1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

wet ducky shine

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Cotton_Cup, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    hey guys just woke up an hour ago to see a baby bottle without it's water inside near my keyboard and my keyboard wet.

(I left it switched on running benchmark)

I removed the mini usb connector that is connected to the keyboard and removed all the keys it has so I can dry it off.

I just finished a few min ago. Do you guys think this is the most avid solution?

or it's just broken.

note: I tried typing something with it but after a few letters I can't type any more.
    I do remember seeing the scroll lock, capslock and one other key that is lit up.

of course after that I started removing the caps to dry off.

I'll most likely wait half a day to dry it off. what do you guys think?

(currently using the On-Screen Keyboard)
  2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Dry it for a few days first, stick it in your sack of rice if missus doesn't mind.
    Cotton_Cup says thanks.
  3. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you are in any way mechanically inclined, I would completely tear down the keyboard into its components. From what you describe, there was still moisture in the keyboard, and it quite possibly shorted out. This is also why I say it might be best to pull it apart so you can visually inspect the PCB for any damages;)
    Cotton_Cup says thanks.
  4. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    HI thank you fr the reply (sorry if I respond slow it's hard to click here and there using osk)

it has 2 screws at the back but I'm having trouble opening it. it seems tight or really nicely built.

I can put it in a barrel of rice (we use a barrel @ home)
  5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Leave it in the rice for a couple days it should do the trick.
    I hear Ducky has a nice and tight latching system around the edges, can be a real pain to get apart.
    Cotton_Cup says thanks.
  6. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    Thank you guys for the information.

I'll put it in the barrel right now. and yes I did notice it been 5 min and still can't open it lol. I'll just put the screws back in and put it in the rice barrel.
  7. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    Hi just an update, after burrying my keyboard on the rice should have been 24 hours already. I manage to remove most of the rice but whenever I shake my keyboard I still hear some rice sound.

is it still safe to plug in the usb connector to the keyboard and test it out????

edit: or should I put it back in the barrel of rice?

edit2: I tried putting it in and it says device driver software was not successfuly installed. same result when changing usb slots.

I'll try things out at device manager. on device manager it has that yellow icon "!"

tried clicking on update it and yes still the same.

edit 3:lol I just tested it on another computer and it's working like a charm but how come on my pc it doesn't work?
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  8. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Well thats just a software (driver) problem then; curious timing however. Try uninstall of that ! device and reboot. The most important thing is that it is not fried.
    Cotton_Cup says thanks.
  9. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    btw thank you guys, it's done now lol after keeping it in the rice barrel longer XD.