1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Watercooling Gurus: Please have your say..

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by xnox202, Jan 1, 2008.

1. xnox202

xnox202 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's been like two months now since I wanted to decide to plunge for a Watercooling kit. Right now, I'm seriously considering the Swiftech H20-220 Compact Kit as my first w/c kit. Is it worth considering? Since I want to either keep my current overclocking temps down or push the processor further. Right now it's idling at 38c and loads at 54c at 28 ambient.

I also would like to consider if there's any additional upgrades that could make the kit (H20-220 Compact Kit) do better temps, like better block or rads for instance? All I can think for now is probarbly upgrade the rad but still using the integrated pump+block for the kit but then I should be looking for a reservoir and if I chosed that option. If I would choose a new block then probarbly be looking out for a pump aswell. Also with that said, I'm not too sure which pump should I consider choosing.

Note that I also plan to consider watercooling my VGA or possibly my Chipset aswell. It's for my current motherboard, or even for my future rigs.

I know it is better off with custom watercooling kit, but I would like to know by which part if I should upgrade, gives the better performance, etc. I do have a custom watercooling kit list in mind, but I'm not sure if it's even a good combination. But it's a little bit out of my budget. I'm considering $250-$300 USD.

[​IMG]

Or lastly, maybe I should go simple and end up getting the Compact Kit instead? I do want to get the best bang of the buck I could when setting up the wc-kit. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't go with "compact" kits or any other all in wonder stuff. An example for a good CPU water cooling:

Swiftech Apogee GTX $59.95
    Swiftech MCP655 12v DC Pump $79.95
    Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Reservoir $16.95
    Swiftech MCR320-QP $45.95
    --------------------------------------------
    total cost: 203$ + ~30$ tubing, fittings, coolant if you need better

You'll use the best CPU block (you may also choose the D-Tek Fusion which performs just like the GTX), the best pump which can easily be upgraded, and one of the best all round radiators, which can also be easily exchanged with the Thermochill PA120.3 if you add 2x cards in dual and want to cool them. The MC-RES will help you setup and fill up the whole system. Finally adding single or two video blocks to the loop is no problem.

For ~230$ you'll get way better, sophisticated, powereful and future upgradeable water cooling than the 200$ H20-220-COMPACT.

P.S. All parts prices are taken from sidewindercomputers.com

3. xnox202

xnox202 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay I just rounded up the parts you've listed from four different sites, each with their own different prices (Without shipping).

$256.82 - www.Frozencpu.com
    $275.65 - www.Performance-Pcs.com
    $223.69 - www.Sidewindercomputers.com
    $298.77 - www.svc.com

All comes with:
    - Swiftech Apogee GTX Extreme Performance block
    - Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Reservoir - Retail w/Revised Mounting Kit
    - Swiftech MCP655-B 12v DC Pump w/Tach Sensor
    - Swiftech MCR320-QP Quiet Power 3X120mm - Black
    - HydrX Extreme-Duty UV Coolant
    - 8ft. Tygon R3603 3/8in. ID 1/2in. OD Laboratory Tubing # AAC00027
    - 2x Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound - 4 Gram Syringe

I still think I'm missing something here. I'm a little confused about 3/8" x 5/8" and 3/8" x 1/2" sized tubings. Anyone could explain for me on this?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  4. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:
    i was actually looking into H2O cooling myself and am not sure what to get.. I was looking at the Zalman Reserators, and all those all in one systems because i don't like the idea of having the pumps and such internally, and dont want pumps and hosing on my desk.. but.. i'm looking for a new case. maybe the gigabyte aurora? but as far as a cooling system.. i want something that will be able to handle a heavy OC, cpu and gpu wise. running amd x2 5600+, 8800GTX ( soon to be SLI ), memory, chipset.. i'm looking at $200 to $400 max..

5. NeoCrisis

NeoCrisis

Thanks Received:
    the first number is the inner diameter the second number is the outer diameter of the tubing. So basically you want the inner diameter to match the fittings for a secure fit.
    I would go for at least 1/2'' tubing if you plan to set up a GPU block to the loop in the future.

6. Judas

Judas

Thanks Received:

7. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nobody said that it's not a good product?
    I was just saying that if you have $250-300 I would never go with a kit, think I explained why.

8. NeoCrisis

NeoCrisis

Thanks Received:
    theres nothing wrong with "kits" but kits like the Swiftech Compact doesn't allow you to change or add anything to the loop. ie new CPU/GPU/NB blocks... etc etc

9. xnox202

xnox202 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think the watercooling setup I'm making will at least contains two waterblocks in the loop. I'm also using the not-so-roomy Antec 900 case to work with. With that said, consider the space of the tubings and etc so that it wouldn't cramp too much in my case.

Am I ready to order the parts? Is there anything more I should add to the list? I just realised that there are no fans to cool down the rads. :ohwell:

10. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    dont forget clips too :)

11. Uncle Vinnie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here is a complete set for under $200

Swiftech APOGEE GT $45
    Swiftech MCR220 rad $51
    D-TEK Customs DB-1 pump $45
    3/8ID tubing $15, or home depot $5
    Coolant $15
    "T" line home depot $4
    3/8ID barbs $4

For $180 dollars you have a cooling setup that you can't beat, and you still have money left over your budget to buy a GPU cooler.

All can be bought at NCIX.com

12. xnox202

xnox202 New Member

Thanks Received:
    How's this?

[​IMG]

13. xnox202

xnox202 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, oh yeah the tubing clips! :laugh: Anything else?

I finally think that I would like to cool down the chipset aswell. Well it's not much though considering at 27c, my chipset idles at 27c and loads like 33c or so. Do they ship worldwide?

14. Dia01

Dia01

Thanks Received:
    Don't know whether you had thought about it but what about a suitable coolit product. I have been running the Freezone for over a year now and have not had any problems, also keeps the CPU below ambient temps. :cool:

http://www.coolitsystems.com/

15. NeoCrisis

NeoCrisis

Thanks Received:
    you cant add another cooling block to the loop with systems like the Coolit

16. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    i have a coolit freezone for sale... http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=48256

the antec 900 is a bitch to do a water system in. i also have a swiftech mcr320-qp for sale.

the coolit freezone is nice. it keeps your cpu about 5c lower than room temps even when overclocked.

Attached Files:

17. xnox202

xnox202 New Member

Thanks Received:
    And I don't like dealing problems like condensation. :rolleyes: I did considered it, since it's like retailing for 159.99USD (Eliminator). However it's a very good cooler it seems.

18. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    there is NO condensation at all. the eliminator sucks compared to the freezone. the freezone uses 6 TEC's, the eliminator only has 3 TEC's.

the freezone keeps my q6600@4.0ghz around 67f idle and 78f load. not even water can do that.

19. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    That refers to the tubing wall thickness.
    The 3/8x1/2 has a thinner wall and cannot bend as much as the 3/8x5/8. Both have their pros and cons.

Performance difference is negligible between 3/8 and 1/2 tubing. Some people choose 7/16 as they see it as the best compromise between the 2.

xnox202 says thanks.
  20. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    TRUE. 1/2" is a pain in the ass to route but doesn't kink like the thinner tubing does. 7/16" is almost ideal.

21. Dia01

Dia01

Thanks Received:
    Fair enough, what about a Koolance kits, from my experience it has been very good? A little expensive but. :D

http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/default.php?cPath=28_48

22. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    Koolance stuff is not that reccomended cuz they mix metals and are not very high performing for the money you spend.

They are nice to look @ though

23. xnox202

xnox202 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright I looked at the Swiftech H20-Apex 220 Ultra Water Cooling Kit that retails about $259.99. Yet again, I think it's such a old product but still standing out in the crowd (TT Ultra-Ex 120 Wise?).

What's the best kit I could get for $250-$300 USD? I mean, the best of the best in that range! ;)

24. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    build your own. that's the best way to do it. the kits arent ever that good.

25. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    The nail on the head!

The swifty kits allthough probably the "best" out there can be had 4 less if sourced properly ;)

Even somewhere like petras would have a similar kit for less.

Xnox yhpm