1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Weirdest POST problem ever ?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Yukikaze, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Alrighty. I have an old, old Tualatin Celeron system (In an ancient, ancient Compaq Deskpro case) that I put together for my parent's house bomb-shelter (I live in southern Israel, well in range of our friendly neighbours' rockets, so the ability to have internet access in said shelter is somewhat important). Now, I seem to have the most annoying POST problems with it, every time the computer is powered up, it fails to POST. If you power it down and power it back up again, then it still fails to POST. But, if you power it up, then hit the reset button, it POSTs like a charm and works perfectly. Now, this workaround is sufficient, since the computer is not in everyday use, but I don't have the slightest idea why the problem occurs in the first place.

Specs, if they help:
    CPU: Intel Celeron (Tualatin) 1.4Ghz
    PSU: Compaq 180W P3
    HDD: Western Digital 10Gb
    GPU: HD2400Pro AGP
    DVD: Some LG IDE DVD drive.
    Addon Cards: Yamaha DS1 Sound Card, Broadcom 100Mbit Ethernet Card, Via PCI SATA&IDE controller (Same problem occurs with any combination of addon cards).
    Motherboard: CPU-Z calls it "VT82C694X", the chipset is the Apollo Pro and the SB is the VT82C686.

I replaced the CMOS battery with a new one, and it still keeps doing the same thing. Any ideas ?
  2. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    My first reaction would be to check inside and give everything a good clean, and then into the PSU.
    Does it sometimes powerdown all by itself? As again this can indicate towards the PSU dying out.
    Also another thing to consider is the RAM, have you ran Memtest86 on them yet?
  3. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    I mem-tested, I stress-tested and I even tried another PSU. I washed the case clean before I put it together (dried it out, obviously, too). I am about to give up since it really isn't worth the hassle. It does what it's supposed to, but I've never seen something this weird before.
  4. mc-dexter

mc-dexter New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd say flash the bios :)