1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

weird x800 power supply problem

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by AT-2500, Apr 23, 2007.

1. AT-2500 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi. i have big problems with my video card, its a sapphire x800 gto agp with 16pp (original cooler)

sometimes, if i go into 3d mode (for example by starting a game) , the monitor freezes, then turns black and goes to idle.

if I then dont plug in the extra power connector, the computer doesnt complain "you didnt connect your..." but just keeps fans running and shows a black screen.

and here is something REALLY weird: can anyone explain it to me?
    [​IMG]

2. Kammster New Member

Thanks Received:
    sounds like a overheating problem
    90 deg is shut down temp on mine

u must plug in extra power connector
    min: 400watt generic

3. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    whats up with the pic you attached? I don't see anything jumping out at me (besides it not being plugged into the PSU, and it also looks like it can go another 1/4" into the connector.)

If the card is 'old' (year) or in a 'dusty' room, check to ensure the heatsink fins are not blocked by dust.

Right at about the 9 month mark, two PC's I built for my friends had similar problems and it was because dust had built up between the fins, not letting air flow properly.

You usually have to remove the card and spray 'canned air' into the heatsink and it will most likely blow out a bunch of little dust bunnies.

Hope this helps

'Ocre

4. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    the power is unplugged ... what are your system specs

5. AT-2500 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i already thought about that. 52° GPU temp after 3 hours full load should be ok, shouldnt it?
    it is no oc problem either because it doesnt matter wether the card is ocs or not.:shadedshu

yeah, i know that. but that fan is running although it is NOT connected to the PSU. scary.:eek:

was my first thought, but i tried a 520W PSU, and it didnt change.

I already tried that.

what do you mean?

my system specs:
    AMD Athlon XP 1700+ @2,0Ghz (its not because of that - i tested a xp 2000+, to)
    1Gb Infineon RAM
    Asus A7N8x Deluxe
    Sapphire X800 GTO AGP
    350W no-name-because-noone-would-like-his-name-on-it PSU

6. Kammster New Member

Thanks Received:
    i had a 400 generic on my gto for 6 months it still seems to work on my spare box, but my sister played sims2 and it kept locking up and the monitor goes idle if i leave it.
    the mobo may be adding to the problem but replaced the psu with a 500 generic temporially solved my problem.

use atitools artifact scanner for atleast 20 mins to see if the card itself is crashing.

if games only crash then check your drivers (cat 6.2 i use only..cat5.4 works also)
    also hardrive corruption can crash your games check the SMART on the drive

7. AT-2500 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i tried for some days and figured out that the power connector in the hot air stream of the grafic cards cooler got very hot. taking it out of the stream fixed the problem.

thanks for help. :)