1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

went to a lanparty and...

Discussion in 'Games' started by LittleLizard, Sep 13, 2009.

1. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, yesterday i went to the biggest lanparty of the year with about 200 machines (may sound a bit lacking but hey, is a small country) and HOLY SHIT. I have never seen so much lcd and leds in my life. Almost every computer had blue leds, 2 had red leds and 1 green cathodes.

All sorts of hardware, watercooling, even a mountain mods which for being in latin america is very weird.

I gave a show on grid to some other people on a 42 Samsung lcd and most people were :O (yes im good, thx).

I saw a Cm V10 and i was :wtf:. IS BIG. Then i played with some friends to the 360 resident evil 5 and gears of war 2 for free.

Also there was an oc test for ocing a i7 965 on a rampage 2 gene with a TT isgc 400 and one stick of patriot viper. and the winner got an asus 4850 top. Also the winner settled a new national record but i dont remember how much it was (too busy playing resident evil).

So, what do you think
  2. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't sound too bad really. Never been to a "big" lan though.
    Sounds like a pretty cool time.
  3. <<Onafets>>

<<Onafets>>

Thanks Received:
    I've never been to a lan...prolly due to te fact that I'm 12 and my case weighs 30kg.
  4. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    i'd like to see and go to a lan party but there's no such thing locally for me lol
  5. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    LOL, 200 people at the same lan party is a very big event, Just imagine all the work involved setting it up.

Its pretty cool to see them in other countries as well, I bet it was really fun seeing all those other comps up close.
    (picts are better than nothing but in person is much better)
  6. rampage

Thanks Received:
    wait and see if mussles see's this thread, he regularly goes to 400+ lans in melbourne
  7. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    I went to a couple of 500 man lans in Oregon and I heard there are 2000+ people lans as well. (to me thats insane)
    But 200 is a LOT of people in 1 place.

I have a bunch of small ones at my house usually 4 to 7 people, once I had almost 30 and I was so overwhelmed (and they did all the work):laugh:

It would be cool to have a Lan Party thread here at TPU. (could replace the "Contests" one that is unused)
    (to announce new events and for people to show picts of lans they attended)
  8. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    for me that sounds great. Also i didnt mention its a full 3 days from 11:50 pm of this friday to 11:50 pm of today, sunday.

Also another funny thing it was that it was a computer (i7 965, ecs x58, 2 gts 250 sli) for playing with dual monitors and when i wanted to show myself on grid on that pc it hanged :(.

So i had to play in another pc (only know the case was a 1200) on a 42 led samsung tv :D.

Also there was a wii and when we were going to play super smash brother brawl, guess what, the wiimotes battery was dead :mad:
  9. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    I think for younger guys the 3 day thing is the fun part, no more Mom or Dad saying "get off the computer and do your chores"

One of the best parts is being with so many people at one time that enjoy the same thing.

I remember seeing comps with Sempron/Celeron CPUs and 3 year old GPUs having just as much fun as the guys that had Phase cooling and insane GPUs in their comps.
    (I remember one guy that had 20TB of storage)
  10. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    i have plenty of fun lanning right now with a AMD+ATi netbook plays most games half decently surprisingly enough
  11. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Sounds awesome.:)
  12. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    that would save a bunch of time/energy lugging equipment from your car to the event and back.:laugh:
  13. SNiiPE_DoGG New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive been to only one LAN that was supposed to be 400 ppl.... I had an alright time, but seriously that event was the largest collection of the weirdest people I have ever seen in my life. It was kinda freaking me out because I am a normal guy by pretty much all standards, not a geek
  14. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    you have water cooling, a ssd, a custom lian li and you say you are not a geek... :shadedshu

EDIT: And you also have a high end crossfire setup oced. Trust me, you are a geek.
  15. lemode New Member

Thanks Received:
    I’m not a geek, I just wear a pocket protector a lot.
  16. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    I also remember a guy who had an old dell with a joystick and was playing mortal combat 4
  17. Th0rn0

Th0rn0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've done lans from 3 to 300 people. I've hosted or joint admin'd lans of that size too.

Lanning is part of life for me now. Fucking love it. I dont like the big tournament ones Like the I series, I like fun lans like Epic.Lan and my local Lan. I dont host them atm as I dont have the time or money espically with Uni. But I have the equipment to do so :)

But one of the lans I attend there were people with nas drives with stupid amounts of storage on. 100 man lan and there was 40TB of warez. Thats alot.

As for been 'Normal'. I have attended lans with people that I think are a little... Weird. But I like to go and socialize with fellow gamers. Some people dont like to socialize and I have had people literally tell me to fuck off even though I was just watching. This is why I dont like Bigger lans, you get more pricks. 40 Man is the magic number for me :)
  18. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    I think I was spoiled by PDXLAN, even with 500 people they were very close and it was an amazing experience.
  19. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone near to NE Missouri and willing to do a LAN Party? :cool:
  20. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    im in NW mo. take 36 west and you'll be here in a jiff.

i know tons of ppl in KC that would come.
  21. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    TOO MANY BLUE LED PC's!!! thats why mine is red now hehe, next one is probably gonna be just white, cool story though I wish I could go to a huge lan party but I dont wanna go by myself
  22. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its good that you 2 are close and a shame to me because im separated from the normal world (thousands of miles from us) :cry:
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  23. Th0rn0

Th0rn0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think all TPU should attend Dreamhack :)

Thats the biggest lan in the world.
  24. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not even aware of any LAN parties in my area. Not sure if there are any.
  25. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Where it is?

Its florida BUT is in US. It must be some lan at some time of the year, probably during winter when there are not hot chicks walking with short clothes on the street