1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WC Loop Issues?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by [Ion], Apr 15, 2013.

1. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Yep, Ive been running a straight distilled loop and I didn't do any flushing when I put it together and the water is still crystal clear.

2. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    I have couple year old dexcool/distilled running in my loop...no color change and no bacteria.

3. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Well, I intend to re-do my loop probably next weekend. I have some new blue tubing to do it in, and I'm thinking of getting a second radiator...decisions, decisions.

Would a single-thick radiator be the best choice, or should I spring for a double-thick one?

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Looks like a bad batch of tubing to me, leaching plasticizers as mentioned. I'd contact FrozenCPU and see if any other people have similar issues.

I never had a problem using a few drops of bleach in my loops, mixed with some distilled & glycol...

The more RAD you have, the better! Go with whatever fits your build easier :)

5. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    So it turns out that the loop was full of algea (or something--the tubing is a nasty greenish/brown and there were flakes of stuff that came out with the water). I'm going to toss the tubing and buy more :)shadedshu)--but what else do I need to do to avoid the growth coming back?

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    I flush my RADs/blocks with CLR and destilled... Coolant is a mix of destilled/glycol/bleach, never any growths :ohwell:

You could try boiling the water before using it for mix...

7. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I boiled the waterblock and fittings, ran boiling water through the rads and reservoir/pump, tossed the tubing, and then re-did the loop with new distilled water and poison. I'm keeping my fingers crossed ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    clr is ACID It will wreak the tubing seals and pretty much everything plastic or rubber
    don't belive me ?
    take a 25/75 mix of clr and water and put something Vlasic in it for about 15m

9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Then it's a good thing he's only flushing his radiator and block (which can be all metal) with it. I use vinegar/water, which is also an acid. I just replace the tubing once a year and I only run distilled.

10. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    heh
    ever seen what clr does to copper or nickle ? also if its a two piece water-block it will eat the rubber seals out and then the cpu and VRM's get a bath
    clr is a acid of a totally different league then white vinega
    clr ingredients include water, lactic acid, gluconic acid, lauramine oxide, and Propylene Glycol n-Butyl Ether

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  11. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    I don't need to "believe" you, i have first hand experience.

Someone has reading comprehension skills! Here, have a cookie! :rolleyes: :p

[​IMG]

From my experience CLR does the best job of cleaning my RADs and water blocks. I use it straight, no dilution. Fill the RAD up and let it sit, then flush the shit out of it with hot water. Break the block/s down and toss 'em into a margine container with enough fluid to keep them immersed for an hour or two. O-ring sits on the desk. Blocks are made of delrin/copper. Still using the same shite for the last 10 years :laugh:

How do you clean impingement style blocks?

CLR also works wonders on my ShowerHead sprayer! Pull the head from the hose, submerge it in a container with straight CLR for a couple hours. Good. As. New! Oh, it's plastic BTW.

Save your FUD for [H] :slap:

12. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Also... CLR comes in a plastic container. I just bought some for my shower head and bathroom faucet. This thread reminded me to do that when I was at the store today. Thanks guys! :toast:

OneMoar, I've been using CLR for years. I use it sometimes in plugged heater cores if the customer is too cheap/broke to buy a new one. So I've seen what it can do to copper.. Makes it clean! Acid is a tool if you use it correctly.

m1dg3t says thanks.
  13. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    I Guss I won't ever take my car to you for repair .... if it doesn't clean out with compressed air/water then its junk anyway no I don't care if there to cheap to fix it either fix it right or don't fix it at all Getto-rigging gets people and property Hurt if the core is plugged bad enough where water and air won't flush it then odds are if you put some kind of solvent in there it will eat though the already weakened tube and leak all over

ofc acid is a tool but please use the right tool for the right job
    even at a 25:1 mix there enough acidity in there todo some serious damage if its run for more then a few Minutes and the `damage` is cumulative
    it will *eventually eat the seals on the pump and the water block and eventually render the whole shebang junk
    do what you will its your Rig but I don't wanna read some haf-cocked rant about how "water cooling vendor X" is responsible for your own stupidity

14. erocker

Thanks Received:
    You obviously have zero experience. Please stop posting things you have no business talking about. Honestly though, you're known to me and many others as nothing but a troll, all I hear is trollspeak. Don't want to read? Good, go out and get some experience. Nobody said they're using this stuff in conjunction with any tubing or seals. Yes, I've seen what it does to copper. :rolleyes:

Norton and brandonwh64 say thanks.
  15. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    I. Only. Tell. You. One moar Time!!!!!1!

You obviously have zero experience. Please stop posting things you have no business talking about. Honestly though, you're known to me and many others as nothing but a troll, all I hear is trollspeak. Don't want to read? Good, go out and get some experience.

16. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    lets make a few assumptions since that seems to be the theme of the evening
    1. lets assume you can judge a persons experience based on the comments made in a thread
    2. lets also assume that I am not trolling and I am trying to prevent someone from turning there expensive water cooled pc into a mixture of dissolved plastic and fried chips with no dip as a Result of shoddy Advice by people that supposedly should know better

##assumption 1: I say that it is YOU have no right being any-ware near a Automobile or a Computer with your Mechanic-in-a-bottle mentality

##assumption 2: you can dump whatever you please in your own property just don't go recommending people do it to theirs specifically when the people you are making the recommendation to are likely to screw something up or worse do more harm then good

sure you could dump a 25:1 mix of clr or toilet-bowl cleaner in your loop or Radiator and sure it will flush the gunk out of the system and MABY It won't kill anything should you do this when there are plenty of safer Options that are just as effective ? NOooOoPE.
    and if you wan't some stories of personal experience here is one for you

back in 2008 My mom had a old 91 Chevy pickup that the heater core was plugged right Solid full of shit dead of winter so she needed heat pulled the lines off flushed it with 30 PSI of Tap water Not much happened so I went and got a bottle of distilled water and mixed it with some clr cleaned it out flushed it with the garden hose for a good Minute.
    all was good had heat buttoned everything back up she drove it for two weeks after witch the heater core started pissing every-ware as I discovered there was about 30 pinhole's that had developed in it from where the tubes had been compromised sure if it was bad enough to fail from that slight exposure to the acid it was junk anyway, but running Chemicals though it didn't help it at all
    and the next time I will go to flush a rad ill go and get some Prestone two part flush "solvent and neutralizer"

17. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I have 20 years of experience. You? You seem to be focused on my heater core comment. As I mentioned, I do this for folks who don't want to spend the money on a new one. Sometimes, yes the core is too damaged and it doesn't work. Sometimes it does. I'm so glad you shared your single experience with me. Good for you. Regardless, I don't think ION is going about it this way. I'll wait for him to chime in with an update on what he is doing. It's his thread, let's not muck it up anymore.

Fact #1: You should have no right posting anything on the internet. Your attitude sucks, and your knowledge seems to be based on searching google or whatever your search engine of choice is. It is very transparent and it seems most people see this as well. I still remember your signature as a self-proclaimed troll. You should of kept it, but I guess several bannings from several websites made you change it. Smart.

brandonwh64 says thanks.
  18. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Its not assumptions when its very clear to us in a multitude of your other posts that you have no idea what your saying.

And yes you have one personal experience. Congrats.

Erockers experiences is his whole life.

brandonwh64 says thanks.
  19. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    I have similar experience (automotive) as well as related experience, in this discussion, in water treatment... CLR will do exactly as erocker states and there will be no damage caused by this "consumer grade" product. If there is damage, it was already there to begin with and the cleaning did its job- cleared the corrosion.

Simple tip:
    Mineral deposits/scale are cleared with acid solutions

Organic deposits are cleared with base solutions

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  20. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh gees, now we have a chemistry major in here...:roll: :p Just kidding of course.

Also didn't the OP already clean and rebuild his loop as seen in images in another thread? Let me see if I can find the image.

yup, here it is, all redone already! http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2897544&postcount=1791

Norton says thanks.
  21. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    Now That is amusing because by my count most of the people don't seem to have a Problem with me or the way I post and the people that do have a problem with "me" are the ones that are Just BUTTHURT that I 'Dare to question them'
    and yes I get banned a ... lot I don't care if I DID care I would make some kind of effort to adjust the way I post
    you seem to think I google for Answers don't I recall a thread where we where discussing something about a power on connector not working unless it was orientated a certain way ?
    clearly I googled that had nothing todo with the fact that I do know what I am talking about ... sometimes

reality check: a lifetime of experience doesn't equate actually knowing what you are talking about that right there is what gets you into trouble the second you start supplanting hard science with "experience" is the Second shit Flys full force into the nearest fan

C.L.R is a ACID ACID's Dissolve stuff PERIOD I never questioned if it would clean the loop
    I Said it Wasn't a good idea CONSIDERING that crap in the Ops loop was Organic why reach for the Mighty EXCALIBUR when a Butter-knife will do the Job. Sure you could dump battery acid cut with distilled water in there and so long as the mix was right it `Probably wouldn't` cause catastrophic failure but it sure as hell isn't "Good for it "

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  22. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you were asked to move along already, looking for more attention for another vacation?

brandonwh64, cdawall and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.