1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

weird problems with my mobo

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by shoe16, Jul 17, 2007.

1. shoe16

shoe16 New Member

Thanks Received:
    first off here are the specs

pentium d 820
    intel brand mobo not sure what model
    2x512 pny ddr2
    crappy 300 watt psu (using a 20 pin on a 24 pin mobo

ok so first thing that happened i was testing it on my lap trying to see what was causing such high temps. worked fine. then i went to turn it on with a screwdriver which i had previously been doing. turn it on and i see a little bit of smoke which seemed to have some from a fan power connector on the mobo. it still booted and i went into the bios and everything. then i reset it and no video. so i removed the ram and vid card to see if i get bios beeps and i get nothing so i figured mobo was dead. went to work came back and decided to test it again. booted up and got video. again i decided to restart and what do you know no video. when i plug in the power cable to the power supply it turns on for like half a second then shuts off. i dont even use the power switch it just turns on right when i plug it in. i just started to notice somewhat of a high pitch ticking noise when i plug in the power supply while it is plugged into the mobo even when the comp is off. any ideas of what the hell is going on and what part i have to most likely replace?
  2. quickie New Member

Thanks Received:
    i'm pretty sure the smoke that came from the motherboard wasn't a good sign.

i wouldn't use that psu to power your system anymore. it's a disaster waiting to happen.

you can check if your psu is working by doing the following:
    1. turn off the comp, flip the "off" switch on the psu itself.
    2. unplug the psu from everything (including motherboard, hard drive, external power plug ...)
    3. take a paper clip and connect the green line from the 20-pin psu mobo connecter to any black line on the same 20-pin mobo connecter.
    4. now, on the psu, switch the power back on

if psu fan is running, then most likely, the psu is still working.

but again, i wouldn't use that psu with your setup.

I'd get another PSU, one from a recongized company (Enermax, Antec, OCZ are just a few that come to mind). However, your motherboard may already be dead.
    shoe16 says thanks.
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The smoke probablly didn't even come from the fan connector. That PSU is junk, and I would seriously consider replacing the motherboard.
  4. shoe16

shoe16 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats where it seemed to come from although the cnos jumper is right next to it. but why would it boot again and work fine if the mobo fired.
  5. shoe16

shoe16 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yup th epsu is dead. did that and nothing happened
  6. quickie New Member

Thanks Received:
    seeing that the PSU is dead, the question becomes did the PSU take anything with it to pc heaven :ohwell:

do you hav any extra PSUs around? one that is obviously better than the one you just had.
  7. shoe16

shoe16 New Member

Thanks Received:
    nope. only other one i have kicking around is a 200 watt psu. trying not to spend too much money on this system because it is for my friend. eh hope the motherboard didnt die with it
  8. quickie New Member

Thanks Received:
    normally, i'd suggest you connect a fan or rom drive to the motherboard and power it up. that would determine if the motherboard would be able to post or not.

but since you say the psu is dead.

don't try this yet ... hopefully someone can comment on the following:
    what if you were to connect the 200W powersupply to the motherboard (nothing else connected). Essentially, the powersupply would only be powering the CPU and motherboard. You would know if the motherboard was working when you here the "beep" telling you theres no vid/mem etc, also the CPU fan is turning.
    problem is, i'm not totally convinced 200W can handle the P-d 820 and motherboard. By doing this, it could really kill the motherboard.
    Does anyone know if this is possible?