1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Watercooling Noob needs a big hand

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Bo$$, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Ok, So i've been a little rash, went out and purchased a thermaltake bigwater 760i system from Ebay for £60. This also includes a Thermaltake Aqua TMG1. Now i would like to hook this up to a Dual Xeon 771 system which is running at 80c+ under load, however i would like to scrap the current CPU block and purchase a pair of blocks, now assuming the system is stock can someone tell me what sort of blocks to purchase and any 'fittings or barbs or whatever' I would need for this system to work!

I'll be setting this up in a CM 690 II so any ideas to the layout of the system would be a great help!
    Thanks you.
  2. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    The bigwater 760i CPU block is listed as compatible with the LGA775 socket. Depending on mobo manufacturer, the LGA771 socket MAY have the same attachments as the lga775 or may not. If you have already fitted the CPU block on your motherboard and it worked out fine, then you may purchase any 775 compatible block. Some high performance (moderate price) blocks for this socket (you may need to purchase separate backplate adapters):
    Koolance 370 or 380
    EK supremancy CSQ

-Good thermal paste is equally important: IC diamond 7 carat (big enough), AS5 etc
    -Go for compression fittings in my opinion (make sure you choose the right OD/ID ones when compared to your tubing). People prefer Bitpower - expensive but high quality.
    -If you need new tubing get some Tygon.
    -Maybe you should consider an extra radiator in the future if you keep having high temps.
    Bo$$ says thanks.
  3. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    thermaltake bigwater 760i for dual xeon ?? Are you kidding ? It is not enough.

Start some new custom watercooled built, look for cheap waterblocks fittings tube and pump or you will have some issues with temps and compatibility 775 sockets become rare.
  4. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    As he says you will need more radiator.
    I have an ek waterblock, massive heavy lump of copper type and though others cool better this works well and is big enough to cool the processor a bit when the pump failed, saved a processor.
    Id add at least a really good 120 rad or a 240
  5. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    I've taken a look at the motherboard it is running 771 mounting holes EK blocks apparently support it, however i don't know if that they include it with the regular kit...

Tubing is '9.5mm ID (3/8" Tubing)' so I have no idea which fittings i'll need.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=962 if you see something here then i'll pick them up. I will need 2 per block?

Edit: Yes There is an additional 120mm radiator included. I am new to watercooling but I did think about capacity ;) It should be good enough for this usage otherwise i will be adding a 3rd radiator or swapping for a larger unit later on
  6. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    Yes you need 2 fittings per block as well as 2 fittings per radiator (unless the ones you have are already equipped with them).
    You basically need any "Compression fitting" marked as 3/8" - G1/4 in this section:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=962&catid=1529&subid=2229

Choose depending on your budget. You might want to buy angled fittings which simply reduce the need for bending the tube, since you can have the angle pointing towards your next component. Examples (I am assuming that the OD (outer diameter) is 1/2" which is the typical value for 3/8" ID):
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-034-KA&groupid=962&catid=1529&subcat=2229 low cost
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-088-BP&groupid=962&catid=1529&subcat=2229 high cost - top quality

Example of angled fitting (NOT FOR YOUR TUBING SIZE): http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-415-BP&groupid=962&catid=1529&subcat=1826 seems like ocUK doesnt have angled fittings for 3/8" tubing as you have.

In the CM 690ii case you can fit a nice thin radiator in the top of the case.
    If you add more radiators I am not sure the pump in the bigwater 760i can "take the hit" of the extra flow restriction from more radiators.
  7. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    also I was thinking about coolant? kettle distilled water will be good enough? or some deionized water for car batteries?
  8. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Distilled water with some biocide is all you need. You don't need compression fittings but they are nice, barbs will do. You can probably find a used block on ebay/forums for pretty cheap like I did if that is what you want.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    I was reading the radiator is aluminum should that be a problem? maybe something non-corrosive?

With barbs will i need the hose clamps?
    What are good barbs to get? any advantages over using compression?
  10. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the aluminum is a very big problem.

Not to be a buzz killing pecker head, but there really isn't a poorer way to get into a custom water loop, the Big Water kits are so bottom of the barrel that they are below the barrel entirely. I hate to be the one to say it, I was just not going to say anything, it's like when you see a buddy's girlfriend making out with another guy, but someone has to. I'd put the kit back up for sale and use the money on something you will really be happy with.
  11. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Use glycol based coolant and its no issue .hes not entirely wrong though as I started with the kandalf lcs case Tt pre installed loop but only its front 320 rad remains now but you like me can improve it as you go ie each drain I end up swapping stuff out .bout right now tho
    Id go compression fittings as there more worry free and reuseable
    Bo$$ says thanks.
  12. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    the cheapest loop i can get for a 2x120 or single 240 that is £150 so if i spend another £60 on blocks + fittings now it'll be great. with this i want to slowly upgrade, eventually i will sell off the entire thing and grab a new pump and a res but for now it'll do :) but i do understand your point

Are these compression any good ?
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/tfc-...on-fittings-g1-4-to-10mm-tube-(3-8)-(10-pack)
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  13. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    You Don't Need Compression Fittings. Just Get barbs

Seriously though,

Resell that Big Water kit, and get a XSPC Rasa kit with an extra block and call it a day.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  14. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    You can get a decent pump from bmaverick on the forum for $35 and res for $20 or less from ebay. A $35 doller block. You could probably get a 240 rad off ebay or in the for sale forums for a good deal. Then tubing and barbs, or compressions if you reaallly want them, and you got yourself a loop.
    Bo$$ and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    stinger608 and Bo$$ say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Heldelance

Thanks Received:
    MORE RADIATOR!!! MOOOOOOORE!!!! Seriously though, preplan where you're gonna put it. I, like a total nublet, bought an RX480 radiator (huge mofo) which doesn't fit on my case (HAF 932).

Luckily, I made a bit of a nice modification on mine. Made myself an Esky A/C (Not using ice but those gel filled icepacks) with the radiator mounted on it. When it hits hotter weather (can get to the mid 30s here) I put in the icepacks and turn on the intake fans and it drops the temps a fair bit.
    Bo$$ says thanks.
  17. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Ok guys i do understand that in terms of water cooling the bigwater is shitty and i genuinely am taking your comments into due consideration, well until i get some extra money the XSPC kit is out of my budget, I most likely will be swapping the rest of the system out soon, but for now it'll cover me just fine.

ok, with barbs, do i need hose clips?? how much better are the fatboys compared with the regulars?
  18. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I would like to hear that also. A barb is a barb. I can not imagine one being significantly better than another.

If you have 1/2 inch barbs and 7/16 tubing you don't need a hose clamp/clip. Otherwise you do. The hoseclamps I ordered from DD going out for my first loop turned out to be way to big for 1/2 tubing so I went to the hardware store and bought a pack of 20 metal ones for $.07 each.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    Anyone can identify this block? does that look like it'll do a 771 socket?
  20. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  21. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    wow thanks!

only issue i see is that the AMD plate looks like it has the right holes for 771! so i'm so unsure which plate i need, most of the ones which do 771 need the AMD plate!

any used a 771 setup?
  22. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Said on site that both come in the retail kit. Just make sure if you get one used it comes with all the hardware. Then you can figure it out easier with parts in your hand. I have not use 771 boards, but I do know of the fact that unless you want some stock looking cooler, there aren't many options.
  23. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Whatever you end up doing, please show pics and the works.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    I hate you all :p
    i'm doing custom water now. bought up a res and pump will only need a fricking radiator now!
    MT Alex and grunt_408 say thanks.
  25. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    You will not regret it. Post lots of photos.