1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Western Digital Green Drives

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Techtu, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    I'm a going to the store tomorrow to pick up a new HDD, and it will only ever be used as storage drive, but will be used regularly for accessing (mainly) music, and also video's + photo's, that kind of thing.

So I know the Green edition of the WD range use a slower drive than even my current storage drive, is this an issue, or should it be? I'm really just wanting to know the differences between the WD green drives, let's say Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB vs Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB

Both are one's I'm considering.

2. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Speed doesn't matter much for storage drives. If your OS isn't on it, it could be hamster wheel powered and you'd be okay.

3. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    So I shouldn't see any difference whatsoever as long as they are used for what they're designed for (storage)?

4. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Techtu says thanks.
  5. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    I did already, but I can't afford it right now and I need the the Samsung drive out my current rig for another rig, so will be using my 500Gb as my main OS drive ... (never used it for anything more than storage so I'm hoping I won't run into any problems with that, not that I should).

6. mpetro New Member

Thanks Received:
    It don't matter really since it will be 4 storage only... but the Samsung Spinpoint F3 is the faster drive...

7. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    These green drives may be "slow", but that depends on how you compare them.

I bought a Green Power 1.5T drive quite some time ago (when 2T was still expensive) for data backups. Just for giggles, I installed Windows 7 on it, to see just how bad it was as a boot drive. And you know what? It wasn't bad at all. The OS didn't feel slow and it booted up quite quickly.

The reason is the high platter density making the data rate, at least near the outside edge, quite fast. The head access of course remains slower. Obviously if you compare it to something like a Caviar Black it's a lot slower, but it still wouldn't feel all that obvious without comparative benching.

So no, don't worry about the performance, especially for your data only use. Enjoy. :toast:

8. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Figures :toast:

Here's is 2 graphs showing my OS drive and my storage drive...

OS Maxtor STM3500 (500Gb 7900rpm)
    [​IMG]

Storage Western Diginal Green (1Tb 5600rpm)
    [​IMG]

The graphs speaks for themselfs.