1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Weird situation

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by mariusxd, Apr 20, 2014.

1. mariusxd New Member

Thanks Received:
    For 2 years now I've been using a router to share the connection to both my laptop and PC(an intermediar cable from the router to the pc). Last week i tried to connect the internet cable from my ISP directly to my PC because I can't stream with the reduced speed (router cuts the speed in half or something) and I had a little surprise: the internet port on the back of my pc wouldn't blink,the connection not being recognised.I called from the tech suport from my ISP and they didn't know how to solve the problem either(they tried pinging the connection, tried other cables,etc).
    The weird thing is that 2 yeears ago when i bought the pc I tested the direct connection and it worked just fine. So now I can have internet only with a cable pluged from the router to my PC.(windows7 btw)

2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Check your adapter settings, ensure you're not set to specific IP settings..I am assuming you mean from ISP is from the modem? Ensure your IPv4 for your network adapter is set to auto iirc...though that could be backwards and need settings as well.

I am not sure why you'd need to connect your PC directly...the router shouldn't cause that much issue especially with a 100 or even 1000Mb connection from the router to PC, unless you have aggressive filtering/firewall going on. What kind of router do you have? Have you tried resetting it? Updating its firmware?

Are you using a crossover cable from your router to your PC? I don't think that would work...but I do know some NIC's can resolve that and I think most router's internal switches do as well...iirc. Have you tried a different cable?

3. n0tiert

n0tiert

Thanks Received:
    also might check if autonegotiation is enbled on Ethernet adapter so its has correct link speed between pc adapter and ISP connection,

usually there are 2 leds on the pc adapter

one indicates "link" status, 2nd indicates "traffic" status (blink)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  4. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Replace the Ethernet Cable they are cheap, Check in hardware settings to see if you might of accidently disabled the ethernet port on your motherboard

5. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Please specify the router you use so we can assist you further. Thank you.

6. mariusxd New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

altough i don't think it has something to to with the router. basicaly if I directly connect the internet cable to the pc these 2 leds won't light up.

7. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Just cycle the power on and off on both the modem and PC alternatly. Eventually it will connect

8. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    have you tried resetting it too?

9. mariusxd New Member

Thanks Received:
    1. Is this a wired or wireless connection issue?
    wired

2. Who is your Internet Service Provider (ISP)?
    Romania : RCS-RDS

3. What type of Broadband connection are you using?
    Cable (Fiberlink)

4. What is the exact Make and Model of your Modem, Router or Modem/Router Combo -
    Dlink DI524
    5. What is the Name of the Anti-Virus, Security or Firewall Software installed from the problematic computer -
    actualy i didnt have any antivirus installed. i did install one a few days ago but the problem was not solved with a clean up. (i installed malwarebytes antymalware and eset smart security 7).

http://i.imgur.com/opVurjv.png
    http://i.imgur.com/ecIYK6S.png
    http://i.imgur.com/4XJD1Tm.png
    http://i.imgur.com/cL9QreW.png
    http://i.imgur.com/EgbxL39.png

if anyone has anymore ideas, here are more details. thank you for your time.

Attached Files:

10. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Your router is pretty old, also that model was a POS, I had one and its range was crap, im on a Netgear WPN824 that was originally created in 2005, had it since 2007 and works fine for what I need it for (Phones/Laptops)

11. Seany1212

Seany1212

Thanks Received:
    First I want to clear a few things up, if you're having problems with streaming on your PC unless you've got 100mpbs+ fiber connection to your house your router, unless malfunctioning, isn't going to be the bottleneck.

Check the connection between this router (D-Link) and your cable modem coming into your house, also disable IPv6 in order to troubleshoot, it seems like IPv4 has connected to the internet based on your screenshots but maybe IPv6 is trying to take priority and so is not working.