1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Western Digital Designs First Hard Drives For SOHO NAS Systems

Discussion in 'News' started by Cristian_25H, Jul 10, 2012.

1. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    might grab this for my WHS11 :D got nothing but good experience with WD
  2. 1c3d0g

1c3d0g

Thanks Received:
    Jizzler says thanks.
  3. Solidstate89

Solidstate89

Thanks Received:
    What perfect timing. I'm in the market for a Synology DS1512+ and my only options for 3TB HDDs were either consumer-oriented drives with 1 year warranties and no TLER or stabilization support. Or to spend upwards of 400 dollars for Enterprise drives.

These slot in quite nicely and they have all the features necessary for a media-centric NAS that utilizes RAID.
  4. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    I have a strong preference for Western Digital drives but switched to Samsung when I needed 5400rpm that's 'raid capable'.

It'll be nice to switch back to WD as I didn't want to move to Seagate (I have an irrational and unfounded dislike of Seagate).
  5. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Which is why we will use SSD's for OS/programs and HDD's for storage. That one of them improves doesn't mean the other won't.
  6. The Jedi

The Jedi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Before the flood drives were like $63, or on sale for $50/$60 sometimes shipped. WD 1TB Black drives were $90. USA prices.

My gripe with Hitachi is that if you need to scan a drive to repair bad sectors their DFT software takes twice as long as with other brands. So that's twice the down time - at least with my experience several years back. Hopefully they fixed that. Backblaze would not likely be using regular consumer drives. They'd use their enterprise tier in order to do RAID.
  7. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Naw, just some 1.5TB Barracudas for their first gen pods and 3TB Deskstars for second gen. For what they're doing and the scale they're doing it at, standard drives work out better.

http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/

http://blog.backblaze.com/2011/07/20/petabytes-on-a-budget-v2-0revealing-more-secrets/
    The Jedi says thanks.