1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Weird message from Avast - 'attack' warning?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Black Panther, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yesterday I was just browsing my usual sites i.e. TPU, G.N., TimesofMalta (reliable newspaper site) ebay, Klikk Malta (online local store) and OcUK (UK-based online store), when I first got this message from Avast:

[​IMG]

I got said message like 4 times in slightly more than an hour yesterday, but I ignored it, since anyway Avast appeared to be doing its work in blocking whatever it was.

Now today once more I'm on the same 6 sites, and the message once again popped up. So now I'm like.... :wtf:

I checked the IP and it's coming from Lithuania, precisely from some city there called Kaunas :confused: ISP being TEO...

[​IMG]

Well I'm just curious as to wth is this Lithuanian trying to do, and whether I should be worried. I've been using Avast for more than 5 years but this is the first time I seen such a message.

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Download the free version and run it. :toast: I use Avast myself and it doesn't get everything. The combination of Avast and Malwarebytes is a good one.

Black Panther says thanks.
  3. bvision New Member

Thanks Received:
    Recommend a Boot Scan

Avast has the ability to do a boot scan which I highly recommend. This way you can be certain that you don't have an underlying issue. I also recommend a software firewall like Zone Alarm which offers additional protection. The dude in Lithiania is trying hack into your system, sounds like he already has a hook in your browser. A software firewall can make you invisible as well as block such attempts.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    This is a remote DCOM attack. You can be sure that your PC is clean. You can't really do much about it. avast! did the job and there is no way to prevent this. Except the fact that someone on the other side with that IP has an infected system. Just ignore this message and live on.

5. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    It sounds like its found you and is constantly trying to hit you and failing. Not sure why it would keep trying.

6. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    @ erocker:

I ran Malwarebytes with this result:

[​IMG]

Am definitely sure the culprit hasn't got anything to do with superpi...