1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Weird Overclock

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Knoxx29, Mar 23, 2014.

1. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    if everybody was like that silkstone then forums would not exist, or those that did would all be full of rtfm or let me google that for you replies :(

some like the human touch you know :)

Knoxx29 says thanks.
  2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    At 4.7, if your temp is topping out at 67c, you got a great chip. It's likely you could hit 4.8 or 4.9 if you are feeling ambitious.

As stated before, the voltage and clock speed drops to save energy when the CPU is not under load. When you first boot up, there's a lot going on, so it'll look like it's under load, but will drop after booting is complete.

Knoxx29 says thanks.
  3. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    The issue some of us are having here is not because the OP is asking about OC'ing, it's that he/she is OC'ing without even processing the basic knowledge about how to OC. If the OP does not understand that much, they are not properly prepared and do not need to be OC'ing. Yes, everyone has to start somewhere, but IMHO, the OP is not even at the starting point yet.

silkstone says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Well, most people use forums for more complex problems that Google can't solve or when they are not apt at filtering search results. If I were to post a thread asking how fast an i7 2600 was (because I want to upgrade to one), how would you reply? The issue regarding validity of questions is not black and white. I don't mind helping out personally with simple issues.

Sasqui says thanks.
  5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Hey, he's got the equipment, got up to 4.7Ghz with great temps. Apparently he didn't know about turbo mode, or even what question to ask.

We all have to start somewhere.

6. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I never attacked his posts. My first 2 posts were offering reasonable advice IMO. It wasn't until Marsey mentioned me that I felt the need to defend myself. (straw-man arguments always get me:( )

Oh, and I think it was speed-step that he didn't understand. It's outlined in the manual what it does. There is usually like 2-4 pages on advanced Bios features that I myself read and have to re-read when fiddling as I forget.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    Sasqui says thanks.
  7. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Hell, I didn't even recall what it was called, but I know what it does. Every platform is different, took me a few posts here for help in getting speedstep to work in the first place. Hidden BIOS settings for frequency controls was the answer.

8. Knoxx29

Knoxx29

Thanks Received:
    I agree with you, at 4.7 temps are great and of course that I will try to push the processor at 4.8 or 4.9
    I just have to do some set up to my water cooling, I feel really lucky because I got a good chip it's one of those that as I can see would give me a lot of fun, my volts are set to 1.30v and 4.7 it's stable I will increase to 1.35 and see what will happen!
    Later I will post some pics..

P.s
    The overclock that I have done to reach the 4.7 was done all by my self and without be asking around or maybe googling, it's all about what I have learned till today!!

9. Knoxx29

Knoxx29

Thanks Received:
    You're right and I agree with you, I wasn't asking about overclocking and I didn't ask because when I was doing it I knew what I was doing even if my -0 knowledge about overclocking wasn't enough I was sure I was going to get my 4.7 stable overclock, risk? Of course I knew I was risking to fry my 320€ Chip but wouldn't be a problem for me, but I knew that wouldn't happen because I was sure about the bios settings that I was doing, maximum that could happened was system doesn't reboot, or overclock failed!!

P.s
    Sometimes to risk cost more than 320€
    Joke:D

10. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I think mine is around 1.3v as well. I can do 4.8, but have to bump it to 1.4v. At 4.9, even 1.5v won't get me stable, I've hit the wall (runaway current and all that).

Well done, you've got 20% more from your CPU... for free!

Knoxx29 says thanks.
  11. Knoxx29

Knoxx29

Thanks Received:
    Of course I knew about turbo mode and I know that normally my chip it's 3.5 and can hit 3.9 with turbo boost,
    My question was maybe stupid, but it can happens, I am a novice about overclock everyday I just try to learn something new from who knows more than me and thanks to all of you guys who answered to my question!!!!

12. Knoxx29

Knoxx29

Thanks Received:
    In a couple of hours I will be back home so i will overclock once again,
    I will post my results later on if I don't fry my CPU:peace:

so i am back as i promised.

here are my results:

CPU - overclocked to 4.8
    volts are set to 1.40
    I took the screenshoot after 1 hour running prime95

conclusion:

after one hour stressing the CPU the overclock its still stable and haven't crash.

two screenshoot
    1 full load
    2 idle

CoreTemp full load test -Scr.png CoreTemp idle test-Scr.png

Sasqui says thanks.
  13. Knoxx29

Knoxx29

Thanks Received:
    here are some screenshoot after i overclocked once again this, time to 4.8 CoreTemp full load test -Scr.png CoreTemp idle test-Scr.png

14. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
  15. Knoxx29

Knoxx29

Thanks Received:
    prime

16. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Give intel burn test a quick go. It will give you a better Idea of how stable it is. You only need 10 runs and look at the temps. You might want to do a few more if you want to check long term stability. I find when gaming, my temps are closer to those from IBT than prime.

17. Knoxx29

Knoxx29

Thanks Received:
    right now i am running intel burn test and temps are ridiculous
    CoreTemp ibt-Scr.png

18. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Max of 86 isn't all that bad. In my experience they'll start throttling at around 90 C.

19. Knoxx29

Knoxx29

Thanks Received:
    After overclocked to 4.8 and temps are still great I can't complain about it, I could try to push the CPU a little
    Bit more but I think that's enough for the moment, after I did some upgrade to my water cooling
    ( tubing and water block ) temps were drastically lower, in my opinion first thing that i noticed help a lot to keep My temp so low is the CPU block, so I am sure my water cooling could handle a 5.0 overclock

20. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    OMG, that is awesome! TJMax is 105c (Thermal throttling), those temps are great.

Are you seriously at only 1.2v???

21. Knoxx29

Knoxx29

Thanks Received:
    well man as you can see here are the proves and they dont lie,

4.8 stable and great temps...:peace:

here one more screenshoot

4.9 stable too

CoreTemp 4.9-Scr.png

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  22. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    no thats his vid, the temps are pretty good but his min is 13*C on one core so it must be really damn cold ambient. My chip does similar low vid, 1.2 and some change around 4.8. I need a ton of core volts (1.38) to run 4.8 and my temps are not nearly as good (probably both due to air cooling, hotter needs more voltage, more voltage makes more heat, circular logic...), but his ambient must be extremely low.

Sasqui and Knoxx29 say thanks.
  23. Knoxx29

Knoxx29

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, that's what I was going to explain, volts are set to 1.4

Vario says thanks.
  24. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Thats very good for 1.4v. You should consider backing down to whatever clock speed runs at 1.3ish core volt at the most for long term though. Maybe even 1.25v long term. Short term you should be okay to keep pushing forward, I am curious if you can do 5.0ghz.

I think you will find that running more than 1.35v for the long term will require increasing amounts of core voltage to maintain the same clock rate over the next several months until your chip doesn't overclock well at all.

25. Knoxx29

Knoxx29

Thanks Received:
    i was curious too...
    here is the screenshoot

CoreTemp- 5.0Scr.png

Vario says thanks.