1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WC Loop Issues?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by [Ion], Apr 15, 2013.

1. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Hey all!

I put together a custom (well, from a kit) loop for my i7-3930k a couple week ago. I've noticed over the past few days that the tubing and/or water have a decidedly yellow-brown tint to them. Now, when I was putting things together, I noticed that the tubing was slightly yellowish, and I saw reviews to that effect, but things seem more colored than before.

When I assembled the loop I put a few (four or five) drops of Dead Water into the reservoir with the deionized water--I assume that should have been enough to kill all life forms? Is it possible that my loop is brownish because there are things growing in it?

If so, what would I need to do? Would more dead water be sufficient, or would I need to drain it, clean out everything, and then re-assemble it?

manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear of the issue., though I'm not of any help unfortunately. Did you buy new or used?

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Brand new from FrozenCPU

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Could be some bacterial contamination- deionized water doesn't necessarily remove all of the organics... just the minerals/salts, etc.. A little more dead water or a silver coil may take care of it.

I know more about water treatment than I do about PC water cooling loops so take my $0.02 with a grain of salt :eek:

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    LOL, opinions will vary! So here's mine :) ...having gone through a chemical deposit in my loop: If it's biologic growth, you should be able to wipe the inside of the tubing with a cloth and it'll come right off on the cloth. You should also get the same result on opaque parts of the inside (like the pump impeller, barbs, etc.) If you don't find that the case, then the tubing itself may just be yellowing from UV, sunlight or exposure to other chemicals.

Got any pics?

6. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I had assumed bacteria of some sorts. However, the dead water said to use a drop per liter, and I used considerably more, so I couldn't imagine it was bacteria...

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Even straight bleach isn't enough to kill ALL "bacteria".

I think you wanna say "microbes". :)pimp:)

Could be grease from pump, flux from within rad, just general crap, lots of possibilities. Let's see some pics!!!!

8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you flush everything out before putting it together? Brown water could just mean there is some copper oxidation/particles in it. It almost seems too soon for any bacteria growth, especially noticeable.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
    cadaveca says thanks.
  9. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Dont mention bleach dude , that's the worst thing to put in a loop I can attest :(.

On a similar vane doesn't UV light kill bacteria and algea too, anyone know how effective that is as
    Since my bleach balls up ive gone with a silver nub thing valvoline coolant mix and anti corro fluid in de ionised water and ive not seen any further growths .

More than 25k PPD
  10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Too true. Glycol would be my fluid of choice. I don't care about the few degrees other possible alternatives may garner.

To a degree, I have a UV thingie in my fish tank filter system to kill algae.. I think.. alas, I know almost NOTHING about fish.

xvi says thanks.
  11. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been running nothing but distilled water for years. When I change it every six months or so, it's still clear. Drinkable.. maybe? Probably not lol, but I've tried it. Anyways, it is best not to have any "exposed" part of your loop in sunlight. That cursed sun can make things grow.

cadaveca says thanks.
  12. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    My father in law will drink water that hasn't been changed in over a year out of a fish tank...if fish can live in it, then it's good, no? :p

I think part of your success is that you tend to use pretty damn decent tubing. Many tubes will leak plasticizer into the loop over time, but your earlier comment about it kind of being a bit soon for major growth seems to ring true to me.

13. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    I favour glcol, I had it originally in the kit that came with my kandalf back when I had one block on a cpu and it cooled well imho and was carefree maintenance wise , I used one fill for a year without issue but alas I cant get it over the counter in the uk AFAIK so I've ended up going distilled as its available everywhere and I dont pm more reactive maintenance lol.

Ima smash this pone in

More than 25k PPD
  14. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: Smartphone moment?

theoneandonlymrk says thanks.
  15. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    Not to thread-hijack, but more thread-expand, when I asked my father (auto mechanic) about an inexpensive way to prevent bacteria without eating up seals and hoses or causing corrosion, he too mentioned glycol. Is this the generally accepted inexpensive option? I know about kill coils, but are there other "don't want to dish out money for bottles of fluid" options?

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Your best off waying up your ideal maintenance and use profile and picking something to suit im all for chem bottles now as I rebuild a lot so the fact they really last a while suits me plus waters cheap and easy to get some are better off with an Aio, and glcol is a really good alternative but at 100% glycol its still a couple of bottles to buy you dont mix glycol.

More than 25k PPD
  17. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Same thing from me I would swap the loop over to glycol and not worry about it again. Nothing grows in glycol it's pretty good about that. Not to mention the pump is rated for a mix of glycol according to all manufacturer specs. :laugh:

18. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    It's used in swimming pools as a bactericide. Very good at killing organics. I work in a leisure facility and have a pool plant operators qualification - UV good. That being said - dont know if a UV cathode is as powerful as the set up in a pool...

Ironically, UV good for killing bacteria but general sunlight can help things grow. As erocker says, everything i've read about loops, keep them as pure as possible (less additives the better) and keep out of sunlight. I'm like erocker - i only use de-ionised and no gunk in my tubing.

But if in doubt - flush it out.

19. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I would try a hot flush off everything in the loop. Get some distilled water heated up and set up some way to have it pumped through all your blocks and radiators. Then put your loop together again, and refill with some fresh distilled or glycol based coolant if you want to switch over to that.

20. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    I find two pieces of regular pipe 3 mtrs a piece helps with flushing as I can flush the pc or bits of it in situ, well still in the case with a hot and cold tap.

More than 25k PPD
  21. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    Use chlorine?

22. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't....

Chlorine is quite reactive.

23. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
  24. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that is what I meant :eek:

Pictures below
    No--the instruction manual didn't say to, and it never occured to me...

It did seem awfully soon for much in the way of growth...
    Well, it is exposed to the sun a little bit--there's a window in my dorm room, but it's behind the monitor and several other computers, so not much in the way of direct sunlight gets to the loop....
    I'm considering adding a second rad, switching a few of the fittings, and replacing the tubing with some blue stuff, so I'll think of that as well....

:eek:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is with the flash on the camera, so it is a bit exaggerated, but not immensely so

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Reading this thread made me do a quick check on my newish wc setup. I'm currently running just distilled water and my hose are still clear, about one month in. I did a very thorough cleanup of all the pieces and flushed the rad for about half an hour before I set my system up.