1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Western Digital Updates Raptor Series

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, May 27, 2006.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Western Digital silently updated two of its first Raptor series drives: the 36GB WD360ADFD and 74GB WD740ADFD 10,000RPM models. Both hard drives now have 16MB buffer size, Native Command Queuing, increased 'Buffer To Disk' transfer rates of 84MB/sec up from the previous models' 72MB/sec as well as lower overall average seek times. The updated 36GB and 74GB Raptor models are also 3 dBA quieter in the idle state. However, both drives still carry a SATA 150 MB/s interface. These updated models are not available yet, but retailers should start to sell them within the next few days.

Source: DailyTech

2. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I really want four of those in RAID 0...

3. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    They're awesome disks & have been since their introduction, imo & experience w/ them, which has been since generation #1 (36gb & 74gb 10k rpm 8mb buffered units).

I just picked up (around 1-2 months ago) the 150gb units w/ 16mb buffers on them (2 of them in RAID 0 via a Promise EX8350 128mb Caching Controller w/ Intel Super I-O cpu on them to offload the system CPU from disk mgt. tasks)... & these?

They REALLY fly!

They show on tests as outpacing my older generation #1 units by a GOOD margin on benchmark tests I have run here.

Probably partially @ least, due to the caching SATA2 controller (which sits in an x4 PCI-Express slot on the ASUS A8N-Premium mobo I have here) & probably partially due to the larger buffers on them vs. generation #1 "raptors"...

* Anyhow/anyways - I am waiting to see the performance numbers on these new ones, & usually sites like:

http://www.storagereview.com

Have early numbers on them, because they quite often get the "engineering samples" sent their way...

:)

APK

P.S.=> IMO & experience with them? I found that having them in ALL of my systems (2), I don't "feel bad" about it... they all fly, even the older gen #1 units! apk

Last edited: May 29, 2006