1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Weird 3dMark Scores...

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by chron, Jun 5, 2006.

1. chron New Member

Thanks Received:
    I overclocked my X1800GTO to 700/700 after unlocking it to 16 pipes... My scores in 3dmark05 and 06 don't reflect what they should though...

I have a DELL Dimension 4700: Intel 3GHz w HTT, 500wPSU, 2GB ram, X1800GTO, SoundBlaster X-Fi...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm pretty positive that these scores are low because my computer is a POS dell with a dumb processor and dumb motherboard... Am I wrong?

2. Dillinger

Dillinger

Thanks Received:
    you know I got a really low score I rebooted and I got a much higher score

3. _33

_33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Disable Hyperthreading

4. giorgos th.

giorgos th. New Member

Thanks Received:
    change your Intel with an AMD or get a phase change cooling for him..

5. chron New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea, it has GOT to be the crapola processor. I think I'll upgrade to conroe when it comes out...

Would a 32bit intel 3GHz HT processor be a bottleneck to an x1800 at 700/700? I'm sure it has to be this...

6. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    it wont bother your gaming performance quite as much as the 3dmarks suggest it will thow..

your grfx card will keep the low framerate parts of a game nicely up and the possibly crappy rest of the system will only affect the high framerate parts of the game.. its the lows that affect gameplay not the highs so things aint quite as bad as they seem..

with a fast grfx card and slower cpu.. your gaming fps average will just even out.. the lows will be good and the highs will not be so good.. which is far better then the other way around.. he he

trog

7. chron New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey thanks, you know I do notice that. With vsync off in css I usualy dont go above 75-80 but my lows are arround 45 -50 (exept in heavy fight situations then it drops down to as low as 20!) I leave vsync on and force triple buffers on it and my fps are still 50-70

would the fps loss in heavy action moments on css be due to my processor?

8. FLY3R New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah those scores are low, my set up with a 7800GT and 2.6gHz 3700+ gets over 7000+

9. intelandgigabyte New Member

Thanks Received:
    overclock your cpu to 3.6ghz and see if the scores get better

10. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    "would the fps loss in heavy action moments on css be due to my processor?"

no not at all.. your cpu/system will only ever limit your highs.. all those heavy fight slow downs are your grfx card trying to cope with the extra bad guys and flash bang pretties stuff..

so if u get a faster cpu/system and keep your same grfx card all your benches will get higher average scores but the lows will stay pretty much the same only the highs u dont need will get higher..

within reasonable limits.. in a real life game its 99% grfx card.. the grfx card governs those all important lows.. the rest of the system governs those none important highs..

of course in reviewers gaming comparison tests.. the fast cpu will always seem to win out.. but it only does this cos the bits that dont matter run faster.. u have to upgrade the grfx card to get the bits that matter to run faster..

from a gaming point of view your system is better than the normal tests suggest it is..

where it matters the grfx card is king.. ignore all this super gaming cpu crap.. he he..

trog

11. chron New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL, because its a dell... Please don't hate ;) I've had it for almost 2 years now and I've replaced everything in it pretty much so all I need to do now is get a new case, motherboard, and processor, and I can put this dell back together like I first got it and have a seperate PC...

I'll be upgrading to conroe or am2, both use ddr2 which is what I'm using rite now...

Yea, I do notice my games run alot smoother than compaired to people who get higher 3d mark scores... Heres a fear test:

[​IMG]

Now, keep in mind vsync was on, I don't know how it got to 81 since there should have been a limit at 70... I'll close all these programs I have running in the backround and see if the score is the same...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006