1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WCG Game Giveaway for the "TPU's 10th Birthday Challenge"

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by manofthem, May 15, 2014.

1. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    It's a beautiful thing that TechPowerUp! has been around for a decade! In honor of that, the TPU’s WCG team has initiated a WCG Challenge, and all are welcome to join! Not only are we helping Science and fellow man, we are also giving out awesome prizes to the participants. As the Challenge started last night, we are opening up an epic Game Giveaway! Come and join our team, help out, enjoy the awesome members of the team, and enter for some amazing prizes! For those not yet crunching/folding along, feel free to check out the links below and jump in.

WCG Team Thread
    Official Challenge Thread

[​IMG][​IMG]

Alpha Prime
    @Ahhzz Sent
    :toast:

ARMA 2: Combined Operations

@yotano211 pm'd

Awesomenauts

@Arjai Sent

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

@agent00skid pm'd

Crysis 2

@yotano211 Sent

Daylight

@TRWOV Sent

Dead Space

@Norton Sent

LA Noire
    @night.fox Sent

Max Payne 3

@Norton Sent

Payday 2

@night.fox pm'd
    @FordGT90Concept pm'd

:toast: :toast:

Sanctum 2

@mauriek Sent

Shadow Warrior

@FordGT90Concept pm'd

Splinter Cell: Blacklist

@Irony pm'd

UFO: Afterlight

@mauriek Sent

The Walking Dead

@NastyHabits pm'd

Wanderlust

@Arjai Sent

Dark Souls 2

@mauriek pm'd
    :D :toast: :D

Wolfenstein: The New Order

@MxPhenom 216 pm'd
    :D :toast: :D

Obviously, a HUGE THANKS to all our contributors to this giveaway! :respect: :respect:
    All games are Steam

Aliens: Colonial Marines
    Alpha Prime - @james888
    ARMA 2: Combined Operations - @Bow
    Awesomenauts - @james888
    Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - @Vinska
    Crysis 2
    Daylight
    Dead Space
    Empire Total War - @james888
    Fez - Irony
    Fish Fillets - @james888
    Killing Floor - @Vinska
    LA Noire
    Max Payne 3
    Natural Selection 2 - @Vinska
    Orcs Must Die GOTY - @Irony
    Payday 2 (x2) - @Vinska
    Sanctum 2 - @james888
    Shadow Warrior - @Vinska
    Splinter Cell Blacklist - @adulaamin
    Take on Helicopters - @james888
    UFO: Afterlight - @james888
    The Walking Dead - @Arjai
    Wanderlust - @james888

Dark Souls 2
    Wolfenstein: The New Order - @Vinska

Requirements: To qualify, you must be an active WCG team member having returned 1,000 points by the last day of the giveaway. Also, as we did last time, please include the following in your post:

”I’m a TPU cruncher, and I will be crunching on XX cores/XX threads during this Challenge.”
    or
    "I’m an active TPU folder, and I will be folding during this Challenge"

(Obviously replace the XX’s with your particular numbers of cores/threads)

The Deal: You may enter for up to 3 of the main games, and then please enter for one of the Grand Prizes. If you wish to opt out of the Grand Prizes, please say so, and if you wish to only enter for one of the Grand Prizes, please say so also.

How To Enter: Along with your game entries, answer the question: What first got you interested in TPU and made you join?

Closing Time: Closing time will be announced shortly, but the giveaway will run for at least 5 days.

Random Drawing: Drawings will be done randomly, as outlined in the following spoiler below
    To ensure everyone gets a fair shake and to minimize any potential conflict of interest while maintaining the highest level of transparency- I have drafted a new way to draw winners. The system uses (3) members and works as follows:
    The system makes sure that there is no bias or other favoritism at play when winners are drawn. Winners are drawn based on a random number instead of usernames- where a possibility exists to redraw if that person doesn’t like who won, draw a friend, draw themselves, pass on new members, or skip doing a random drawing all together.

My hope is that this will alleviate any concerns about drawings and their legitimacy. If it works smoothly, I would like to see this become the new standard when conducting giveaways that have prizes donated by the community.

If there are any questions about this system, drop me a PM.

On behalf of TPU's WCG team, thank you to all those who are participating in the Challenge this time around. We have seen many new members join up in the last few days, and that's very exciting! We hope that you new members stick around; many of us initially joined during a Challenge so we know the feeling ;)

Let's get the Giveaway rolling and get some games into the hands of awesome team members! :roll: :roll:
    I'll be editing this post as I go. Please bring out anything that needs attention/fixing. ;)
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
    RCoon, FordGT90Concept, Irony and 12 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  2. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    “I’m a TPU cruncher, and I will be crunching on 14 cores/20 threads during this Challenge.”

I first got into TPU back in the end of 2010. At that time, the 69xx series AMD GPUs had just released, and the W1zz posted the article about flashing a 6970 bios to a 6950 which had my attention. It was during the time when I was upgrading my rig from an old Phenom setup to a newer AMD Phenom II 1090t, and the GPU was obviously the 6950.

Needless to say, after purchasing a few things, I joined TPU for help. :laugh: That was January 2011, and it’s been a great time so far!

:lovetpu: :lovetpu:
    night.fox and 15th Warlock say thanks.
  3. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    I’m a TPU cruncher, and I will be crunching on 36 cores/52 threads during this Challenge

I first got interested in TPU while recovering from wrist surgery in 2009... was a lurker for a few years before I decided to join but I'm glad that I eventually did so :) :lovetpu:

Please add me in for:
    - Dead Space
    - Max Payne 3

*I'll pass on the grand prizes to give others a better shot at them ;)

Great job on the thread @manofthem and keep em' crunching Team! :toast:
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
    15th Warlock and manofthem say thanks.
  4. mx500torid

mx500torid

Thanks Received:
    Yep Im a Folder 2- 7950 Boost, 2- GTX 680, GTX 770, GTX 660 ti, GTX 570, and a 5770 during this challenge and beyond.
    Yep Im a Cruncher 29 cores and 35 threads during this challenge and beyond. [​IMG]

In for Dark Souls 2

The reason I Fold and Crunch is in my signature, my Mom beat cancer and I had a friend that died from cancer.
    Last edited: May 19, 2014
  5. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    I’m a TPU cruncher, and I will be crunching on 22 cores/44 threads during this Challenge.

I first joined TPU in 2004 after W1zzard asked us to move from the old OCFAQ forums to this brand new site curiously called "Techpowerup!" I can't believe it's been 10 years since then!

I was a newbie and W1zzard had just created this awesome program called Atitool, I remember asking in the forums if I could unlock my Sapphire 9200SE from 64bit to 128bit, people at the forum nicely and patiently informed me such thing could not be done :oops:

I'm so happy to be part of such awesome tech community, a lot has happened in my personal and hardware life since, but people here always remain helpful and friendly :toast:

Good times! :rockout:

Happy birthday TPU!
    Arjai, manofthem and Norton say thanks.
  6. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Awesome, you're an original :laugh: Too bad I was young and dumb in 2004 when this all began. :oops:
    I do agree that this is a great site with great people and great info. A few years ago when i was getting back into the pc-tech world and looking around at different forums and tech sites, I quickly came to the conclusion that this is the place to be. :D

And guys, don't forget to throw in some game entries :p :laugh:
    15th Warlock says thanks.
  7. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I’m a TPU cruncher, and I will be crunching on 4 cores/4 threads during this Challenge.

I have known about TPU since I was 14, so about 7 years ago. I used to go to OCN, but left it and joined TPU and glad I did. Met some great people, and many of which have helped me get the main rig I have today to where it is now.

Only really interested in the Wolfenstein: The New Order giveaway.

Keep on crunchin'

:lovetpu:
  8. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    So was I! LOL (see 9200SE reference above :p)

Agreed a 100% :toast:

And for games, I'm in for Wolfenstein also :rockout:
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    manofthem says thanks.
  9. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    it shall me mine, and i shall troll you with screenshots :roll::fear:
    Irony, manofthem and 15th Warlock say thanks.
  10. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    I am a TPU Cruncher, 2C/4T's, for now. I would enter for the Giveaway but, not sure any of them will work on this HD4000 laptop. Like the game I supplied, most won't work on this thing Ultrabook. Any advice as to what will work, and save me a lot of time I don't have, will be greatly appreciated.

:respect:

Already have FEZ. BTW, so no need to recommend that one. ;)

Wanderlust and Awesomenauts, look playable... Daylight is also playable...So, I am in for those three.

I was a lurker for a while, until I found the Socket A club. Then I joined up, soon thereafter, @ThE_MaD_ShOt and @Norton got me into Crunching. I also found a bunch of help about my Socket A, the P4 I inherited and the Awesome machine this team put together for me. I also learned a bunch about Linux, P4 is on Mint, Mad Cruncher runs Ubuntu. Thanks a bunch TPU, for being as Awesome as it is!!:clap:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Doc41

Doc41

Thanks Received:
    “I’m a TPU cruncher, and I will be crunching on 8 cores/ 8 threads during this Challenge.”

wow been that long, i actually forgot why i joined, but i remember that i was lurking about a few other sites too before i got into high school and have joined to ask noob questions :p
    then later on in 2011 i "re-found" my account in here and found this site has an attractive "feature" that others don't have, and thanks to all the good folks in here i became an active member of this awesome family :toast::lovetpu:

as for the games i'll be in for the grand ones only "eyes out MxPhenom :rolleyes:"
    manofthem, BUCK NASTY and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    No gaming rig?
  13. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Just this Laptop. I wasn't really into Computer Gaming, until recently. I PS2'ed and PS3'ed up until it all went into storage, Loooong story.

Leisure Suit Larry was the first, Doom was next, then nothing for a long time. Now? My desktop tells the Story.

manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Not entering for prizes this time as I want others to enjoy.

I’m a TPU cruncher, and I will be crunching on 26 cores/30 threads during this Challenge.

What got me into tpu, well As some of you know, I have been into computers for a very long time and have always favored AMD. And with that my original home was PC Perspective originally Amdmb.com. Well my home is all but deserted these days. I was looking around the interwebs for a new home with lots of life but with the closeness that I had there. I am not going to mention some of the other sites I have joined but they did not feel like home. I came across TPU. I lurked for a few days then joined. In no time I met some great people and have become friends with some of you. This place form more homey then Pc per ever did. You guys are great and Here's to another 10 years :toast: . Also a big thank you goes out to Wiz for making the best site in the world. Also Another big thanks goes out to me buddy manofthem for hosting yet another epic giveaway. :toast:
    T-Bob, Arjai, manofthem and 1 other person say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    ”I’m a TPU cruncher, and I will be crunching on 6 cores/10 threads during this Challenge.”

I started crunching when I upgraded my gaming PC and the left over parts I made into a HTPC and why let it set idle :)

I am in for "The Walking Dead" and out of the grand prizes! Thank you all for making the crunching community so lively!
    Arjai, manofthem and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Bow

Bow

Thanks Received:
    ”I’m a TPU cruncher, and I will be crunching on 12 cores and something treads
    I started Crunching because this is where all the cool people hang out.:rockout:

No games for me this time, I need that key board and/or HDD. ;)
    manofthem and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Payday 2
    Shadow Warrior
    UFO: Afterlight
    Wolfenstein: The New Order

”I’m a TPU cruncher, and I will be crunching on 10 cores/18 threads during this Challenge.”

Short answer: politics.

Long answer:
    1) Hardware Analysis was falling apart because the administrator promoted video game piracy and lots of moderators jumped ship. Leaving was trendy (eid_airman, CrashNBurnXP) so I did.
    2) 2008 US presidential elections in the General Nonsense thread of TPU:
    [​IMG]
    Irony, james888, Norton and 3 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    "I’m an active TPU folder, and I will be folding during this Challenge"

I joined several years ago, if I recall, because I had questions about overclocking my old Opteron.. but I'm getting old, and the memory has failed :) Stuck around, I know, because of so many threads and people. The generosity of Solaris with his DVD toolkit, the dry humor of eRocker, the mostly even keeled moderating... It's been a fun place to hang out and talk about almost everything.

plus, I love the onedub method for random on this one :roll:

I'd like to throw my name in for Alpha Prime, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Arma 2, and Dark Souls 2.

cheers :toast:, and thanks to EVERYONE that donated time, games, hardware, and effort for this challenge!!!:clap::clap::lovetpu:
    Norton and manofthem say thanks.
  19. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I’m a TPU cruncher, and I will be crunching on 54 cores/62 threads during this Challenge.

I joined to ask about RBE when modding my 3850 bios.

I'd like to enter for Daylight only.
    Arjai, Norton and manofthem say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    im a tpu cruncher and i will be crunching 6 cores / 8 threads during this challenge. (not sure sure if cores and threads are right but its 3770k+dual core laptop :D)

I cannot remember why I joined TPU but I found TPU a very good community.

Id like to enter for Sanctum, La noire, and Payday 2.

Grand prize, wolfeinstein, new order :clap::lovetpu::peace::clap:

Thanks for all the donors, thanks to manofthem for making this to happen.
    15th Warlock, Ahhzz, Norton and 3 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I may have lied with my answer. Actually I was promised a late night 4some with Norton, T, and manofthem. Never happened. But there's hope. :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry if I defected unknowingly, but I'm in for whenever! ;)
    ThE_MaD_ShOt says thanks.
  23. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Now that's what I'm talking about, LOL. Pm me and lets see what we can do about this unfortunate mix up.
    manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    :roll::roll:
    :nutkick:

there ya go. "whatever"
    manofthem says thanks.
  25. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Guys, we need more attention to this giveaway. Lots of games for the taking :roll:

We are tentatively planning on ending Monday night, so keep that in mind fellers :p
    T-Bob, night.fox, Norton and 1 other person say thanks.