1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WCG Badges are back

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by W1zzard, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I don't have any work to do to get a badge. As said before, jobs are shit here. I couldn't even get hired at a grocery store, even though I put down "any" for time available to work, and "any" for job position applying for (they were hiring, just not sure what for).

Phxprovost says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    yup i remember that. i still run today 24/7 on my remaining GX2 93C consistent I will run my only card ONLY (primary rig) card until it melts for this team. But its a real shame to put all this effort to begin with into badges only to have the top producers that get pie everyday come to a vote to raise the limit because its "too easy for our farms" leaving the people that just cant keep up in the dust. with the "what is a badge to anyone anyway?" attitude. My badge is a symbol. It means I fold for this team It means I contribute to the development for cures to cruel and horrifying diseases. But I cant even wear that in pride now. Its not like I was in it for the points. I dont even know how many I have in FAH or WCG All I know is I have a badge. and when i scroll down a page I feel good seeing mine. Like im making the world better. and Im proud of the others I see that wear them. Of course anyone could play this off as "isnt folding good enough badge or not?" ya it is. But I dont check scores. I honestly dont even know how to get to my stat page for WCG let alone care how. I just like a simple visual reminder for ME if anyone that says good job Sol keep it up.

Phxprovost says thanks.
  3. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I only brought up the money because people were mentioning 'big dogs/big guys' as if hardware magically fell out the sky or there was some store handing out free i7s. The majority of people with high end computers worked for them and started out at the bottom too.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    And that's perfectly fine, but I am currently still at the bottom, and I still crunch and fold just as hard as anyone else.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    no one ever said they didn't, nor did anyone try to undermine what they are doing, it just seems that some would set an impossible standard for people, and then try to claim that wcg is a group effort but only acknowledge those with the largest farms on the forums

(FIH) The Don and Solaris17 say thanks.
  6. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i never said anything about free hardware or the fact that any of the top producers DIDNT work for their points. Im saying that even at 47+ hours a week I cannot afford to buy new tires let alone an upgrade or a dedicated machine. I bust my ass doing rudementery tasks a child could figure out for barely enough to pay my electric bill because their is nothing in the middle of the forest that I live in. What Im getting at is if im not putting in the "work" for my badge at that point. then either you have a REALLY scewed deffinition of "work" or I will give my apologies for this warm debate and say that your point is in all honestly totally going over my head because I fail to see how im not "working" to "deserve" my badge.

Phxprovost and (FIH) The Don say thanks.
  7. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like you are putting up the effort but the results may* not be good enough (*depending on where the cutoff is eventually set) to get a badge. It doesn't take away from what you are doing though.

The only example I can think of right now is the Olympics, we can all try our hardest and give our 100% but in the end some people are getting sent home without medals.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    :wtf: except the Olympics is a competition between people and wcg is a group effort to improve the lives of humans world wide, so in your mind the badge is a prize correct?

-edit- just want to verify this is in no way personal and im not coming after you in this post

i think it should be more like little league, everyone that participated should get recognition...

Solaris17 says thanks.
  9. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I knew typing that post that the Olympics was not the best example, but as I said it was all I could think of. That being said though, it would be a little naive to think there is no competition involved in WCG (WCG.com Team Challenges, TPU! WCG Contests, etc). Points, rankings, badges and whatnot on WCG.com would seem to hint at an inherent competitiveness to the whole get up (albeit not as cutthroat as one would imagine).

As far as little league, I think that is exactly what it should not be like. Go figure.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I thought every rig that crunched counted. The "big boys" already have their distinct badges, with "Crazy Folder" and such (at least for F@H, and coming soon for WCG it would seem). What about all the others who crunch and fold for the team but don't make your set requirements? Why take their badge away from them when the big boys already have their distinction?

AlienIsGOD, [Ion] and Phxprovost say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Well they can think of the badge as their carrot and continue to work to get it. Im sure they would receive support from the other team members, and when they crack that milestone they will receive their badge and our admiration for their dedication.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I honestly don't see people throwing massive amounts of money into upgrading computer hardware to gain a badge. Look at Solaris, he said he's having a hard enough time as it is just trying to take care of himself, nevermind having spare money to throw into upgrading rigs. He's a valued member of the team and the forum, but he just doesn't have the resources to pour into WCG/FAH. Why would you want to take his badge away when the big boys already have the distinction you're looking for?

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I don't see massive amounts of money being needed to get a badge. I mentioned before that maybe 35k would be better for everyone who was shell shocked when I suggested 50k.

Second, there is no distinction for different producing WCG members. Its been talked about since badges were suggested and never happened. Plus its been mentioned in this thread about 6 times and hasn't been responded too. So who knows whats up with that.

I'm hooked on WCG and F@H as much as the next guy- I could get away with that I need a computer for with my Lenovo, but I cant quit. Im not crazy though. If you have problems with day to day living- keeping the lights on, food on the table, rent paid, clothes on your back, or keeping non bald tires on your car, then WCG/F@H and badges are the least of your concerns. Bravo that you still want to help, but dedication was two stops back, get your priorities right.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Uhh, I feel bad for making this post since my badge isn't there either but I'm not posting because of this - I will still continue to crunch for the team, badge or no badge. It's sad people are thinking of leaving, but they are right to a certain extent because they had something which they were proud of and it was taken from them and removing the incentive.

My opinion would be that the badge is restored to all regular crunchers like it was before - the amount is not important - what's important is that they contribute regularly.

I agree that the badge should be taken from members who earned it long time ago and have since forgotten about crunching even though they have the hardware to do so.

15. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    The only thing is determining what constitutes regularly is turning into a pickle :ohwell:

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    You're missing the point. Solaris contributes to the team, and he gets a badge. He works hard, but can't afford to throw money at rigs for DC projects, yet you want to raise the bar and take the badge away because it's too easy to earn. The badges already show dedication enough in that someone folded long enough to meet the base points requirement and continues to return results. It would be nice if everyone folded 35k in 28 days, but not everyone has that kind of power. All your plan does is take badges away from people who are already dedicated to the team.

Solaris17, [Ion] and Phxprovost say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I dunno, perhaps sorting by the 'average' column? :ohwell:

Precisely why I think people like Solaris shouldn't have their badge removed. On the other hand, people like... uhhh who don't crunch anymore or only do so for a short while to be eligible for some competition and then quit again :rolleyes: don't really deserve the badge....

Solaris17 says thanks.
  18. KieX

Thanks Received:
    He's not missing the point I don't think. A few pages back the initial requirement was 100K in 28 days as a requirement (which he pointed out needed to be brought down). The 50K is based on a dual-core full-time and was a way to have that rule try to accommodate the most people possible. 35k.. all these numbers are just a way to bring that requirement down.

Having said that though, there needs to be some distinction between those who are crunching and those who get a badge and leave. Like I've mentioned in this thread I think it was a active in the last 7 days requirement before (rather than a number).

So I totally agree with BP that:

theonedub says thanks.
  19. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    The way they do badges for FAH @ OCN is a 50k requirement + at least 1pt in the last month. I would like higher requirements than this here. I think that a 100k requirement is good, and then a requirement of 15k a month (500 PPD). The maximum I think is acceptable would be 30k a month (1k PPD), but I'd honestly much rather see it at 500 PPD.

While I could easily manage the 30k a month, there are many here that are dedicated crunchers that simply couldn't.

Radical_Edward says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Im at a loss here..... dedication IMO is running ur rig daily and/or 24/7 contributing regularly. As stated some pplz rigs are not top of the line, but should we not acknowledge all our members and be able to have the general badge for them? As mentioned have a badge for over 500k or 1mill or w/e. But I dont not think we should overlook the impact that EVERY SINGLE one of our regulars are dedicated, regardless of PPD.

KieX and Phxprovost say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I just think the limit should be easily obtainable based on today's standard. Yet not so low where a guy with a laptop can crunch 3 hours a day and make it.

KieX and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
  22. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I think that's reasonable, a modern AMD or Intel dual-core should have no issue making it, or a couple older rigs.

I'm glad that we have something figured out :toast:

Chicken Patty says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Let's see what w1z says.

24. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Excellent :)

Didn't he said that he'd set up any requirements, we just had to decide on them?

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    Hey! I'm on that list! WooHoo! :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU