1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Watercooling worth it?

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by JNUKZ, Jan 8, 2013.

1. JNUKZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    I currently have this coolermaster K350 and I was thinking on a watercooling system. So my case have this:
    Front: 120mm fan x 1
    Rear: 120mm fan x 1
    Bottom: 120mm fan x 1
    Side: 120mm fan x 1

I'm sure if worth it mount a watercooling system or should I buy a new case. For you guys who understand this better than me can you indicate me a cheap case that atleast worth it?
  2. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    It's not worth it unless you're either heavily overclocking and hitting high temps or live somewhere excessively hot. Also, and I'm not as much of an expert as I'd like to be, but high-end air cooling is generally considered better (and less expensive AND more reliable) than entry-level watercooling. If you're going to get something, you shouldn't go too cheap. Most of all, check reviews.

So, how much overclocking would you like to do? Did you have a watercooling kit already in mind?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Water cooling a pentium G380, I would think would not be worth it. Just buy a Corsair H60i or H80i all in one, if you want better cooling. Are you clocking that chip?
  4. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Not with that CPU its not,drop a 3570k or 3770k in there and sure.
    MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  5. JNUKZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm getting a I5 3570K and probably overclock it to 4.5 or more.
  6. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    I may be wrong, but I've found that the biggest contribution to heat is when you start adding voltage (rather than just bumping up frequencies). My old 30c load Phenom II X2 started hitting 45-50c at 1.55-ish volts even on rather good air cooling. If you're not going to add voltage (or not going to add much.. 1.35v-ish), I'd stick with air cooling. My $30 Xigmatek S-1283 holds up excellently on my new X6, although I haven't pushed much voltage through that.

Maybe some Intel folks can chime in, but 4.5GHz should be doable on good air cooling.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I only do watercooling as a hobby... I had a lot more time on my hands when I built my last rig, and not sure if I'd put all that time and money into it again.

From my experience, you'll get 10%-20% better overclock with water. And of course, much better temps if done right :)
    JNUKZ says thanks.
  8. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Best setup for your case would be an aio setup. Your case doesnt even support a 2x120mm you could try running dual 120mm rads in the intake and exhaust with push/pull fans, but thats about were you will max out. A good air cooler or aio watercooler would be better served and fully capable of cooling that chip at 4.5.
    JNUKZ says thanks.
  9. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Get an H80i or an Antec 920.
    JNUKZ says thanks.
  10. bmaverick

bmaverick

Thanks Received:
    That is a high OC to achieve and needs to have the right GPU, memory and cooling to reach. A nice limit is 4.2Ghz OC otherwise. It gets more expensive in th WCing realm to cool more than the CPU. Most WCing complete kits should do nicely for CPU only.

WCing still requires case fans one way or another. HDD, RAM, MB all have heat too.

It is very possible to hit the 4.0 to 4.2Ghz OC with air cooling. Look at a few good solutions that are easy to clean out the dust bunnies twice a year.

For WCing, you'll need to flush the system about twice a year and clean out the dust bunnies out of the RAD. Plus, WCing eats up more electric because of the two fans on the RAD and the pump. If you add a fan controller, it may help a little. It all adds up.
  11. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget than 3570K is a 77W chip. It really doesn't take that much to cool these properly, regardless of what anyone says about IVB chips having "high temps". 4.5 GHz is a very realisitic goal for DECENT aircooling..nothing too fancy required, really. Intel wouldn't offer OC warranty and then tell users "Go Ahead and push it, we got your back" if cooling was truly a big problem.

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

"High temps" aren't an issue for these chips, contrary to popular belief. They are perfectly fine, even hitting 100C under extreme loads. 105 C is when they begin to throttle.
    Jack1n and JNUKZ say thanks.
  12. JNUKZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the answers, so I will buy the H80i. :)
  13. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Considering the fact that the stock turbo frequency for a 3570k is 3.8GHZ,OCing it to only 4 or 4.2 seems pretty pointless,i dont have the best 3570k sample and my chip needs around 1.32v to stay at 4.5ghz,if he gets a decent sample that needs about 1.28,an air cooler will do,as for the H80i it can handle alot more than 1.28v.
  14. JNUKZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    From what I heard Ivy cpu's have high temps when overclocked.
  15. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Nothing an H80i cant handle,you can push 1.4v and still not worry about it.
  16. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Just because you feel 75 C is "high", doesn't mean it really is. 100C would boil water...try doing that with IVB. You probably can't even cook an egg on IVB with a crap cooler. Even the stock coolers do not get hot physically. The CPU REPORTS "high" temperatures, sure, but that doesn't mean they are actual temperatures, really.

It's a matter of perception, one which I would very much like to break.

You'll also find many sites with OC guides telling you to increase VCCSA and VTT for memory OC'ing on IVB, and I disagree with that as well.

My opinions are based on my own personal experience, not info from OEMs, or other reviewers, so often, you'll find I say things that do not coincide with popular ideas.

And all I can say to that is:

Oh well.

:roll:
    JNUKZ says thanks.
  17. Pehla

Pehla

Thanks Received:
    i have been reading and watching cooling reveiws for days now..i will give u lik later so u can watch it too..
    and from what i have get is that twin tower aircollers rock's the house...termalright silver arrow sb-e extreme is way beter then any closed loop water cooler with 120mm rad!! its huge coler and looks great!!watch the vid pls..
    http://youtu.be/u8HsjgtMzEg
  18. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    well they look cool and a good way to milk out your system for more performance. and a good way to drain your wallet too I might add.
  19. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Honestly a AIO water unit is all you would need. Full out watercooling only seems to have a purpose when GPU cooling is needed. 2600K @ 4.5ghz 1.33V with a entry level water 2.0 performer didnt even hit the 60's full load crunching 24/7
    Crunching for Team TPU