1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

weird problem...need help!!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nolifer112, Feb 1, 2010.

1. nolifer112

Thanks Received:
    so...the problem ocured when I turned on my pc today. Everything seemed fine, windows finished loading, but then BLACK SCREEN and no movement. When I turned on my speakers I could hear programs starting (skype). Right now Im using ASUS Express Gate to get advice from you guys :)

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not having video only in Windows means it's probablly a driver problem. During startup, hit F8 and boot into safemode. Uninstall your drivers, run driver sweeper, etc.

nolifer112 says thanks.
  3. nolifer112

Thanks Received:
    yeah, when I wrote this thread I thought of safemode coz it cant be caused by hardware when Im running Express Gate with no problems ;) ...good advice btw. sounds reasonable in theory, but lets see if it helps!

4. nolifer112

Thanks Received:
    unfortunately the problem isn\t over jet. In safe mode I uninstalled ati display drivers and finnaly got in to windows, but when I downloaded and installed newest drivers, restarted my pc...and then it started loading win xp, but after that black screen again.

Options...
    1.my computer saves ccc settings that new installation uses. for example my display outputs are swapped maybe...
    2.broken videocard...

5. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Uninstall ATI drivers
    Run drivercleaner, driversweeper or whatever to get all the schmuck off
    Reinstall drivers

6. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    Do you have connected anything else besides the monitor ? It is possible that when the driver load the display output is transfered to second display port.

7. nolifer112

Thanks Received:
    no...only one display connected and I tried both DVIs...same thing with both of them!

8. Indra EMC

Indra EMC

Thanks Received:
    Your Videocard wasn't broken, it's because you can still using Express Gate from your Post Screen (If your VGA are broken, it will not even post)

Try to use Safe Mode first, or using "Enable 640 x 480 Resolution" option.

if that's doesn't work, try to safe mode, uninstall your Videocard driver, try to boot normally and install latest driver for your videocard.

9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i've seen this problem before.

For whatever reason, the drivers are defaulting to a refresh rate the monitor cant handle.

10. nolifer112

Thanks Received:
    so I removed ATI display driver in safemode, then entered windows normally. I could see my desktop alltough the resolutin was too small (witch is because I had no driver, right). Then used driver cleaner to get rid of all ATI drivers,logfiles etc. Installed latest drivers again and after rebooting it did the same thing again. Could it be somekind of virus that takes control over display driver.

11. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    You could try Mussels' hunch: with the drivers installed, go to safe mode and check the settings in CCC. Adjust anything that looks weird, especially refresh rates and stuff.

12. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    If the above doesnt work I suggest you save your documents and stuff to a different drive, and re-install the OS. If possible with Win 7.

13. nolifer112

Thanks Received:
    in my experience you cant start catalyst control center in safe mode, so there is no way to change the refresh rate.

14. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you can change it through windows settings, and it tends to stick when you reboot.

15. nolifer112

Thanks Received:
    so far none of the above has worked, so I was thinking of installing xp and leaving my filesystem. That way I can copy my files to external hdd and afterwards I\ll maybe even get myself win7.:)

16. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    You can copy your files to an external hdd in safe mode now, and format the drive and do a clean install.

nolifer112 says thanks.
  17. nolifer112

Thanks Received:
    didn\t think of that..thanks. saves me some time .

18. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Glad i can help.:toast: