1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Watercooling set up?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Tomcat81970, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Tomcat81970

Tomcat81970 New Member

Thanks Received:
    For christmas i would like to get a watercooling setup, ive been looking around and i like this kit at xoxide.com, I would need it for socket 775.

http://www.xoxide.com/swiftech-h2o-apex-ultra-extreme.html
    anyone know how good it is?

Otherwise....
    Any suggestions (better price for performance)? How good is this kit? Build me one for the same priceish?

New to the whole watercooling thing, not exactly surewhat is a good heatsink or brand in the watercooling market.

Thanks for the advice!

2. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    i like that kit too, its great, the only thing i'd change is the coolant, cause i like high quality uv reactive midnight blue non conductive coolant.

Tomcat81970 says thanks.
  3. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats a great starter kit.

Tomcat81970 says thanks.
  4. Tomcat81970

Tomcat81970 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks, and yeah i have a uv cold cathode, and i might get another one (my second one walked off some where) and blue would be sweet, even with my blue led fans.

and thanks chewy, the only other kit would be the one with the single 120mm radiator at this link, i dont think the pump is that good tho...

http://www.xoxide.com/swiftech-h2o-80-micro.html

its a decent bit cheaper, i just want to run my cpu for now, but i know later i will be going to the gpu as well, when i upgrade my gpu.

coolant wise, this stuff?
    http://www.xoxide.com/fluid-xp-extreme-coolant-blue.html

or this cheap stuff?
    http://www.xoxide.com/primoice-nonconductive-fluid-uvblue.html

5. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think both pumps are good.. the samller one has 13 feet height which is pretty nice.

I think the 655 has more power though.. you need to look at flow rate and head height.

Both pumps are good the 655 has a higher flow rate, the 350 has more head height :p

In my unexperienced opinion the 655 is a better pump.. some blocks like a higher flow rate.

6. Tomcat81970

Tomcat81970 New Member

Thanks Received:
    aww the Swiftech H2O-220 Apex Ultra Water Cooling Kit is out of stock at both newegg and xoxide, newegg isnt expecting it in until 1/1/08 :(.

but wait! svc has it :D

http://www.svc.com/h20-220-apex-gt.html

you guys know if there are any water coolers for the 3870s yet?

7. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
  8. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    nice link there nflesher87,i like the danger den lovers kit.pity i dont live in the usa.

9. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My only concern about non-conductive coolant is that it corrodes water blocks over time. I read this either on Tom's Hardware or Xoxide. It did not say how long it would take for something like this to happen though.

10. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    i never heard about the corroding, source please?

as for the coolant, the fluid xp is exactly what i had in mind, the new ultra fluid xp is freaking crazy, suppossed to have the best temps from some review i red and the ub is so cool!

11. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I did polish the Waterblock prior to installation about 6-9 months ago , and I am running PC ICE coolant , and really I have seen no corrosion of the block. I do have the clear top in my TDX so it is easy to see the guts!

12. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    fluid xp and other ones (I tghink the Den Denger ones does it worse) leaves a sticky residue if it spills.. maybe over time (I'd hope a good long time) it could build up this sticky stuff onto the block and tubes? possible but I dont buy it because I'll be using this stuff and havent heard of that happening from all I've read.

13. Bonerheimer_c New Member

Thanks Received:
    I basically have the Danger Den Lovers kit and it has been working great for me. Does a great job keeping an over clocked core 2 and 2900pro cool. I have been using PC Ice for about a year now and I have not noticed any corrosion or anything like that. I have drained my loop and refilled it with new fluid at least once though, so maybe that is why. I would recommend non conductive fluid for a first timer. It saved me from having to buy a new video card. I leak tested for 24hours and saw no leaks. However, about 3 weeks later I started getting some sort of strange artifacts. When I looked closely I saw that there was a small puddle of PC Ice on the back of my 7800gt. I took the card out cleaned it off with alcohol and it was good to go. The PC Ice + dust mixture obviously carried some current since it caused some artifacting, but I am guessing I would have been buying a new card if it had been a water leak. Have fun!

14. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have some parts from a Apex Ultra kit for sale, check out my FS thread in sig.

My kit worked great, kept my opty 170 under 40c at 3.0 1.55vcore. Shame I had to sell my rig.

15. Aguiar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi...i builted my WC system , buying it on single parts and i believe you can do the same and save some money...look for that pieces in a good WC stuff selling house...easy to built and maybe not so expensive as that kit...you try it and check prices.

16. rangerone766

rangerone766

Thanks Received:
    crazypc.com has that swiftech kit in stock. i have the same kit and like it alot. has everything you need to get started.:rockout::rockout: