1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WCG news update

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Black Panther, Mar 9, 2010.

1. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    I certainly hope Watson wins - then WCG gets 500k. What would be really cool is if somehow they could make some sort of distributed computing based supercomputer to do things like this. Workunits wouldn't work, though - not fast enough. Still, if there were some way, it would be awesome to contribute directly to something like this!
  2. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    The final Jeopardy answer is 'WATSON'. Your answer must be in the form of a question.

[​IMG]
    Chicken Patty says thanks.
  3. twilyth Guest

IBM press release

4. twilyth Guest

From WCG email to members dated Feb. 24th, 2011

5. mjkmike

mjkmike

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    Chicken Patty and theonedub say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    New update:

[​IMG]
  7. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Got this email today:

Dear Chicken Patty,

On August 12, 2011, you're invited to participate in a live webcast to hear an overview and update on World Community Grid's Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together project. The event will be hosted by Dr. Robert Malmstrom from the The University of Texas Medical Branch.

Since 2007, World Community Grid has had the privilege of supporting the innovative research underway at The University of Texas Medical Branch to advance the discovery of finding a cure for Dengue Fever.

This is the "Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together - Phase 2" project that many of you run every day on your laptops and PCs for World Community Grid, helping us make progress towards identifying promising drug candidates to combat the Dengue, Hepatitis C, West Nile, Yellow Fever, and other related viruses. Though hundreds of thousands are afflicted with these diseases each year, many fatally, there are still no effective treatments.

The webcast will take place on August 12, 2011, starting promptly at 11:00AM Eastern Daylight Time (USA), which is 15:00 Coordinated Universal Time. Please join a few minutes early so that you're sure not to miss anything.

Participants can listen to Dr. Malmstrom while viewing an on-screen presentation. Time permitting, you will be able to ask questions via a text chat interface and Dr. Malmstrom will try to answer them.

Access to the webcast is via this link: https://apps.lotuslive.com/meetings/join?id=0327108

You can check if your computer is ready for the webcast at this link: https://www.conferenceservers.com/browser?brand=LLENGAGE_EN-US

And whether or not you can join the webcast, make sure your laptop, PC or Mac is running World Community Grid, and let your friends know this easy way to participate in finding a cure for Dengue Fever!

Thank you,

The World Community Grid Team

P.S. After the webcast we will post the video of the webcast on YouTube, in the World Community Grid News & Update section, and we'll send you a link to the video.
  8. twilyth Guest

Dupe of my post in the team thread.

I wandered over the WCG forums tonight. It's been months since I was there last - at least for the purpose of seeing what was shaking on the forums. It looks like there is a problem validating work units. Best guess from one of the CA's is that the problem started around 2100 UTC.

No indication what the problem is or when it will be fixed so if you're checking your results status and see a lot of pending wu's, this is most likely the problem.

https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,31563
  9. KieX

Thanks Received:
    New Project: Drug Search for Leishmaniasis

Noticed this new project, although didn't see any information on it beforehand. So here's for anyone else that may have missed this. (Extract from WCG Site)

Drug Search for Leishmaniasis
    [​IMG]

Project Status and Findings:
    Information about this project is provided on the web pages below and by the project scientists on the Drug Search for Leishmaniasis website. If you have comments or questions about this project, please visit the Drug Search for Leishmaniasis forum.

Mission
    The mission of Drug Search for Leishmaniasis is to identify potential molecule candidates that could possibly be developed into treatments for Leishmaniasis. The extensive computing power of World Community Grid will be used to perform computer simulations of the interactions between millions of chemical compounds and certain target proteins. This will help find the most promising compounds that may lead to effective treatments for the disease.

Significance
    Leishmaniasis is one of the most neglected tropical diseases in the world. Each year this disease infects more than two million people in 97 countries. To date, there are no available vaccines to prevent the disease, in spite of multiple research efforts. Leishmaniasis is caused by a protozoan parasite (genus Leishmania) transmitted between human and animal hosts by female sand flies. One form of the disease, the "visceral" form caused by Leishmania infantum in America, mainly affects children, who can die if adequate treatment is not provided promptly. Existing control measures rely upon drug therapy, insect control and education in the affected communities. However, the number of human cases continues to increase in tropical countries such as Bangladesh, India, Sudan, Ethiopia, Brazil, Colombia, Peru and many others.

The classical treatments for all forms of Leishmaniasis can cause severe side effects, including death. Furthermore, drug resistant parasites are causing major problems in many endemic countries. For these reasons, there is an urgent need for new, safe and inexpensive anti-Leishmania drug compounds.

Approach
    A software program called VINA from The Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California, will be used to perform the virtual chemistry experiments. These virtual experiments will search to find which of millions of drug compounds might be able to disable particular proteins, essential for the parasite's survival. Screening for the best potential drug compounds is an early step in the process of developing effective treatments for the disease. With enough computing power, this screening can be done much more quickly than using conventional laboratory experiments. However, existing computer facilities available to the researchers would require approximately 120 years to perform the screening. The power of World Community Grid can reduce the time required to less than one year. Information about the best candidate compounds will be published by the scientists, and this information will be available in the public domain for other scientists to build upon with their research. Further laboratory work using the best candidates identified by this project could lead to the development of better drugs to fight Leishmaniasis.

Links:
    Project Overview
    Project Details
    Project News
    Project FAQ's
  10. twilyth Guest

Much appreciated KieX. I love to go all in on new projects so I be the first geek on my block with pimp new sapphire badge.

I've been meaning to pm you but as long as I'm here, let me know if Phil was able to make setting up the contest a little easier for you. Thanks.
  11. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    New lecture & more servers:

12. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Awesome :toast:
  13. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Should be interesting to see GPU support slowly added to WCG projects. I think this would be worth adding a second lower powered GPU to use exclusively for HCC projects while the more powerful GPU stays on folding- at least for me.
    BinaryMage and Chicken Patty say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    That would be awesome, I do have a lower end GPU here I can add that can do those projects while the higher end folds as you said.
  15. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes! Finally!

I have an HD4850 which I've been running other BOINC projects on because it's terribly inefficient at folding, and I'm excited to be able to switch that over. :):)
  16. KieX

Thanks Received:
    New Project: GO Fight Against Malaria

Wasn't sure if it was worth making a new thread so since I posted DSFL here before, thought I'd reuse the same thread. Let's do our thing team :rockout:

GO Fight Against Malaria
    [​IMG]

Project Status and Findings:
    Information about this project is provided on the web pages below. To comment or ask questions about this project, please submit a post in the GO Fight Against Malaria Forum.

Mission
    The mission of the GO Fight Against Malaria project is to discover promising drug candidates that could be developed into new drugs that cure drug resistant forms of malaria. The computing power of World Community Grid will be used to perform computer simulations of the interactions between millions of chemical compounds and certain target proteins, to predict their ability to eliminate malaria. The best compounds will be tested and further developed into possible treatments for the disease.

Significance

Malaria is one of the three deadliest infectious diseases on earth and is caused by parasites that infect both humans and animals. Female mosquitoes spread the disease by biting infected hosts and passing the parasites to other hosts that they bite later. When these parasites replicate themselves in red blood cells (which the parasites use for food), the symptoms of malaria appear. Malaria initially causes fevers and headaches, and in severe cases it leads to comas or death. Plasmodium falciparum, the parasite that causes the deadliest form of malaria, kills more people than any other parasite on the planet. Over 3 billion people are at risk of being infected with malaria.

Although there are many approved drugs that are able to cure malarial infections, multi-drug-resistant mutant "superbugs" exist that are not eliminated by the current drugs. Because new mutant superbugs keep evolving and spreading throughout the world, discovering and developing new types of drugs that can cure infections by these multi-drug-resistant mutant strains of malaria is a significant global health priority.

Approach

Scientists at The Scripps Research Institute of La Jolla, California, U.S.A., will use IBM's World Community Grid to computationally evaluate millions of candidate compounds against different molecular drug targets from the malaria parasite. If these target molecules can be disabled, then patients infected with malaria can potentially be cured. The computations will estimate the ability of the candidate compounds to disable the particular target molecules needed by the malaria parasite to survive and multiply. Particular priority will be given to targets and candidate compounds which could attack the multi-drug-resistant mutant "superbug" strains of the malaria parasite. The power of World Community Grid can reduce to one (1) year what would take at least one hundred (100) years to complete using the resources normally available to the researchers at The Scripps Research Institute. The results computed on World Community Grid will be available in the public domain for all scientists to use and build upon in their research to develop drugs to fight malaria.

Links:
    Project Overview
    Project Details
    Project News
    Project FAQ's
    BinaryMage and Chicken Patty say thanks.
  17. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
  18. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Thanks captain!! :toast:

subscribed
    Crunching for Team TPU 10 Million points folded for TPU
  19. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Anytime brotha, thread was old so it was not even showing in the team section. had to revive it :D
    Norton says thanks.
  20. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Got my 7 years of SN2S so now the 2 year hunt start over for a nice new blue badge. It is not a race (F150, Kiex and minhund) since I know that this time I will lose big time ;)
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  21. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Seems Wcg is down til tomorrow guys. Our numbers will be in the toilet for a couple days. Guess I should pay attention more to the home page as I would have loaded up on work. As it looks my systems will be sitting idle by this evening.
    stinger608 and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Website says 2pm UTC tomorrow as the completion time for their maintenance (10am Eastern time US I think)

Their Facebook page indicates that they are a little ahead of schedule so that's a good sign.

Just checked my work buffer I should be good til then.....
    Crunching for Team TPU 10 Million points folded for TPU
  23. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    :banghead: Yep I will be totally out of work units by late this after noon or early evening on both of my rigs! :banghead:

Dang it, I also wish I would have known that.
    ThE_MaD_ShOt says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  24. twilyth Guest

Is there a reason why everyone doesn't set their buffer to something like 4 or 5 days? I have mine set to 4. You can set it up to 10.

If you ever need to do a purge, you just blow out all of the wu's in the queue. They might throttle you for a day or 2, but they'll get over it pretty quickly. I've done it numerous times.
  25. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Thats how I have mine setup too, but I did it because my ISP is pretty unreliable. When I installed my SSD I did have to purge ~3days worth of WUs, but that is the only time I have ever had to abort such a massive amount of tasks :eek:
    Crunching for Team TPU