1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

watercooling question

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Elmo, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Elmo

Elmo

Thanks Received:
    Can you use a fish tank pump ? The ones that pump water obviously.. just wondering because im sure the fish tanks one are higher grade ? Or am i wrong

2. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure that you can but check the head (pump pressure) and flow (l/s) against the "normal" pumps. I'm sure that the big players in the water cooler pump industry (Laing and Swiftech) has at least if not better quality then the fish tank pumps. At least one of the manufatures (Eheim) does both.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. Elmo

Elmo

Thanks Received:
    Will do more research on exact specs because if the water flows through the system faster doesnt that make it more efficient?

4. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Higher flow will help until a certain point where heat transfer will be your limiting factor. You should buy a pump that is either quiet at full speed or a high capacity pump which can be regulated down to a desired noise/temperature level.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    to ask that first: how are the specs on your fishtank pump? how many litres/hour and how much head pressure? ;)