1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Western Digital to Stop Shipping PATA Hard Drives

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Behemot

Behemot New Member

Thanks Received:
    This. There is way too many UATA enclosures which are useless just because the lack of proper-sized UATA drives.
  2. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    About time
  3. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    PS/2, VGA, USB, LPT, COM...even though the last one is still useful.

Oh! And ATX (motherboards, not PSUs) too, since µATX and ITX are viable now.

Ethernet will stick around for at least another decade...
  4. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    You're definitely on the wrong track here. ATX motherboards still have a place in the market for people like me who need the expansion slots. However, ATX power supplies need a popular, smaller form factor alternative.

It's ridiculous that you can't build a SFF PC without either:

(1) having to give the case unnecessary bulk to accommodate an ATX power supply

OR

(2) needing to use a proprietary power supply that comes with the case you want and is of questionable reliability with no ability to replace it with a power supply you actually want.

SFX and TFX power supplies do exist, but they're used in very few cases, and it's impossible to source one from a name brand supplier.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  5. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    But fewer and fewer consumers need those expansion slots, because most of what's on board is already enough. OEMs ship almost exclusively µATX boards.
    And I'm saying this while being on the same boat, my board is also ATX and I still find use for the slots.