• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Weird Freezing/System lockup about 10-15 minutes after boot.

Processor i7 3770K @ 3.5 - stock
Motherboard AsRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Coolermaster 212+ with 2x fractal fans
Memory 12gb ddr3: 2x2gb g.skill 1333 ripjaws + 2x4gb g.skill 1333 nt
Video Card(s) 2x VTX3d 2GB 6950 in Crossfire
Storage 128gb kingston hyperx ssd+ ~ 7tb of varied storage
Display(s) 24" BenQ G2420HD + 22" v7
Case Fractal R3
Power Supply OCZ zx1000
Software Windows 7 x64
[What was happening]
So for a few weeks/months now I'd been experiencing fairly slow boot times with my kingston hyperx 128gb ssd (it was fine when I first got it, after a firmware fix) I decided to try fix it yesterday and updated the firmware again.

I started getting blue screens of death not long into using the computer, it didn't seem to matter whether I was playing a game or not. (Screens with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) I have phone photos of a few of them, but I'm not sure they're relevant anymore as that's no longer my problem.

I rolled back the ssd firmware update figuring there must be something wrong with either the firmware or the ssd, so that was the first suspect. I considered it could possibly be the motherboard too, and as such, cleared the cmos, and updated the bios (uefi) firmware, and then cleared cmos again, before checking to make my settings right.

The minidumps I had from the recent bsod's that did actually log had atikmpag.sys to blame, another reason to think it was the gpu causing that..

-------------------------------
[What is happening now]
I spent hours intermittently toying with this so I can't remember every detail, but I got the bsod's to stop. However I would find maybe half an hour after boot, I was playing a game and there'd be a graphical glitch, the system would lock up, and I'd have to hard reset, and so my third suspect became the gpu.

It happened again another 2 or 3 times like this, and as such, instead tried looking around support forums and whatnot.

Interestingly, it still happened without being in a game. It seemed the only requirement to replicate it was to have the computer on for 10-15 minutes. The screen was freezing up and the mouse/keyboard were becoming unresponsive. Again, more looking round and some people suggested hard drive corruption, some suggested bad ram, some suggested the gpu's didn't like having both crossfire bridges connected after the most recent drivers (which I did)
some suggested the psu wasn't pulling it's weight and more.

I found it could've been corrupt usb3 drivers, where both my usb and mouse were plugged in, so after restarting I'd plugged them back into usb2 and went to update the drivers from my mobo site. It still happened, and I noticed a windows waiting logo (the spinning wheel) was still spinning when I froze up. This told me it wasn't graphical, and so the next time while searching for problems, I ran a video in the background. Interestingly, this time, it did freeze up when the computer did.

I couldn't change keyboard profile with the buttons, I didn't hear any response from the computer through audio if I tried certain shortcuts, and if I tried replugging the usb's back in, they no longer connected at all. This told me it was whole system lockup, and it was consistently happening about 10-15 minutes after boot.

-----------------
Is it the psu?
The psu still doesn't make sense to me as a possibility, ocz zx 1000w 80+ gold and not a problem with it so far till I started doing stuff yesterday. Personally, I rule it out, the computer is still staying on for the crash.

-----------------
Is it the gpu?
Tried things such as turning off crossfire, wiping drivers and installing new, wiping drivers and going back to ones that definitely worked. They weren't overheating and not even getting close to it.

I'd also pulled the second crossfire bridge out, but that didn't seem to help.

Still a possibility but again, seems odd it only started freezing up yesterday after my toying with it.

-----------------
Is it the cpu?

Temps and fans are absolutely fine, (like sub 40c when the crashes are happening) It's not under stress, and it's one of the things I haven't been changing when the bsod's/crashes started yesterday, which tells me changing it won't fix the root of the problem..

I'd rule it out.

-----------------
Is it the ram?
I pulled one set of sticks out, knowing it'd be strange for the ram to suddenly go corrupt on the day I'm trying to fix it, so I doubt it, but I did consider the new uefi firmware has screwed up the timings, since I had two different ramkits, I'd had a computer get confused before when It tried allocating the same voltages/timings to both kits.

So I pulled one kit out and left the 2x4gb in, and checked I had the timings and stuff set right. It still happened 15 minutes later.
------
So what in the hell is it?
I ran checkdisk from windows, no problems, I ran sfc /scannow overnight which verified/had no problems. Changing the ram and having the timings correct didn't seem to fix it.
So when I woke up It was still happening. Ironically, I got a paragraph through this post before it happened again, and had to retype it on my laptop.

I'm now running memtest86 on the desktop, but again, I'm highly doubting it's the memory, as it was all fine before yesterday except for the slow boot times.

-----------
Tl;Dr Computer has slow boot times, I try fix them, start getting bsods, which I fix, but instead start getting computer locking up consistently about 10-15 minutes after bootup.
After trying various things, I don't know what's to blame or what to fix.

Case Fractal R3
Power Supply OCZ zx1000
Software Windows 7 x64
SPECS

Mobo: AsRock Z77 Extreme4
Cpu/Coooling: i7 3770K @ 3.5 - stock with Coolermaster 212+ with 2x fractal fans
Ram: 12gb ddr3: 2x2gb g.skill 1333 ripjaws + 2x4gb g.skill 1333 nt
Gpu/s: 2x VTX3d 2GB 6950 in Crossfire
HDD/s: 128gb kingston hyperx ssd+ ~ 7tb of varied storage
PSU: OCZ zx1000
Monitor/s: 24" BenQ G2420HD + 22" v7

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
The fastest way to figure out what it is, is to use another drive format install adn try that. Or you can download Linux Mint Live DVD and boot to it. It really could be any of that you mentioned but if it ran fine before this started then most likely its a corupt OS and not hardware related.

Processor i7-9700
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) msi 1080
Storage Samsung SSD 850 pro 2TB+1tb hdd 7200rpm+ 1tb 970pro
Software Mageia 6 + Windows 10
Try with another ssd/hdd...

Case Fractal R3
Power Supply OCZ zx1000
Software Windows 7 x64
I luckily happened to find a spare 80gb sata drive laying around and installed a new win7 on that... The fact I've replicated this problem the last... 10-20 bootups over today and yesterday with it happening within 5-15 minutes for no reason... I think If I can run it solid for half an hour to an hour, that gives me enough reason to at least grab my shit off the ssd and do a new install on that..

Case Fractal R3
Power Supply OCZ zx1000
Software Windows 7 x64
It seems it was corrupt OS... reformat fixed it. Thanks guys.