1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ways to persuade my father to let me build a PC

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by crazy pyro, Nov 26, 2008.

1. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here's the situation:
    My dad's decided I'm not allowed to build myself a PC and I've instead got to get a local PC shop to build it or buy a prebuilt (He'd prefer the second, my bank account prefers the first or building it myself).
    As you've probably seen I've got a system specced up on ebuyer and ready to be bought, I just need the parts to arrive in order to build the beast.
    The local PC shop is saying they'll charge £30 to assemble the rig himself, however I believe his knowledge may be rather limited when it comes to computers, this is based on him saying I'd need an 850w PSU to power the system in my sig, despite my having been told repeatedly I need nothing of the sort even if I want to crossfire 2 4850s, he's basing that on his system running an 8800gtx on a 1.3kw PSU.
    So, here's the problem I'm not entirely confident in giving all my parts to him since he sounds like a PC muppet.
    If I order the parts today or tomorow I may be able to assemble the system on monday and get some serious gaming in that night (I have the day off school). So, how do you guys think I should persuade my dad to let me build the machine?
  2. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Are you paying for the PC yourself?
  3. Duxx Guest

Ship the parts to a friends house, and build it at your friends place and say you had some dude make it. Trying to convince parents is the hardest thing in the world, they are stubborn beyond belief. He will never know the difference and as long as you are competent and have confidence you won't !@#$ it up, you should be fine :D
  4. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    Tell him that every time a pre-built POS is bought, God kills a goldfish. (Replace goldfish with his favorite animal)
  5. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL, I'll think about doing that, it'll save me £30 which means I can up the spec back to having an e8400 rather than the 7300 I'll probably be going for.
  6. Stephen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just order them and build it, I did.

My dad didn't even know I was going to build one until the parts came.

Or you could get them shipped to a friends house and build it there and tell him you got that guy to build it!
  7. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^ What I do.
  8. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    My dad didn't want me to as well.. I just ordered the parts and showed him that I built it and now I get to buy all the parts I want(with my money that is :laugh:)
  9. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    I'd say honesty is the best option. Order the parts without telling your parents, build it and then when it's working tell them you built it.

The other option is to take your current rig apart, take a photo of it in bits and put it back together, then show your parents you were able to do it. If after that they still say get the PC guy to do it then just build it at a mates...

Unfortunately my experience with computer guys is terrible, the one near me knows sooo little and lies constantly to try to cover up for his lack of knowledge.
  10. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Lol, my dad encouraged me to build my own (so he doesn't have to) LOL
  11. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    :roll: Good one.

Show him this thread.;)
    This place is packed with people who know more about hardware, software and everything that has to do with electronics then that one guy at your local hardware shop. ( who most of the time doesn't know sh#t):laugh:
    And i will tell your father now that you will end up here for sure if you buy a pre build because you will run in to problems earlier then when you build it from scratch and ask here if you can't figure it out. + It will save you cash to buy better hardware. Because when you have the chance to order out, you WILL save even more.:D
  12. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    LOL, I used to have to find ways to hide new hardware since I didn't want parents to know I was getting, but the issue of building my own PC's was never a problem. Honestly I think the best way to have him allow you to build the PC yourself is tie how you're saving $ due to the finacial crisis the world is in by doing it yourself.
  13. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    Problem is he knows I'm buying all the parts so he'll wonder where they were, also my friends who would be able to build it with me are to put it simply not easy to get to and it would be a MAJOR pain in the ass to get there with all the parts (Can't drive)
    Yes, I am paying for the system out of my own money which is why I want to build it myself since I don't trust that guy in the local shop.
    This guy in the local shop does sound like a bit of a nut, an 850w PSU for a 4850, that's not needed in any way is it?
  14. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    First off, the $$ for assembling and installing OS is mostly crap but on the rare occasion it may have some warranty. Check into that for sure.

I would let you dad know by building this computer it will save $$ and help build experience in a field that will help you get a job!! Also tell him it can double for a project for school and just start a new build thread here for back up.

Also tell him that if he lets you build your own, you'll return the favor when it comes to his next computer needs.

No need at all. He's probally suggesting a 850W junker to save $$.
  15. Stephen New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would never EVER pay someone to do anything with my computer.

My dad wanted a new hard drive in his computer so he paid some dumb arse to do it. The hard drive ended up wrapped in bubble wrap in the spare cd drive slot... This guy couldn't even put a hard drive in
  16. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Well I was always brought up believing (and being taught) that my money, is my money to do with as I wish. If by paying this moron to build your PC you have to drop the specification of your PC, then just order the parts and do it while he's at work or something. That way when he comes home you can explain that you've done it yourself and got better value than using the PC guy.
  17. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you have a old case just ship the parts to a cousin's house not a friends since they are not that trustworthy. Then when sometime ur dad's at work get the parts to ur house and build it. He won't notice a difference because it's the same case.
  18. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm installing the OS, it's literally just the assembly I'd be paying the guy for.
    There's warranty on the build to the degree that if something goes wrong hardware wise he'll fix it, no warranty whatsoever for the OS though, they've got a sheet up on the wall saying:
    "Microsoft OSes are fragile, once the computer leaves the shop we take no responsibility for it)
    I wish my school ran IT courses so I could get an IT job but it doesn't because it's full of special people (I mean the teachers).
    I'd happily help him rebuild his but he's moving from a desktop to a work laptop and I'm acquiring his office, I'm not gonna be going near that laptop since if it breaks I'll be in the poo.
    I could of course hold the copy of MS office hostage until he lets me build the PC myself since he can't stand open office which his company are forcing on him lol.
    Can't ship to cousin's house since the nearest one lives 20 miles away, I could catch the train there etc but I wouldn't EVER let any parts in that house since there's a 5 and a 7 year old kid who live there (They're my cousins).
    I could on the other hand ship it to my gran's, build it and hope to crap he doesn't come in half way through the build.
  19. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Seriously, just do it. He can't stop you once you've done it :p
  20. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    As others have said in this thread there is no need to get any unit that powerful, hell i don't even need 850 for my current rig. I'd say a good 600w would give you more than enough headroom for current parts and upgrades in the future. If you still have any doubt the official ATI requirements spec sais a 450-550w psu will be enough for a 4850 with average system specs link: http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonhd4800/requirements.html.

Out of interest is the reason for you not being able to build the rig because of a risk to the parts (ie you'd not build it right, damage something etc) or is it because of the risk to yourself (my parents thought i could electricute myself when i built my first pc)? Makes a counter argument easier to form if you understand their fears.
  21. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:

Thats crap, all the hardware you have comes with at least a year warranty if new. The OS is generally the point of most problems but out of the last 100 new builds from TPU members probally not one of them has had troubles that prohibit them from using thier new computer.
  22. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why is it that people that get jobs at geek squad and local pc shops are tards but people that pay attention to whats new and know what they are doing never get them? I applied at geek squad and a couple places around town and called an never got crap and went back and some idiot was trying to tell me my 4ghz e7200 would get stomped by his q6600 at 2.4ghz and that I should get a 8600GT instead of a 4850.

6,666th post lol
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
    The Metal Gamer says thanks.
  23. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol. Maybe when pyro's not home, he'll get angry and burn it up maybe but u've already done it, and he'll only probably yell at u for like a day. Then a week later it's like nothing happened,

They're to geeky that they got there head's blew up and turned dumb and say some crappy stuff. But the q6600 part is kinda true but only for multi tasking.
  24. random

random

Thanks Received:
    I say let him know that your building it when your parts arrive, not much he can do then but help you at least. I highly doubt he'll get you to send it back for extra monies.

My family hates me spending on my PC. Me being 19 and the rest of my family 20 and up, none of them are interested in computer hardware but are very interested in financing and budgeting.
    So yeah I usually camp the door for the delivery guy and tracking makes it easy. I grab the parts, run up to my room, lock the door, quickly install it into my pc, hide the box and vuala. My bro sometimes wonders how I could run crysis so fast with 1 4850 lol, no-one in this household knows or could hardly care checking that I've actually spent 500 dollars on a GPU setup.
    EDIT: Building a PC could take you a few hours unless you can lock yourself up in the room for that long, you'll have to tell your dad either way unless his at work in the morning or something.

Money is provided by centrelink (An aussie thing). :)
  25. wolf2009 Guest

bring him here and show him how easy it is and in the end CHEAP .

The CHEAP part should convince him, and make some other promises that you will do this and that.

That should do it.