1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Weird router problem!

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by JoeyF1985, Mar 17, 2014.

1. JoeyF1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so here's the thing. I've just moved house and sky told me my internet would be active the 28th of this month, fine I'll make do without. So i've moved into my place and I plug my stuff in. Here's my setup.

Skybroadband router wired into - Sony Bravia TV, Playstation 4, Desktop PC, Sky HD box
    Connected Wirelessly - PC laptop, Iphone, Ipad

So on friday morning right before they disconnected me everything worked perfectly.

3 days later i've moved into my new house, Plugged everything in, I know my internet isn't going to be working for another 2 weeks but thats fine. Until I notice that my internet IS working WOOHOO sky must have connected me earlier than they had said.

However, here's the problem, only the wireless stuff works, everything that uses an Ethernet cable doesn't which is strange, so I test out the WiFi connections on the TV, PS4 desktop pc, and the internet works fine.

I can't really get my head around why the router would stop letting me use ethernet cables?

Any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  2. Black.Raven

Black.Raven

Thanks Received:
    Maybe the lan ports are disabled, not working or something.

You didnt use static ip's at your old house?

Press start > search for cmd > rightclick > run as administrator > then type ipconfig.

Then the ip address afther Default gateway is your router's ip address.

paste that into your browser, and you can explore your router settings.

Probably the provider has set a password, but you could try fiil in "admin" for both the username and password.

Then again, are you sure sky is connected right now, and not the provider from the last owner of the house?

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    must be picking up someone elses wifi. wouldant make any sens the ethernet ports not working and wifi is its always the other way around

remixedcat says thanks.