1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WC Maintenance Question

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Kantastic, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Hey water cooling experts, I wanted to ask a quick question about T's and reservoirs. From what I know, the purpose of a T-line is only to bleed air out of the loop, right? And a reservoir does the same thing... but with the added benefit of being able to refill the loop... right?

So, if I get a reservoir (oh, does someone have one they'd recommend?) and put a piece of silver coil in it, does that mean that aside from occasionally pouring some distilled water into the res, I basically never have to maintain the loop?
  2. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    a t-line is for those with space constraints imho and is for filling and bleeding the line. the benifit of a t-line is that it has little resistance as it is inline with the loop itself and it takes up little space as you can just zip tie the extra hose in an upright position.

a resevoir is supposedly supposted to allow air to be bleeded a bit quicker than the t-line however both guides your ever going to use state to leave the loop running overnight for any air to either bleed into the t-line or upper space in the rez. It is also said that a resevoir ads a bit to the resisantace of the flow int he pump because of the open sapace and usually 180degree turn the water has to make

edit:
    silver coils-i hardly ever see this in practice and all though it does apparently work, i have a complex when it comes to adding foreign objects to my loop, while this may help the water i feel it may not help the pump, block or rez, so i don't use anything to save me from relying on it as an excuse to not keep my pc in tip top working order. water cooling seems to me to be a hobby with a cumulative upkeep, it looks great, and works great but requires regular maintenence mostly in the form of visual inspections to make sure everything is working fine. I swap out water every 6 months atm and when it comes out, it's clear and clean just like the day i put it in. I use distilled water with a bit of biocide(very little bit), and do your self a favor and stay the hell away from dyes, the make a mess of your pic

i personally use a resevoir as i found that it requires a bit less work to use, however finding the right res will determine how much excess work it is to setup in your loop. I have a swiftec microres that worked great mounted toward the rear of my antec 1200 but there is nowhere to pu it in my corsair obsidion 800d so i am switching to an xspc 5.25 bay res that is easier and better looking. if i were to suggest one this is prolly my new favorite and i hear eincredible thigns about it, and it looks insane in almost any case with 5.25 bays. xspc single 5.25 bay res
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
    Kantastic says thanks.
  3. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for a long reply exodus, it was a good read. I know that as with every water cooling setup, maintenance is inevitable, every 6 months doesn't sound so bad. I'll be sure to stay away from dyes, I've always felt dyes give the overall aesthetics a cheap look.

As for the T and res, I'll have to look around and see what people have done with the Storm Sniper. I'm probably going to end up getting a MicroRes like you since they're the cheapest option.

I believe Binge uses the silver method, who knows I might get some PT Nuke from Petra's and use a few drops of that instead.
  4. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    yeah any biocide or pt nuke treatments are ok, just remember that with everything that gets added above waters reletive specific weight which is 1 ml/ per cm cubed, the liquid flows less, that includes coils... Personally i've had great success with my water cooling as it allowed me to hit the 4Ghz oc i was looking for on my phenom 2 and stay about 33-38idle and 48-51 load with 1.50v and i'm only using a 2x120 rad which is getting replaced soon by a more effective 3x120 rad.

if you like though i'll be the guinea pig and throw some silver in the loop, i believe i got a coal around here somewhere i just havn't ever wanted to use it.

edit"
    also btw remember that when you add different types of metal to your loop you increase the level of galvanic corosion in the loop which means you'll also need an anti corosive in the water which is yet another additive above just distilled. my block is copper, rad is brass fitings are brass and thats all the metel i have and since they are similar, there is no corosion issues, keep his in mind as he silver is going to increase the level of corosion in the loop.

sorry for all the typos, i went to bed wicked early last night(too much wine) and woke up wicked early today a bit groggy with a headache.
    Kantastic says thanks.
  5. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I never knew there was so much to water cooling... I'd appreciate it if you could try the silver for me but to determine whether or not that works would take a good few months since bacteria doesn't build up overnight. :laugh:

I think I'll save myself some money and just get the PT Nuke. I can't tell the difference between these two products though:

http://www.petrastechshop.com/pepcobi1.html
    http://www.petrastechshop.com/peptpcobi1.html

I have no idea what I need to do about the corrosion issue, but I'll leave that for another time.