1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Watercooling FAQ/guide

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Fitseries3, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I did. Somebody in the Watercoolig Club (iirc, can't exactly remember where the link is) posted a link with extensive reviews on the fans. Those YL's ranked among the highest in medium speed fans in high pressure situations.
  2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
  3. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    i know what i posted

dont misconstrue what i say

i think you shoud read a little more instead of just posting ;) an mcr120 is not a very restrictive RAD

funny how it seems youre trying to bait me into an argument lately :shadedshu

dont let the flashy avatar fool ya ;)

:toast:
  4. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    intel igent, it's also funny how you've acted like you know everything. Being helpful and knowledgeable is one thing, but be sure to let other people have their opinions. IMO, you two should just drop it.
  5. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    i use the silverstone 110cfm fans on my rads. they are loud at full speed but they have a speed contoller for each fan. they move a ton of air too. too bad their $20 each. and i have 13 of them. LOL!
  6. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    i dont know everything, nor have i claimed to.

he can have his opinion im not denying him of that.

im simply stating the KNOWN facts and not posting speculation and opinion so that WE can all learn ;)

7. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    calm down guys.

i don't know from experience but everyone seems to think the yate loons are great for any rad.

also.... post you water cooled machine pics guys.
  8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I'm not trying to bait, you've just been really insistent on what you are saying, almost like you are attacking my posts, both about the temps with loop order, which I have tested personally, and about these fans. I re-reviewed the link you gave, and my conclusion is still the same, The Petra YL fans are some of the best for rad use, especially in terms of backpressure vs. flow. Even if his rad is free flowing, it's still considered a high pressure environment compared to the open air use fans normally see. They perform great, what do you have against that? I don't see how I was wrong on either topic.

And don't get me wrong, this is just a debate. I have absolutely nothing against you on any level. :toast:
  9. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have nothing against you either bud, but flamebait would appear to be flamebait.

im glad you like to debate, i hope you enjoy doing it with someone else.

like i said before there is NO need for us to discuss what the PROFESSIONALS have already covered.

10. savillm

savillm New Member

Thanks Received:
  11. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    all right, I was thinking. Over and over again, its been a pondering question of mine. I live in a tropical environment and I want to get the best out of my system. So I have been thinking of going water. I have a case that is somewhat water loving.. lol.. Its really water loving. Yet, I don't know much about Water so I want to know the thoughts on everything. The whole set up is what I'm asking about. I don't mind going piece by piece on buying. Kits are cool to, but I want the best for my buck. I want to spend around 300 for it all. I can go a few months on buying it if it's more bucks. I just want to get it all done before summer 1 of the year starts. I thank you all, and have learned a lot from you fits!
  12. Jarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    if its seriously tropical then some sort of phase change/chilled liquid may be in order :D
  13. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    yeah, yeah... Water is what I'm wanting. I don't give a damn for e-penis, or anything like that. I asked for water. Wanting to learn more about it.
  14. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Ok, you want to spend $300, but what components would you like to cool?
  15. Jarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    water can only cool as low as the air temp though. So say if ur air temp is 40 degrees, then ur cpu is gonna sit at 45 degrees idle no matter how good ur watercooling is.

Anyway. Ud want the biggest rad possible. A thermochill PA120.3 and good fans + shroud to match
    Pump - Laing D5
    CPU block - DTEK Fuzion
    GPU - Swiftech MCW60 and ramsinks
    Res- Swiftech Micro Res/EK res.
    Cold Storm says thanks.
  16. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I want to cool the CPU, and GPU. I don't know yet if ram is an option. I would love to cool my NB, but with the blood iron, it voids warr.. So thats still up in the air.

Jarman, I get what your saying, and I do have that in my thoughts also. I've known that since I started looking. I just know that when going into our summer one, I'll be backing down my oc and so forth. Don't mind it, just trying to see if I don't have to.
  17. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Hey, I know you guys have recommended the DTek Fuzion, but I ran across this, and it looks like a kinda similar design.

Enzotech Sapphire CPU Water Block

Have you guys heard anything about it?
  18. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    Sirkeldon has the enzotech. it's almost the same, just a bit different. both are good.
  19. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    decent performer, but i heard the tops are prone to cracking between the barbs

20. SirKeldon

SirKeldon New Member

Thanks Received:
    As far as my own experience with the Enzotech could say, i'll tell you it's in the same level of performance of D-Tek Fuzion since their designs are practically the same, also internally. I choose the Enzotech cause Fuzion was out of stock and the guys who sold me said me the same i'm telling to you. The only block better speaking about higher-restriction than Fuzion or Enzotech SCW-1 it's EK-Supreme.

And yes, my temps are sweet with Enzotech SCW-1 though my pump and rad are "shitty", much better than my old high-end air system, 10-15ºC better on full tasks with 0,13V more of voltage on the chip and more speed, of course.

"Idle" temps (light multitask - chatting, browsing, iTunes ...)

1,39V - 3300Mhz - Air => 35-36/30-31ºC
    1,52V - 3540Mhz - Water => 32-34/26-28ºC

"Full" max temps (10 hours of AMD Overdrive Stability Test)

1,39V - 3300Mhz - Air => 66º/60ºC
    1,52V - 3540Mhz - Water => 54º/46ºC

Ummm, i'll keep that in mind ... but i screwed hard the barbs, with hands as well with a monkey wrench and top it's still fine, i also screwed the hose clamps pretty hard while block was mounted and no cracks on barbs or strange sounds at the top. No leaks also. Thank you for sharing anyway :toast:
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  21. ThatGuy16 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My water cooling parts should be here Tuesday. I bought distilled water, antifreeze and iodine. They said i should take out a pint of the distilled water and replace it with a pint of the antifreeze and use 4 drops of iodine. Does this sound right? I'll be using the apogee GTX, so it has an aluminum top.

this is the stuff, aside from the gallon of water.

Thanks
  22. Jarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    i used deionised water with 10-15% antifreeze (decent mobil antifreeze) in a mixed metal loop for years. The more antifreeze uve got the worse ur cooling will be. By the looks of it ur not even gonna use the water anymore?? (if ive read that right!). If ur gonna use pure antifreeze for cooling u might as well stick to air cooling, it will probs cool better. Plus the antibiological ur planning on using (iodine) will react with aluminium...so its no good, and u dont wanna use a copper salt coz uve got aluminium.

All u need for a mixed metal loop is deionised water and 15% of an antifreeze with decent inhibitors (such as a mobil or castrol 1). I used it for years without a single problem
  23. ThatGuy16 New Member

Thanks Received:
    no, i'll be mixing the water and antfreeze together. about 10-15%
  24. Jarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    ah :) that sounds about right then. Not sure id bother with the iodine though tbh.
  25. SirKeldon

SirKeldon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Advice needed for a new improved loop

My new rad and reservoir finally arrived!!! fit you're great man!!!! (EFFING CUSTOMS anyway!!! 13 days argh! had to tell you) ... and my case has been modded and prepared for the new and improved watercooling system as you can see here and mainly here. I'm telling you the complete parts of the future loop and also i have a few questions, as always :p

- Enzotech SCW-1 Waterblock (EQUAL as D-Tek Fuzion, the interiors too, trust me)
    - Hydor L20 (bringing 700LPH, so about 184 GPH or 3.1GPM)
    - Swiftech MCR-220 (with 2 Delta fans pushing air through the rad, bringing 70CFM each) -new-
    - HWLabs BlackIce GTS120 (1 fan -don't know which one yet- pushing air through the rad)
    - Swiftech MicroRes -new-
    - 7 feet of Tygon R-3603 (19-13mm) tubing -new-
    - 1/2 liter of Feser Cooling Liquid Blue and 1 liter of acid green (thinking in test this last one)

Fans that could be used:

2 x SilenX iXtrema Pro Series - 120x25 - 72CFM
    2 x Xilence (Blue-Led) - 120x25 - 68CFM
    1 x A.C.Ryan (UV-led) - 120x25 - 77 CFM
    1 x Panaflo FBH-12G series - 120x38 - 67 CFM

I thought about one loop and philbrown23 added another.

Loop 1:

[​IMG]

Loop 2:

[​IMG]

In the first loop i designed the only "hot tube" is the cpu > rad with the pump right before the block to improve flow. I thought it was the best option ... but philbrown23 told me to mount it as the second one, i could get better temps on the CPU and also keep the water cooled as well, fitseries3 also told me the second one was the best option ... but i'm afraid of killing the flow to the block. I've almost decided to mount it like they say but i wanted some more advice.

edit (04-18-2008): for suring the best flow to the block ... i'm going to run the loop 1

Thank you in advance! :toast:

ps: feel free to comment about anything but the GTS120 position, can't be mounted vertical or at any other place right now ;)

ps(2): Martin's Flow Estimator recommended me 1.15-1.31GPM with this setup so i think i'm fine ...
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2008