1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Weird HD79x0 VDDC reported by GPUz

Discussion in 'GPU-Z' started by Nomain, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Nomain New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

GPUz shows that HD79x0 deliver weird voltage in load, while they are perfectly stable (3D Mark 11, Battlefield 3, no error OCCT...). They goes from 0,5V to 1,5V, as you can see on these HD7950 captures, not mine :
    [​IMG][​IMG]

My HD7970 products more or less the same thing when highly load or when I undervolt it.

- Are these voltage (0,5V-1,5V) right ?
    - Are they dangerous ?
    - What do you think about them ?

Thank you

:)

2. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    See if that helps.

3. Nomain New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maban,

Thank you for your reply.
    I've already tested this. If I close Afterburner and let the standard voltage, the voltage pikes occur less often, but still occur. So this is not exactly the problem.

Moreover, the point is that I want to set down the voltage (so that it consumes less power and makes much less noise), so I need a software like Afterburner.

I really don't know if the reported voltage VDDC from GPUz is correct or not and if is dangerous.

4. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    The reported spikes are nothing to worry about. They are false. You can safely have Afterburner or whatever open. The suggestion to close other programs that read the sensors is merely diagnostic and doesn't change the actual value. (Unless of course, you set the value differently.)

5. Nomain New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maban,

Thank you for your quick answers ! I think that you are right.

If Afterburner is opened with voltage set to 1,080V for my HD7970 and I see weird voltage spikes in GPUz (0,5-1,5V), this is nothing but a bug and everthing is ok. But I don't understand why these spikes occurs more often when I set down the voltage, like if spikes were a consequence of insuficient voltage.

And why GPUz developpers don't talk about this issue that affect HD79x0. This is like the new 12.3 pre WHQL Catalyst that consume much more power when IDLE, but AMD doesn't say anything about this.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012