1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WCG news update

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Black Panther, Mar 9, 2010.

1. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Surplus PC Power Yields Faster Cancer Research

Category: Help Conquer Cancer
    Tags: Publications and Presentations

Summary
    World Community Grid project automates tedious process to determine if protein samples are ready for x-ray examination.

Using World Community Grid, the Help Conquer Cancer project scientists have devised a way to automate and accelerate a manual, complex process that enables researchers to more easily discover the structure of cancer-related proteins, and, eventually, formulate cancer cures. This new, automated approach may also help the exploration of other diseases and food-related research.

To read more about this exciting announcement, please click here
    [Ion] and Chicken Patty say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Don't know if anyone else saw this new Project- Unfortunately there are bandwidth requirements for this project that I do not meet. I know this isn't as important a cause to everyone as the other Projects, but its still important in its own right.

28 Jun 2010

Launch of The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2

Category: The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2
    Tags: Project Update

Summary
    World Community Grid is pleased to launch the Linux version of The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2 (CEP2). This project is provided by the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA and hopes to find promising new materials for organic solar cells.

The extensive computing power of World Community Grid will be used to help research scientists create new materials to produce more efficient and inexpensive solar cells that will serve as viable energy sources for the world’s future needs.

CEP2 is performing electronic structure calculations: To obtain more accurate optical, electronic and other physical properties of the candidate solar materials, quantum mechanics calculations are being performed for each of the candidates. These calculations will be performed with the Q-Chem quantum chemistry software, developed by Q-Chem, Inc. This work will result in a useful database of information about the properties of a large number of compounds. This project will also provide direct input to experimental groups to aid in their design of improved solar cells.

For additional information on this project, please press the Research button in the upper navigation bar or click here.

Action Required to Participate in CEP2

Unlike most of our other projects, we will not automatically opt anyone into CEP2. This is because CEP2 uses code that, like other World Community Grid projects, is very computationally intensive, but unlike other World Community Grid projects, it is also very data intensive. Members will have to go to their My Projects page and elect to participate in this project.

At launch time, work units are only available for Linux users. Work units for Mac and Windows users are currently scheduled to be released prior to July 17, 2010. Additionally, the distribution of work units is limited to computers that have upload and download speeds of 1 Mbps or higher.

The CPU impact of this on computers is anticipated to be similar to other projects running on World Community Grid because the computer resource requirements for CEP2 are similar to that of FightAIDS@Home and HPF2. However, CEP2 requires a considerable amount of input and output data. The initial download required for this project is around 160MB and each work unit download is around 1MB. The results for a single work unit can be around 50MB, which is about 500 times larger than a typical FightAIDS@Home result. A 756kbps network connection would take approximately 12-15 minutes to download the work unit. At this time, there are no alternative solutions to overcome this issue.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    To read more click here
    Chicken Patty says thanks.
  4. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Don't know if this was mentioned in the team thread (Im a little behind there), but when looking at my Project Manager there was a new WU I had not seen :D (if you have the box to automatically opt in checked, then you are already in and are receiving WUs, if not and you want to add it do so via your project manager on WCG.com)

Computing for Clean Water

Read more here
    http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/research/c4cw/overview.do
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I just noticed this yeterday! I seem to be running a few of them too :toast: anybody got any details on this project?
  6. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    This is what they say the mission is:

The mission of Computing for Clean Water is to provide deeper insight on the molecular scale into the origins of the efficient flow of water through a novel class of filter materials. This insight will in turn guide future development of low-cost and more efficient water filters.

I was reading about it on WCG.com, saw that part of the research is on carbon nanotubes which I thought was interesting.

The WUs so far are only taking about 2hrs to complete on my i7, so its a nice quick WU. Maybe someone can check their results and see if they have similar times so we can see if this is like the Rice project where all the WUs were 6hrs long no matter the CPU, or if this is dependent on CPU speed.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    I can check when I get home :toast: thanks for the info.
    theonedub says thanks.
  8. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    hmmm, not running any "Clean Water" WU's right now so can't check. :(
  9. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    The CW ones are the only ones I get on my i7. Take about 3 and a half hours, claim ~100 points and get ~75
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Exeodus

Exeodus

Thanks Received:

Thanks for the link. I am glad to see proof that all of the work put into this project by the Techpowerup! team and all the other teams in WCG is being realized. It makes me proud to say that I am part of the fight to defeat cancer :)

:toast: to all those who participate.
  12. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Dear Chicken Patty,

We are pleased to inform you that World Community Grid has launched a brand new project called Computing for Clean Water. In addition, new work units for the Help Fight Childhood Cancer project are being released.

Computing for Clean Water: Lack of access to clean water is one of the major humanitarian challenges for many regions in the developing world. It is estimated that 1.2 billion people lack access to safe drinking water, and 2.6 billion have little or no sanitation. World Community Grid and researchers at Tsinghua University, in Beijing, China are working together to understand the molecular scale properties of a new class of efficient and inexpensive water filter materials, which may help to satisfy demand for cheap, clean drinking water in developing countries.

For more information about this exciting project, please go to our Research section here or view the press release here.

Help Fight Childhood Cancer: The initial computations have identified promising drug candidates and the research scientists have identified three additional targets they would like the World Community Grid volunteers to process.

For a personal message from the research scientist, Dr. Akira Nakagawara, please go to our Forum section here.

News & Updates: For more late breaking news about World Community Grid, please check out the News & Updates section on the website. Click Here!

Your last result was returned on September 24, 2010. We need all the computing power available for this critical research. If you are no longer contributing, you may download the software again here.

You may check to see if you are set up to receive work for these projects by clicking here.

The World Community Grid Team
  13. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Chicken Patty says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Dear Black Panther,

World Community Grid is excited to announce its partnership with People for a Smarter Planet, a network of communities sponsored by IBM that lets people make meaningful, personal contributions towards building a smarter planet.

The charter of People for a Smarter Planet is to use crowdsourced knowledge to address some of the planet's biggest problems. Our mission aligns perfectly with this charter, so we are proud to become one of the founding members of People for a Smarter Planet.

Joining People for a Smarter Planet also means that we will be benefiting from its social outreach efforts, which will help increase our ranks. In turn, this means World Community Grid can donate even more free computer power to new research projects, and complete existing projects faster.

Ultimately, we would like to become the largest supercomputer in the world, dedicated to solving problems that can benefit all of humanity. With your continued help and the additional visibility we will receive from this partnership, that goal is within reach.

Please show your support by visiting the People for a Smarter Planet Facebook page, clicking the Like button, and sharing the news with your friends. On this page, you can also learn about our sister communities and submit ideas for new activities that can help us build a smarter planet.

Thank you,

KieX, Chicken Patty and garyinhere say thanks.
  15. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    In case anyone else is having issues getting or sending work:
    [​IMG]
    Black Panther says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    I have plenty of c4cw tasks in the cue for all of my rigs and I'm running 100%. What I have noticed is that several of my rigs have 'Ready to report' status on several completed tasks and in the Messages tab I have that message. At least I'm ok for several hours.
    [Ion] says thanks.
  17. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Same here, all of my rigs are set with a 2-3 day buffer. But just in case anyone was having issues reporting ;)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    World Community Grid is pleased to inform you that the Windows and Mac versions of The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2 were deployed on November 8, 2010.

This means that if you have a Windows or Mac computer, you may now contribute the unused cycles of that computer toward research that is designed to find more efficient methods of harvesting solar energy.

The Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, is the sponsor of this project. For additional information, please click
    here.

We would also like to mention that a significant milestone was recently achieved. As a result of your contribution, and the contributions of all World Community Grid volunteers, more than 400,000 years of computer run time have been donated to advance research on critical humanitarian issues. For more information about this milestone, click here.

There are currently a total of 8 research projects running on World Community Grid and all of them need your help. It's easy, free, and secure to provide computing power to these important projects. Learn more about these projects and their accomplishments here.

Click here to see which research projects you have selected to receive work from.

Thank you for your continued support of World Community Grid!

[Ion], ocgmj, Sadasius and 2 others say thanks.
  19. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
  20. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Wow, cool!

Thanks for letting us know! :rockout:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Saw that on FB. Awesome :toast:
  22. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I didn't :p

FB Mobile is all I can get here, and it severely limits what it displays :ohwell:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    This is regarding the Childhood Cancer Project. :toast:

We have done more than 60% calculation of this project (T1, S1, S2, N1, L3, L4).

Dr. Nakagawara elected a President of Asian Region of International Society of Pediatric Oncology.

World Community Grid greeted the 6th anniversary.

Thank you.
    KieX says thanks.
  24. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,30452
    garyinhere and mjkmike say thanks.
  25. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    World Community Grid to benefit from Jeopardy! competition

I watched 'Watson' in action on NOVA scienceNOW last week. It was faster than a human's hand and always correct.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
    theonedub says thanks.