1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Western Digital Anoyance

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Lazzer408, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Please take a look at the following pics. These drives are all Western Digital 250gb SATA300 drives. Model WD2500KSRTL. 16mb 7200rpm.

Please note the 2 differences:

1. Color of the enclosure cover different.
    2. Spindle motor differences

The "silver cover" drives have 2 different motors being used. The "black cover drive" uses the copper colored motor only.

Question:

Should a company manufacture a product with the same model number in which there are 3 different variations? What other internal or electronic differences may be unscene? How do they co-opperate in a RAID configuration?

Personally I like all the wheels on my car to match. I like the lugnuts on the wheels to match. I like all 4 doors to be the same color. I like all the screws that hold in my cdrom to match. I like my videocards to match. I like ddr-2 in matched pairs. I expect my quarter pounder to taste the same as it did at the McDonalds 1000miles from here and what do you know, it does. ect ect ect. Why should I have to test each of these drives to see which is better? Now I have to wonder if this is a screwup. Could one (or more) of these drives be 8mb cache? SATA 150? I have to doubt this whole company now.

Another note: The "black cover" drive is louder and hotter then the "silver cover" drives. The copper colored spindle motor is hotter on a "silver drive" then it is on a "silver drive" with the chrome motor cap but all "silver cover" drives are equal in read/write noise but the "copper cap" motor makes a louder whine. Also the "black cover" drive vibrates in my hand. That will trash the spindle bearing sooner.

I KNEW I shouldn't have bought WD. I had given up on them years ago and switched to Seagate but the cost was right and the noise level is less then my Seagates.

Attached Files:

2. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Since they have the same firmware RAID will work. I personally don't like seagates as every seagate I have had has failed around the end-of-warranty period. I have my WD and it just keeps working and working. I like the black covers though LOL

3. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Youre not going to buy another WD again because of the color....

Yes drives do vary even with the same model number. Ive got two seagate 160gb's, identical drives that both died a few months apart. RMA'd and replaced with two other drives with same model number that look a bit different and are louder.

4. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    No not -just- because of the color but not having physically matching drives in a system with 6 drives makes them harder to identify. The ones with the copper colored spindle motor run hotter. Also differences in noise levels. I just like things to match.