1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

well I think my motherboard died can anyone confirm?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by philbrown23, Dec 25, 2007.

1. philbrown23

philbrown23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well I was setting up my sli cards and my pc starts acting funnny, like random restarts, lagging, not reading both cards. well I installed the new drivers then all the sudden it would not go into windows. So I reset my cmos and then all of the sudden it would not produce video at all. so my mobo has an indicator when it is readin my video card, and in slot one nothing, slot 2 redlight but won't produce video, tried both cards nothing, tried unplugging things down to the bare minimum, nothing. Am I right to assume my motherboard is dead?? I know that at least my first pci-e slot is dead(no red light stating there is a card in it) and without that I cannot have any video feed. please any thoughts/help/suggestions would be excellent.
    :nutkick:
  2. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Try a PCI graphics card, just something plain, not PCI-E. Try just one ram stick, then cycle the ram to make sure you don't have a bad stick.
    philbrown23 says thanks.
  3. philbrown23

philbrown23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    the thing is I don't have a pci video card :( I have another pc and the ram all works fine with that one. I think I might buy another motherboard because I have a chance to buy a dfi motherboard for 60 bucks from a guy on a different forum that I frequent.
  4. Pandaz3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It could be any component, like a drive going bad. Can you swap video with your other computer? borrow a video card (even another PCI=E) ? DFI boards are god once set up, but they can be a bear getting set up.
  5. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    How are you powering the system?

Make sure you have sufficient power to run both the cards. Insufficient power can adversely affect overall stability. Calculate the wattage of your system on a component basis. Compare this to that which your PSU can provide /efficiency. Efficiency of most PSUs are <70% sustained and 90% burst. So a 800W PSU isn't really what it's labelled as.
  6. philbrown23

philbrown23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I used the power supply calculater that this site has a link to and it said I only needed 430W. both 12v rails are rated @ 20 A. I tried it with one card and it still didn't work. both cards get power, my mobo just won't read the first pci-e slot and without that the mobo is worthless.
  7. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Thats PC for ya.:(
  8. philbrown23

philbrown23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah just bought a dfi lanparty sli dr so hopefully everything will go over without to big of a hitch.:rockout:
  9. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Good luck with new Mobo.
  10. philbrown23

philbrown23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah I was checking out the beep codes for my motherboard (asus A8n sli deluxe) and it doesn't beep at all, wich means 1 of 4 things....1-the mobo is partially dead,2-the cpu is dead (oh god I hope not, but I do have a spare and a long warranty), 3- ram (tested still works), 4-the video card both still work on my buddies system.
  11. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    one question.... did you take the mb off the case and reinstalled it?
    I´m only asking because it has been observed that sometimes the circuit shorts and breaks when the motherboard is not insulated with the base it stands on.
    I used to have the same problem with an Asus p5n32 sli :banghead: and after unpluging and pluging everything :cry:, I finally took the MB off the case, insulated the holes used to screw it on the case and it worked :eek: !!!

Anyway good luck with new mobo.