1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Water cooling

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by StormyNights, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StormyNights New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I am new to the computer modding scene and I have been looking for forums reguarding water cooling. What specifics I am looking for is how do you figure out how many pumps you need and what size of radiator to use? Also were do you get your supplies? I have seen many builds using colored and clear soft plastic tubing,(I can find those supplies) But I recently came across people using clear solid tubing and even chrome tubing that is easily bent. But those I have not had any luck finding either at local shops and even online. Dont know if anyone can point me in the right direction, give advice, share stories. I am looking to start a scratch build but I would like to find atleast the basics of what I will need for my build so that I can start planning it out. In order to do that I need to find these supplies and ask a few questions. If it helps any I am located in the midwest usa.
  2. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
  3. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Mankato is in Minnesota. Minnesota has Microcenter (St. Louis Park). Go there, geek out, and enjoy the experience.

Serious note though, they have just about everything there. Make it a point to go there and get a better idea of what you've got access to.
  4. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Man, once you've understood the basics and what's available, the limits are your own imagination. My favorite build was someone who took 1/2" copper pipe and sweat fittings (the type youd have for pressure water supply in your houes), and build a watercooled case out of it... the copper pipe/case itself served as the radiator and circulation, with the addition of tubing to the pump and waterblocks.

And what lilhasselhoffer said... if you get lucky at Microcenter, you might run into the right person who will teach you a lot and show you the goods too.

If you are going to build from scratch, be prepared to spend $300-$500 on a good w/c components.
  5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received: