• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

water cooling

StormyNights

I am new to this and I would love to get into water cooling but of all the reading I am having trouble understanding a few things and maybe you lads would be awsome enough to clarify for me so that I can finish planning out my scratch build.
1. I am looking for a budget system that I can add as much water cooling as I can from cpu, gpu, mossfit, memory, hdd cooler, etc. I want to stick with amd as much as I can. I have never dealt with amd and its time that I do.
2. I notice that there are all kinds of fitting sizes and fittings from clamp style to compression. I dont like the clamp style but have heard bad reviews on compression fittings.
3. I have seen clear and colored flex tubing, solid straight tubes and metal chrome tubes. Any recommendations? I love the straight clear tubes,( i think it is a cleaner look), and were can I find the metal or straight clear tubes, I have only been able to locate colored and clear flex tubing.
4. How would I know how many pumps and what kind of pumps to use. Noise wont be a factor as the case I have designed it wont be an issue.
5. Radiators Nuff said??
For ideas of what I am looking to do is alot like the way that L3P desk has been setup for cooling, or even Guilty. I was really impressed with how clean his looked. here is a link for guilty
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2907502#post2907502
and for Cross
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170499
I will end up having 2 or more resivours, one GPU (for now then will get an sli setup for 2) and all the cooling I can get on the board.
I will post a scracth log once I finish the design in autocad. I have it all on paper just need to get it to digital.
Anywebsites were to get this stuff and recommendations on boards and cards would be awsome.
I have been looking at the amd fx-4100 zambezi 3.6 and the biosstar ta970 mobo (have not looked into what water blocks I can get for it so if I can get just a cpu and memory I will have to find another.)
****I am not looking to break the bank as All that cooling and case will be my primary expense so that I can play around with over clocking and dont want to messup a $1000 us dollar setup. So please keep that in mind when commenting. Once I get it stable and comfortable I will then upgrade the mobo cpu gpu...****

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11

StormyNights

Thanks That helps out alot, I have been looking on here even before I joined. I still need a lil help in the department of my suggestions fo what to look for for cpu gpu and mobo if you have any ideas.

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
Post your how much you want to spend....

You do not need to cool the mofset. That is a waste of $

1 pump will do. I use liang MCP655 on all my systems. Pumps run ultra quiet.

You only need 1 loop and 1 res.

This forum generally frowns on opening multiple threads for the same topic. You should keep in mind that you can add to your own thread when you've got more information (http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184300).

This said, it's time to come to terms with what you actually want versus what you have the skill and knowledge to do. A water cooling setup like the ones you've linked to will set you back 500-600 dollars (more if you're covering the RAM as well), without including all of the case modding that these people have done.

Assuming that you can swallow the price, my original comment stands. Go to St. Louis Park and stop into Microcenter. It's about an hour and a half drive there, but you'll be able to see things hands-on. Online retailers aren't bad, but their specialized nature often means high prices. There's nothing crappier than a small error costing you a week and a fist-full of cash.

Assuming you're still bent on just ordering something, know that custom loops don't lend themselves to easy alterations. A new graphics card will cost you not only its price, but the cost of a new block and the corresponding installation time.

Now if you're looking at this as a first experimentation, you should look at AIO water coolers. Corsair, Thermaltake, and NZXT have some excellent options that won't set you back too much. You don't get the full system extra cooling, but you've got a cost effective platform that you can experiment with.

Assuming you know this already, please disregard my comments. From how you are posting, it seems like you are biting off a heck of a lot more than you can chew. Remember, baby steps might seem like small progress but they cost a lot less when you make the inevitable mistakes that allow you to learn.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11

StormyNights

Thanks guys will be checking micro out tomorrow as i will be in the cities anyway. I am well aware of the cost an figured id spend at least 1k if not more. I may not understand the water-cooling on a pc, but i am very technically inclined as i have designed several homes that have been built in Minnesota an south dakota. I have exp. in hvac cooling, brazzing, construction, i have also worked in a body shop from the time i was 8 rebuilt my first car at 16 that was hit by a semi, after i was done repairing it i ended up taking 2in a car show. I worked as lead tech/manager for a car audio and customization shop from 15 to 21. I also was raised on a farm so i have a very strong mechanical and ingenuity back ground so there s nothing that i cant do with computers. Since starting schooling for network security last year and being top of my class computers ave really taken my life over by storm and i am looking to see how far i can push it. Seeing what some of you have done primarily L3P as he was the first i came across is what is driving me to take on my own personal challenge.

I know that cooling the mosfit is wasted financially, i want to do it for the astetic appeal along with the rest of the case. I will post what i find along with any questions i may end up with. Thank all of you for your help and hope that some time i can return the fav.

StormyNights

Wow micro center was alot of fun. Couldn't believe how much they had crammed into such a lil store. It was greatly helpfull to get my hands on these products, though they had a very small section on water cooling. Enough for just a small loop nothing to get excited about for what I am looking to do none the less I have a huge understanding seeing these items in person. Staff was not knowledgeable or helpful. spoke with 3 techs and each conversation left more questions unanswered than answered. But thats ok still was very impressed with what they had instock. I have started messing around with auto cad again. Haven't used it in years, so hopefully I can get a rendering of what my idea is soon. I may end up with using sketchup. After budgetting out the build I have priced out everything I am going to need and its just shy of $1k. But I am giving a lil extra room so I figure 1500 is closer. I will post more as soon as I can.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
EK seems to have the most comprehensive selection of water blocks for motherboards and GPUs, and their website has a configurator which walks you through the process. Here's their link, and 3 of the best water cooling e-tailers.

http://www.ekwb.com/
http://www.frozencpu.com/index.html
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=index&zenid=a708e72745cb14c45e6a2c89118befd8
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/

I went through the same research for my system a while back, but still don't have the funds to do it properly. Good luck with this project, please post some photos when you're done.