1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WD VelociRaptor 80gb refurb worth?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by camoxiong, Apr 21, 2013.

1. camoxiong

camoxiong

Thanks Received:
  2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    It would be a nice little boost. 160Gb for 50 USD that would maybe run at 200MB/s isn't too shabby, but you have to ask yourself if the extra noise and using up more drive bays is really worth it. Personally I would save up for an SSD because no rotational media drive will give you access speeds like an SSD will (sans ram disks.) Consider for a moment that velociraptors do great with sequential reads and write but still lacks on random read/writes.

So really it's up to you, the raptors will be cheaper but an SSD will be faster so the SSD will reap much larger benefits than raptors in RAID-0. Bandwidth aside, the higher IOPS for random reads is what gets a lot of stuff to load faster in more cases than not. I would only consider velociraptors if I was storing a lot of data where capacity is a bit more important than speed as opposed to SSDs where it's the opposite, speed is a bit more important than capacity.

On a side note: I find that refurbished WD drives tend to last. I haven't ever had to send a refurbished WD drive back (you get refurbished drives back after doing an RMA).
    camoxiong says thanks.
  3. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
  4. camoxiong

camoxiong

Thanks Received:
    ok
  5. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    I would say NO, because they are big and noisy while small in capacity. They had their good times, but it's over now. I would save up for an SSD instead.
  6. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i dont think it would be good, first 80gb HDD era is just pass several years ago. so you gonna have old spec and speed
    second, raid may help you to get better speed but if you buy 2 you gonna spend $50. just saving and add some $ you gonna have ssd :D
  7. camoxiong

camoxiong

Thanks Received:
    Ok, thanks for the tips