• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WD My Cloud 4Tb - Lost full content of Share Folder and Safepoint

TToff

Hullo,

Yesterday I lost a whole content of my main custom share folder on My Cloud 3Tb and simultaneously all data on my Safepont backup drive (sic!) (3Tb).

Previously I have noticed that My Cloud frequently disconnected itself from my home network. Thus I had to reboot it by detaching power supply. There was also a problem with recognition of my USB external storage attached to My Cloud (Safepoint drive).

Finally I did a Safe Factory Restore and I switched my main share folder setting from public to private. While doing that my main custom share folder disappeared from share list (Windows Explorer and web UI). When I switched back to public it reappeared again.

I think in this moment I noticed in Windos Explorer that in my main custom folder share sub-folder (huge volume - about 2.7TB) content became disappeared - there were files and subfolders there.

After certain time the share was emptied. There were only one folder (empty) and one sub-folder (empty).

I was struck dumb discovering that the Safepoint drive was also emptied. All folders remains in the root but they were completely empty!

As WD assures it was to be the safest protection for the My Cloud data!.
Thus I have lost almost 3Tb of precious data.

Today I contacted WD Support and they confirmed no data on the both drive. They, in the preliminary way proposed me an exchange (drive is on warranty) free of charge (after recovery attempt)! The final decision should be confirmed. They have advised me to contact recovery service company to retrieve the data. Of course they do not cover the fee.

They have not been able to explain why and how was it possible to loose the data from Safepoint drive.

I am extremely disappointed. In such case the whole WD idea of data security is totally untrustworthy. I will never be able to trust it and put on it any valuable data, any data.

I wonder wher if any of you have the similar problem.

I would be deeply thankful if you could furnish me with any potential cause of that disaster and if the lost data could be recoverable.

Thank you in advance and be careful, do not trust a Safepoint stability and security.

I wish I made a backup on a separate drive and not on attached to My Cloud one. Well, I wish I bought and used My Cloud at all.

Thank you in advance for any suggestion on the above.

SuperSoph_WD

WD Rep
Hey there, @TToff !

Well, I'm really sorry about your data on the WD My Cloud. :(
Unfortunately, my guess is that between the otherwise safe factory restore & the switching of the main share from public to private and back again might have caused your existing files and folders to vanish by creating brand new directories for your new public/private folders. :( Since the Safepoint backup drive was most probably plugged during that whole process, it would explain why the data from there is gone as well.
I'm sorry but if even our tech support couldn't help you, I believe it's best to take a look at our Data Recovery partners: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=fnGwky

I strongly recommend you to always keep several backups of your most precious data. Preferably ON-site and a couple OFF-site. My personal off-site back up is: external HDDs + DVDs (which I keep locked in a drawer). This is the best way to avoid data loss in the future and save yourself the headaches and the money.

Best of luck with the recovery if you decide to go through with it. And again, sorry, to see you see so disappointed!
SuperSoph_WD

TToff

I thank you very much for you well-aimed diagnostic.
As far as I recall and associate my actions and their results the raison of that disaster has to be switching between public-private folder share access setting. That is why I have lost all the content (not folders) on my backup (Safepoint) attached drive.

The only folder (Public) I did not switch that setting for has remained intact. alerting a co

What is most important and deeply deceiving and what causes my utter amazement that there is no information, warning prompt/pop-up neither in the WD My Cloud manual, nor on web UI screen alerting an everyman user of that highly important risk!
While one is submerged with an incredible amount of useless pop-ups on almost every and each click-action!

I am not a quite newbie system user and I have never imagined that switching between the access share permission could erase the folder data. Especially as described above.

Thank you for your precious advice on backup instruction. I will apply it plainly.

I have received a very useful piece of advice I would like to share with those... touch wood.

Quote:

All the data recovery possible can be done by yourself as long as the original drive hasn't completely failed. This is what to do. Buy two new 3TB or larger hard drives. Use Linux to do a clone of the MyCloud drive to one of the new drives. It will copy every one and zero from the MyCloud drive over to the new drive. Then run Recuva, an excellent and free data recovery program, on the cloned drive and use the second new hard drive to write the files to. The reason I recommend the two new drives and cloning the original is that the old drive showed some signs of possible failure and we want to be as gentle as possible. There are no guarantees but I think that most or all of your data is easily recoverable.

Next time, make sure that you have other backups of your data. Also watch out for problems or any sort of signs of failure in a hard drive. If you have only one place where you are storing things and that drive gives you any problem whatsoever, backing up that data is the number one priority, not playing with things like "Safe Factory Restore."

(...)

The beauty of an exact clone of the old drive and using a third drive to write the recovered data to is that you can use as many different recovery programs as many different times as you want. Try Recuva first. If it doesn't do what you want, then pay for the other software.

Qing Dao on NotebookReview Forum.

Once more a huge thanks for your kind reaction.
My best regards.

PS
Yesterday I received a call from WD Support Staff, they will take care of my disk. I have been relieved.
Now, the question is what is the probability of recovering the content and what part.

thumbs up!

And i suscribe totally what Qing Dao said: make a full copy on a clean hdd at FIRST SIGN OF PROBLEMS.

Processor i7-4790
Motherboard ASUS Z97-K
Cooling Zalman CNPS90F Cooler
Memory G.Skill ARES 16 GB 2400MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB GDDR5
Storage 240 SSD Crucial BX200, Seagate 2TB 7200RPM
Display(s) Dell P2314H 23" (Dual)
Case Zalman Case Z3
Power Supply Zalman LX-Series 700W PFC
Software Windows 10 Ultimate
I had the same issue.

I've WD My Cloud EX2. One day I find out that the system was down.. what happend?? - the fan was not working and the temperature was too high.. I had RAID1 and despite of this both of 2T HDD was damaged unrecoverably. All MY DATA WAS LOST TOTALLY!!! :(

Never, NEVER trust WD My Cloud EX2 or one day you'll loose all your unvaluable data and unable to recover it.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I had the same issue.

I've WD My Cloud EX2. One day I find out that the system was down.. what happend?? - the fan was not working and the temperature was too high.. I had RAID1 and despite of this both of 2T HDD was damaged unrecoverably. All MY DATA WAS LOST TOTALLY!!! :(

Never, NEVER trust WD My Cloud EX2 or one day you'll loose all your unvaluable data and unable to recover it.

"I had the same issue"

Proceeds to describe completely different issue. Customer logic + that swaggin' 1 year old thread necro.

I recommend prodding our venerable WD dreadnought @SuperSoph_WD. If your EX2 was/is in warranty when the fan failed (supposedly) killing your two HDD's, WD can assist.

Mental note: replace stock fan with a nice Noctua or similar when I buy a EX2. I have a basic My Cloud (1 drive) without fan.

SuperSoph_WD

WD Rep
I had the same issue.

Welcome to the TPU community, @suxumi!

I'm truly sorry to hear about your data! :( However, you should always keep in mind that having only one copy of your files, regardless of its location (NAS, computer, external drive, cloud storage, etc.) is highly dangerous! My advice is to always have at least two copies of your most precious files stored in several locations (on-site as well as off-site)! This is the surest way to avoid any potential data loss. Unfortunately, RAID 1 or any other RAID array configuration is not a safe backup solution either, so you most definitely consider having one backup of your array data stored somewhere else as well.

Just like @RCoon mentioned, you should check your WD My Cloud EX2 Warranty . In case it's still covered, you should get in touch with our Customer Support, either by phone or e-mail and send your RMA request.

Again, sorry to hear about your poor experience with our WD My Cloud EX2!
Hope everything works out for you! Best of luck!

SuperSoph_WD

Processor i7-4790
Motherboard ASUS Z97-K
Case Zalman Case Z3
Appreciate your replies.. I've already contacted with WD support, also posted on community but there are no any responses yet..

But I have a question and could you give me an advise:

Can I somehow restore the data from this HDD's? On windows, OS doesn't recognize the file system, as I assume it's a Linux based format, so is there any way to restore somehow?

Thanks in advance

BTW: Previously I bought the My Cloud 3T, which still works fine but because of big data I had, I bought this EX2 for more stability and because of the RAID.. but as I see it failed for me, unfortunately :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
BTW: Previously I bought the My Cloud 3T, which still works fine but because of big data I had, I bought this EX2 for more stability and because of the RAID.. but as I see it failed for me, unfortunately :(

As said, RAID is not backup. Always a terrible lesson to learn. :(

SuperSoph_WD

WD Rep
Appreciate your replies.. I've already contacted with WD support, also posted on community but there are no any responses yet..

But I have a question and could you give me an advise:

Can I somehow restore the data from this HDD's? On windows, OS doesn't recognize the file system, as I assume it's a Linux based format, so is there any way to restore somehow?

Thanks in advance

I believe your best bet on getting those files back would be to contact a professional data recovery company for assistance, especially if there is physical damage present on the HDDs. If Windows doesn't recognize the file system, it's most probably corrupted. (It might also be listed as RAW format or Unallocated) This is not Linux-based format, though. You could try performing data recovery attempts by yourself using a Ubuntu Live CD. However, nobody can determine how successful those attempts would be and they are entirely at your own risk.

Trust me, we've all been there, unfortunately! :(
Regardless of the storage device, a true backup means having (AT LEAST) two copies of your files stored in different locations! The more copies you have, the safer you will feel about the integrity of your data.

SuperSoph_WD

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Can I somehow restore the data from this HDD's?

If the failure is partition/format related, you can use a Live CD as suggested like Parted Magic. On that Live CD is a utility called PhotoRec (don't let the name fool you, it's for all files). If you run PhotoRec on the suspect drive and output the data to a separate drive of equal size, it should recover any data potentially lost from a simple loss of table format. PhotoRec does not maintain file names or folders, but should maintain filetypes and date created data.

If the failure is physical hardware related, get ready to pay the big bucks for a company to recover direct from the platters. I've successfully transplanted a set of platters from one defunct drive to another in a clean room, but I doubt any old domestic user could do it without accidentally fingerprinting the disk.

Processor i7-4790
Motherboard ASUS Z97-K
Case Zalman Case Z3
Thank you all guys.. I'll follow your advice and will post the results..

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I recommend prodding our venerable WD dreadnought @SuperSoph_WD.
That was some awesome praise right there. The wording is perfect. ...dreadnought. :laugh:

I second the off-site backup. If you keep the cloud server powered down, 100GB at Google Compute Engine is only 4 dollars a month. I think it costs me ~30-35USD/mo to keep a n1-standard-1 up all the time with 100GB of storage. Granted, I put the important things there, not the really big files. I keep those locally on two different systems with RAID-5. The important stuff is in two places locally to my place of residence, and on the cloud at GCE. At least that way, if the house burns down, the important stuff is safe and if my tower or gateway/nas/vm server explodes, everything is safe.