1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Watercooling? Maybe . . .

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by kyle2020, Jun 26, 2008.

1. kyle2020 Guest

no chance haha - at this rotation i have enough room for a rear mounted system now, so all is well :toast:
  2. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    bah your no fun thats what i'm doing on mine so i can mount the 2x120mm rad i want
  3. SirKeldon

SirKeldon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Modding can be so funny! I thought i'll never do anything ... and finally i build a support for my HWLabs GTS120 to get it working on a 5,25" bay ... i got profit of the cage of the Thermaltake Aquabay M3 Res (after it broke, TT damn it!) ... though it's not the best position for a radiator it worked and it's working fine ... so you can do that or stick a 220 rad on the top of your case, trust me that it's not so complicated with a drill machine + some radial disk for aluminium or steel, i did it to place a 120mm fan on the top of my case as well as the cage where the radiator is to let a good airflow through the fins of it ... and if you can use a hole saw, much better ... two big holes plus some extra for the screws and you'll be done. You can download some templates on the network.

I just had a good experience modding my case to design my special kind of water circuit besides to decide where to place all the other elements ... even my case is a mofo for cable management or hard disk position ... i finally did it and right now, i have a mid-tower case which contains a 2x120 rad (only part outside, rest is inside) + 1x120 rad + 2 gfx cards + 3 hard disks + one dvd + pump + ram cooler + 9 fans + reservoir + cable management + tubing + 2 cold cathodes ... and i have room to reset my CMOS, pulling a graph out or unmounting the ram w/o great complications ... it's just a matter of patience and a lil bit of free time.

Get into the itch, as cdawall says, it's funny! :toast:
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  4. kyle2020 Guest

i cant afford to haha - im 16 and dont earn enough to be replacing cases if i screw up etc, plus my antecs fine as it is haha.
  5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    i'm 17 its not to hard to get a job that pays reasonably enough
  6. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    its hard to get a job when you are 15
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried to lawnmower you neighbour's front lawns? Do like 10 or so and you'll get quite a bit of cash.

Unless, ofc, none of your neighbours have lawns ...
  8. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    i live in apartments and all the hoses around here don't have much of a yard and they do it them self
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. kyle2020 Guest

i have a job haha, modding cases just doesnt attract me if you get me. i like my antec as it is, id rather upgrade the guts than the outside tbh.
  10. kyle2020 Guest

quick question about the big water 735 - it says fittings for CPU's include all AMD K8 CPU's - mine qualifies for this right?
  11. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    yes it includes yours but like we keep saying Tt is not the best for H2O

let me put this simply Tt for water is like ECS is for mobos
  13. kyle2020 Guest

thanks haha, and hey! CD! my ECS motherboard was bloody brilliant! Just, well . . . pathetic in terms of features. haha. :laugh:.

Ok, recommend kits for under £100 to get me started, but they MUST be nice on the eye. MUST i say! MUST!
  14. SirKeldon

SirKeldon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got a work when i was 16 in a tobacconist's, my first work ... i was on the storage for the restock and also as a shop assistant, it was not legal @ all cause i hadn't contract but she paid me well and the work was not so risky, if i'd had official contract i wouldn't have received the money my boss was paying me, i used to go two days per week bringing me a total of 240 EUR per month just for 8 days (and not full!!) ... now when i'm 24 i'll wish to get a job, with contract of course, such well paid :laugh:
  15. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    swiftech H20 120 just get longer hoses with it

oh and join the 5000BE oc'ing thread http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=64165
  16. kyle2020 Guest

haha i work in a local shop - illegal too seeing as i dont pay tax on my wages (basically get them in an envelope every sunday after my shift haha). Basic donkey labour work, shelf stacking and cleaning, earns me at least £50 a week mind, so its not too bad for my age. Ive been working there 2 years now, and am looking to join the police force after 6th form :toast:
  17. Master_of_Time

Thanks Received:
    Look, I'm building a custom W/C setup when the Bloomfields come out and the socket changes. Intel is changing the mounting holes position and they'll be further apart. So, anyway, I'm going serious W/C with at least 2 loops, 2 Laing D5s and 2 PA120.3s and I'm looking for mainly for performance, but looks too. My advice is:
    1. get the h20-120 kit. It's excellent for beginners in W/C
    2. Go to a department store and look for transparent tubing, it's cheap. Buy some, replace the black tubing of the h20-120
    3. Get some fluorescent markers, they are UV reactive. Open it up, destroy the plastic body of the marker and keep only the cotton with the ink. get the ink out of the cotton with a little alcohol and then pour this into the distilled water and the green water additive that comes with the kit.
    4. Buy some UV Cold Cathodes - AC Ryan's are quite good.
    5. You've got a nice looking UV colored liquid int your system and a very nice effect. Enjoy!
    Enough about the looks, here's what I think about TT's W/C systems: absolute crap! The cases are cool, but their W/C kits are just junk! Here are a few facts for you to consider:
    - the plexi top of the CPU cracks VERY easily, leaks,sometimes isn't even sealed properly in the factory. :shadedshu
    - the pump fails after a few months. There have been complaints on the net that the pumps stop after less then a month.
    - rads are very low quality. Don't get fooled by the large water channel-tube-things... I don't know what exactly is TT's design, but what I know is that they're badly soldered to the fins, often kinked, and sometimes factory leaky. :roll:
    After all, W/C is not gambling, and I see that you have a PC for at least 800$, we just don't want to fry it with a 30$ BADLY built and designed W/C kit, don't we? Cooling, not destroying. :D Swiftech have been know for excellent quality, design, performance and price. Swiftech is the way to go! :rockout: I have a LOT of spare time, ask me anything and I'll try to help you. Of course, I'm not really an expert, I'm only 14, but I'll help as much as I can. Cheers, mate, I hope I helped! :toast: Long live W/C!
    EDIT: Some useful links and pics:
    http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?type=3&id=69&page=3&desc=battle_of_the_water_cooling_kits - h20-220 compared to other kits, VERY nice roundup
    http://www.overclock3d.net/image.php?id=1637 - pic of water channel king, ugly stuff :rofl:
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=22226 - h20-220 review
    www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/Mega_Watercooling_Roundup/Swiftech_Apex_Ultra /index.shtml - h20-220 review
    www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=5275 - h20-220 review
    www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=516509&P=1 - h20-220 review
    www.cluboc.net/reviews/super_cooling/swiftech/H20-120_rev3a/index.htm - h20-120 review
    www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njc5 - h20-120 review
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDkqTcFWu8A - h20-120 review
    www.madshrimps.be/printart.php?articID=283 - h20-120 review
    www.viperlair.com/reviews/cooling/liquid/swiftech/h20120r3 - h20-120 review; broken pics, but has temps results, read it
    www.ocia.net/reviews/swiftech220/page1.shtml - h20-220 review
    http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?SCID=16&CIID=95494 - h20-120 review
    Notes: just checked and I found more problems with the BigWater - copper water channels + aluminum fins = CORROSION!!!
    http://img507.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc007827ci.jpg and http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00765custom1hk.jpg - pics of cracked CPU block top. Killed the guy's CPU, Mobo and GPU... No comment.
    http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gpublockcrackbg8.jpg and http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gpubloccrack1xr7.jpg - more TT fun! This VGA block cracked after LESS THAN 24H after installation!
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  18. kyle2020 Guest

that was my main grudge with the swiftech, the plastic tubing, it looks utter shit in my opinion - ima re-look it up, plus some tubing like you said, and probably some pre made UV coolant, i dont want to destry the setup if i screw the felt tip method up haha :laugh:

Thanks, so far you have helped THE most ;)

Cheers! ill be sure to keep you posted :toast:
  19. kyle2020 Guest

20. kyle2020 Guest

21. Master_of_Time

Thanks Received:
    Did you buy it already? I know that the XSPC block has nice performance, but I think the pump is a bit weak, only 400L per hour. If you need a pump/res combo you should check out this: Alphacool AGB-Eheim 1000 Station 12v - http://www.thecoolingshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/1924. Something else - buy some other TIM (thermal paste), something like AS 5, AC TX2, or OCZ Freeze The last one is quite hard to find, but is quite good too. Here are a some reviews of the XSPC stuff:
    http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/cases_cooling/xspc_x2o_delta_cpu_waterblock/1
    http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/XSPC-X2O-Delta-CPU-V2.html - nice, large pics of the block
    Any more questions? Feel free to ask.
  22. kyle2020 Guest

no i havent purchased one, just spotted it and noticed alot of good reviews on the block. Ill check that one you linked now :toast:
  23. kyle2020 Guest

dont you think that pumps good enough? i wont be doing a VGA loop, so is it ok?
  24. Master_of_Time

Thanks Received:
    Well, it's just that 10/8mm tubing is kinda restrictive, and you should have some headroom for future upgrades. But if you're going to replace this setup with a new custom one in the future it doesn't matter. Also, this pump has a blue LED (at least I think so). You should see if it suits your color theme. Cheers, glad that I helped so far :toast:.
    EDIT: Found it cheaper at Aqua-PCs:
    http://www.aqua-pcs.co.uk/water-cooling-kits-121-c.asp
    You should definetly check the stuff that Aqua-PCs have, quite a variety. It'll be very useful to you. They're UK based, that's a + for you, too.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  25. kyle2020 Guest

well, my antec 900 uses all around blue LED's, my G15 keyboard is blue backlit, my PSU has a blue LED fan, my RAM ahs blue LED's . . . too much?haha.

My main grudge with that pump is the cost. i want to spend around £100, no more. I understand air coolers can perform better, BUT they dont have the wow factor / that special touch a water cooling system does. That XPS looks nice, the waterblock has had raving reviews, i just cannot find a full review for the entire kit, or pictures of it all assembled, which i need really before i buy.