1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Western Digital VelociRaptor 600GB SATA III

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by stinger608, Apr 12, 2010.

1. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    RaPiDo987 and Soylent Joe say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 10 Million points folded for TPU
  2. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I almost bout 2 of them for Raid 0. In raid, they will most likely be as fast as some of the slower SSD's, with a much larger capacity.

3. HighEndToys

Thanks Received:
    I tested one and liked it but found that it is a long ways away from SSD like performance. In a few weeks I will have another one for RAID testing, woot woot!

4. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Ok, lets say it gets 150MB/s and SSDs get 250MB/s. I'd still rather have this over 600GB of SSD... Think how much that'll cost.

Hopefully this will either drop the prices on the 300GB VR's or maybe they'll release some 150GB SATA3 models for us without unlimited money. lol.

Still far better price/performance/size than SSDs.

5. HighEndToys

Thanks Received:
    It is not about MB/s. It is about access time. With an SSD you can turn OFF Indexing and your search will still be faster than any platter drive with Indexing on, even the 15K.7.

As for price, well that kind of performance is priceless :)

6. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    ouch i sure hope they make a cheap 150gb version, i have a 500gb black and well i still have 414gb left with all my stuff on it, i really don't need space

7. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My worry with SSD's is long term reliability. Can I count on an SSD to last 5 years like these VR's? From what I'm hearing, probably not. That's why I hesitate buying more SSD's until that question gets answered and prices go down.

8. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Ok, put it this way. I know people talk about "Oh, the difference is amazing", but i use my PC for fairly heavy gaming and everything else. My ONE WD AALS is more than enough for me. That's with it's 'slow' 14.5ms access. These Raptors will get like 6ms. Your telling me that that difference isn't going to be enough for the common user?

As it stands, SSD's are way to expensive for what they are. The only time they can sniff value is when people do refubs (like the topic i made) and it was 1GB/$1. Still, that's abit OTT.

To me, these raptors are FAR more interesting and desirable than SSDs. I'd much rather have 600GB of space for £180, than 64GB/80GB of space for £180.

9. HighEndToys

Thanks Received:
    All you have to do is read the stuff I write to know that I am right there with you on the small shit. I have 16GB left right now on a Crucial C300 256GB drive, time to dump shit to the NAS server again. I pretty much only use my notebook now days even though I have full systems stacked on top of each other and 4 hooked up ready to play any game on the market (my kids play much more than I do now days).

As for long term usage, they are fine. I am still running endless loops on a drive that I have been beating the hell out of for the last 3 months and she system has been solid this entire time, no SSD failure in this 24/7 "murder rig".

Of the 60 or so SSDs I have tested I have only saw three go bad. The first came to me working but would not run HD Tune with full accuracy on. I considered it DOA but most end users would never know. The second really pissed me off because it was just migrated into my notebook two days before and I didn't have any of the stuff backed up, lost about a months worth of work. This was actually a preproduction drive and I knew better. There was a fubar in the firmware. The last failure was also a preproduction drive that every reviewer managed to kill, also a firmware fubar.

If you want really good performance and a really low price for an SSD keep an eye on what the SandForce SF-1200's do to the cost of the Indilinx Barefoot ECO drives like the Corsair Nova, G.Skill Falcon II and the others that will soon follow. Before too long you should be able to pick up 128GB drives for a hair under 300.

Use the SSD for your OS and most used apps, then install your other stuff on drive D. Use drive E for storage or get a NAS / old computer to make a file server.

If you think SSDs are not the shit then all I can say is ignorance is bliss. I can't go back to a platter drive without pulling my F-ing hair out. Even the fastest platter drives "feel" slow. Forget benchmarks, MB/s, a number on the damn screen, it is about the feel of the system, how does it react to your commands. Is it like I Dream of Jeanie fast or Bertha on her way to get the toe nail clippers slow.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/32...iraptor_600gb_sata_6g_hard_drive/index11.html

Gotta get some sleep. I have been up for two days working the keyboard.