if u need advice on products try looking thu the threads as there is a wealth of knoledge here and all u have to do is ask :) cause all the guy/gals(if any :p) are v forthcoming :)

6. SirKeldon

SirKeldon

Thanks Received:
    I'll mount the loop (w/o the waterblock) outside the computer and i'll run it with distilled water to clean it for 10-20 minutes, change the water 2-3 times to be sure you're cleaning it and not moving the dirt (i did it to clean my pump, tubes and radiators) ... besides that took the waterblock apart and clean the maze or the pins of it, first with a toothbrush and vinegar for a minute ... and then with hot tap water 3-4 times, make sure you clean all the vinegar that you used to clean the block since can fuck the rubber of the o-rings, to smell the block it's a good test.

After that, mount the loop again, waterblock included and run it again with clean distilled water for 10 minutes more ... then it will be ready.

Some guys cleaned the whole system with rubbish alcohol and then with hot distilled water, if you do this, make sure the distilled water is running for an hour or more ... cause, the same thing as vinegar, you don't want to leave it there.

Good luck :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. rangerone766

rangerone766

Thanks Received:

the swiftech kit is a good starter kit.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108076

it comes with everything you need to cool your cpu. you could also buy a nb block and be ok using it on that kit. but with a quadcore cpu and the nb on that kit it will be close to the radiators max.

8. philbrown23

philbrown23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    if you are going to buy a kit eith get the one I quoted ^^^^^ OR....

http://www.petrastechshop.com/pecoel.html <<<<<<<that one the second one give you options and has the dtek fuzion wich is the best cpu block on the market, and before anyone syas that the EK supreme is better, NO IT's NOT! I have both and am doing a review on the link in my sig and so far the Dtek is winning unless you have the absolute smallest nozzle in the nozzle kit.