1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Weird CPU frequency behaviour after BIOS update

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Faith[ROG].Anarchy, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Faith[ROG].Anarchy

Faith[ROG].Anarchy

Thanks Received:
    Yes, my Acer laptop is having that problem (look at the spec). After trying to update to the latest version of the BIOS (2.15 at the moment) so I can get UEFI boot for Windows 8. What I've been noticing is that the CPU frequency of that Core i3 is not stable. Really frustrating because that really affects gaming. Meh, this new BIOS really not works it out :cry:
    As well as the GPU, acting really weird. Frequency not stable at all. I've just sent out the laptop for cleaning and thermal compound replacement like a week ago so overheating is not a reason here I think

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  2. janeparker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Suppose CPU frequency is varying in such way -

Drop to from 3600 to 3200 then to 1800 then to around 1300 then shoot back up, then it could be power saver plan. If any such frequency change is happening then it is a normal operation.

Try turning off the power saver plan in the BIOS and you will see the clock speed become rock solid. Hope it will help.